Blue Jays Discussion: Steve Pearce: comeback machine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
I am sticking with the opinion that the biggest mistake Rogers/Bell made was sending Anthopolous out the door after building this team, building relationships and trust with players on this team, then bringing in a talking head friggin' suit that effectively ended any of those pre-existing relationships. That was evident with Edwin leaving and it's evident by the players' apathy to play for this team in the final years of their contract (e.g. Estrada).

So so dumb. Yet these fools get paid so so much.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
What a huge disappointment our core hitters have been this year!

I'm looking at Tulowitzki especially.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I am sticking with the opinion that the biggest mistake Rogers/Bell made was sending Anthopolous out the door after building this team, building relationships and trust with players on this team, then bringing in a talking head friggin' suit that effectively ended any of those pre-existing relationships. That was evident with Edwin leaving and it's evident by the players' apathy to play for this team in the final years of their contract (e.g. Estrada).

The way I see it, this is basically Anthopolous' team, with a few Shatkin patches. AA left Shatkins holding the bag and we are now paying the price and will be until Shatkins builds it back up.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast

I agree. AA was about winning. shep is about business.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Let me just poke a couple of holes into your opinion then.

1) Anthopoulos was offered a contract and left with reports citing lack of autonomy as his reason. He then proceeded to sign with the Dodgers as VP of baseball ops, a position that gives him zero ability to make decisions. You can conspire all you want about the situation, but it's just as easy to make the claim that he feared criticism and lost the comfort level that a true "talking head friggin' suit" provided in Beeston.

2) The "talking head friggin' suit" has more baseball management experience than Alex Anthopoulos, and is known for developing some of the best current minds in baseball. Current GMs that have worked under him include: Ross Atkins, Mike Hazen, Mike Chernoff, David Stearns, Derek Falvey, and Neal Huntington (and this does not include the many other front office executives).

3) If players purposely play poorly in the final years of their contracts then they're idiots. Nobody wants to play bad when they're approaching their free agency... and Estrada is the worst example considering he was the first free agent they signed and both parties made it a priority to get the deal done.

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
I agree. AA was about winning. shep is about business.

AA was all about winning now, and had a complete disregard for the future of the organization.

He did some good things and some bad things, but I don't think it takes a great GM to trade away most of our your farm system for short-term help. Any GM can do that.

I give him a lot of credit for building up an incredible depth of minor league pitching, but I have to equally criticize him for leaving the team as the oldest in MLB with almost no prospects by trading them all.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
The best thing AA did was leave when he did because if he actually stuck around all the people in love with him would probably be calling for his head by now lol....like they were 6 months before he turned into a god. The entire thing is ridiculous honestly.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The best thing AA did was leave when he did because if he actually stuck around all the people in love with him would probably be calling for his head by now lol....like they were 6 months before he turned into a god. The entire thing is ridiculous honestly.

6 months? People wanted Anthopoulos' head for like 3 years, ever since he made the Marlins/Mets trades and the team went from off-season uber-hype to not making the playoffs.

The Anthopoulos cycle was him being a genius for like a year or two, then being a cheap, prospect-focused garbageman for several years, then a genius for another year and then he left and he ascended to godhood even though it's basically his roster that exists as the current Blue Jays and has limped along to the point they're at.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
AA has done a great job fooling all the fans into thinking he's a great GM. He sold the farm for 2 playoff runs and then left when he knew everything was going to collapse.

Shapiro >>> AA AINEC

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

it will forever be the clearest statement from Rogers about what kind of owners they are - they make the playoffs for the first time in 25yrs...and replace their GM. with a beancounter no less.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
and i love how 2yrs later, with half the roster overhauled and $100m of shapkins payroll, this is atill called AA's team.

Shapkins inherited a great team, with next to no longterm committments, and have done nothing but collect low risk bit pieces for 2yrs.

and no, pretty much none of the '"sold farm" would be helping us at the moment, and AA did an amazing job rebuilding a barren farm twice in 5yrs and trading the overrated ones for elite talent..

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
and i love how 2yrs later, with half the roster overhauled and $100m of shapkins payroll, this is atill called AA's team.

Shapkins inherited a great team, with next to no longterm committments, and have done nothing but collect low risk bit pieces for 2yrs.

and no, pretty much none of the '"sold farm" would be helping us at the moment, and AA did an amazing job rebuilding a barren farm twice in 5yrs and trading the overrated ones for elite talent..

It was a lot easier to rebuild a farm when you could collect comp picks like candy.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

Majority of the main pieces on the team now were acquisitions by AA.

The current did inherit a good team but they were declining.

AA did a good job of collecting prospects but he then traded most of them. No problem there because the team went to the playoffs two years in a row.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Apparently AA left no long term commitments. Yet, we have a 32 year old shortstop who has a sub .300 OBP, on pace to hit about 12 home runs and has seen his overall game declined locked up for another 4 years at 74 million

Such brilliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad