Blue Jays Discussion: Steve Pearce: comeback machine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I was thinking the same thing. Gurriel has always been batting lower in the lineup despite hitting very well. Jansen 7th? Makes no sense. One of their best hitters on the team.

Those four are all guys who needs the AB's too due to injuries, both this year and years prior. Their development is paramount. Batting behind Jonathan Davis and Ryan McBroom is a waste.

That's nitpicky of me, but I don't like when common sense is not employed.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Those four are all guys who needs the AB's too due to injuries, both this year and years prior. Their development is paramount. Batting behind Jonathan Davis and Ryan McBroom is a waste.

That's nitpicky of me, but I don't like when common sense is not employed.

Over the course of the year they would likely lose out on about 50 at bats. The other thing that doesn't make sense is the players ahead of them aren't that good.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
5 innings and 9 SO. 53 strikes out of 72 pitches. He has pitched better recently. Seems a bit inconsistent.

Final line
IP: 6 2/3
Hits: 4
ER:
K's: 12
BB: 2

100 pitches (72 strikes)

Terrific outing. Thats the SRF we saw last season and maybe even better.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
We really need a 2b lol. Dee gordon where you at

I think Gurriel could fill that role soon if need be. I think he's playing SS right now, so not inconceivable to move him to 2b as a fill in. No need to spend assets on a mediocre player like Dee Gordon.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I like overdrive too, and when I'm home and can listen, I tend to. I like Hayes as he plays it more 'straight' then Sid does. That said, he can on that show because his role is that of the moderator.

It is somewhat magical hearing these people talk about Vlad/Bo though. It's like seeing a kids first Christmas.

And I agree overall that the Tim/Sids and Overdrive type of shows are absolutely destroying the McCown style personalities. There far more flexible, far more tapped in, and far less geriatric, thus allowing them to penetrate the most desired audience (male, aged ~20-40).

As long as you don't appear to be a 'fake' on-air personality, or seem like you're trying to persuade the audience into one line of thinking for the entire show, then I like the content.

That's why I enjoy listening to Hayes, O and McLennan. There doesn't appear to be any fake personalities. A bunch of fellas talking sports and their genuine reaction to games. Add some humour to the mix and it's not a bad show.

Now Hayes does bring up his own 'hot takes' from time to time. But doesn't go Sid Sixeiro every show. I used to enjoy Tim and Sid when they were back on radio, but as soon as they got onto TV, either writers/producers kept pushing Sid to surprise the audience, or that's just who he is.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
We really need a 2b lol. Dee gordon where you at

Lollllll yeah Dee Gordon is the solution.... godddd that contract is terrible yes let's eat more money on this rosterll just to upgrade the speed and 2b.....this team sucks...getting crushed again by 10+ runs. We have a run differential of -82..worst in the A.L. TEAR IT DOWN. Outside of Stroman, Sanchez, Osuna everyone should be available in trade.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
As long as you don't appear to be a 'fake' on-air personality, or seem like you're trying to persuade the audience into one line of thinking for the entire show, then I like the content.

That's why I enjoy listening to Hayes, O and McLennan. There doesn't appear to be any fake personalities. A bunch of fellas talking sports and their genuine reaction to games. Add some humour to the mix and it's not a bad show.

Now Hayes does bring up his own 'hot takes' from time to time. But doesn't go Sid Sixeiro every show. I used to enjoy Tim and Sid when they were back on radio, but as soon as they got onto TV, either writers/producers kept pushing Sid to surprise the audience, or that's just who he is.

Sid still thinks he's that new hipster trying to prove himself. His shtick is old and lame. Dude is in his mid 40's trying to play this fake ignorant hipster roll on radio..It's pathetic. Dude needs to grow up

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Lollllll yeah Dee Gordon is the solution.... godddd that contract is terrible yes let's eat more money on this rosterll just to upgrade the speed and 2b.....this team sucks...getting crushed again by 10+ runs. We have a run differential of -82..worst in the A.L. TEAR IT DOWN. Outside of Stroman, Sanchez, Osuna everyone should be available in trade.

I am beginning to believe this team will have a very difficult time contending next year.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Please blow it up and get prospects to insulate Vladchette. The team isn't going anywhere and the longer we spin our wheels the worse off we will be.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
I am beginning to believe this team will have a very difficult time contending next year.

It's hard not to agree at this point. Remains to be seen if Shapiro's stance on staying competitive with this group is how he actually feels, or just posturing.

But I feel like the young pieces we have in place and the prospects coming up, that our 'rebuild' could be quicker than expected.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I'm fairly certain they knew this was coming. That's why they spent money to shore up team depth the past 2 years by signing mid level free agents to shorter term deals and not touch the farm. They even doubled down on it already by paying money to take 2 Pirates prospects, signing a young Gurriel out of Cuba and heavily investing in player development personnel.

We are essentially 2 years ahead of rebuilding the system then most think simply because the major league team has just hit a wall and assume the front office is just as reactionary as they are.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I think it's hard to say that they're spinning their wheels when they:

1. Are not buying
2. Haven't dealt prospects (or at least impactful ones)
3. Are not rushing players
4. Are not signing expensive free agent contracts

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I'm fairly certain they knew this was coming. That's why they spent money to shore up team depth the past 2 years by signing mid level free agents to shorter term deals and not touch the farm. They even doubled down on it already by paying money to take 2 Pirates prospects, signing a young Gurriel out of Cuba and heavily investing in player development personnel.

We are essentially 2 years ahead of rebuilding the system then most think simply because the major league team has just hit a wall and assume the front office is just as reactionary as they are.

Anyone who thinks this team has just "hit a wall" needs to give their head a shake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad