Blue Jays Discussion: Steve Pearce: comeback machine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I can't stand him either. I think he represents everything that's wrong with the casual Toronto sport fan, tbh. Hayes has a bit of that in him too; the 'knows enough to form an opinion, but doesn't know enough for it to be completely intelligent', save for the fact that Hayes is not a clown.

But I'm quite critical of the Toronto radio\tv sports personalities, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I feel like if that's your full time job, then you should be constantly grinding out more research. An Aub or a Woodman shouldn't know more than a Sid, working a full time job, and yet they (as an example) can walk circles around him in terms of knowledge. It just shows sheer and utter laziness, or wanton disregard for information...which is worse.

It's a full time job but his show is usually 90 minutes-2 hours. When you include commercials they're probably on the air 75 minutes/105 minutes. There job isn't just to talk baseball. Their job is to talk baseball/hockey/cfl/nfl/basketball/mls/canada soccer. Then you have to dedicate a certain amount of time to each. If you try and saturate your audience with more research on a certain subject more people likely turn of their tv than tune in.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Tim/Sid (mostly Sid) frequent the same soccer bars as I do so I've hung out with either of them quite a few times.

Sid knows more than he lets on (he did not think it was JP Arencibia's team although I will continue to use that tweet in perpetuity). But you need to play to the common denominator, and most people are dumb. So as it goes.

Honestly, with the rise of soccer coverage in this country Tim/Sid are better positioned than most to get an even more prominent role down the road (Bob McCown/Damien Cox trying to talk about Alphonso Davies was some of the most painful radio I've heard this year).

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I can't stand him either. I think he represents everything that's wrong with the casual Toronto sport fan, tbh. Hayes has a bit of that in him too; the 'knows enough to form an opinion, but doesn't know enough for it to be completely intelligent', save for the fact that Hayes is not a clown.

But I'm quite critical of the Toronto radio\tv sports personalities, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I feel like if that's your full time job, then you should be constantly grinding out more research. An Aub or a Woodman shouldn't know more than a Sid, working a full time job, and yet they (as an example) can walk circles around him in terms of knowledge. It just shows sheer and utter laziness, or wanton disregard for information...which is worse.

Haha funny you mention hayes. I listen everyday to overdrive, and its noticeable that hayes has just learned the names Vladdy Guerrero Jnr and Bo Bichette he is saying those 2 names 2 or 3 times a show now, he includes them in his 5 core players to build around. Stroman, sanchez, Osuna, Bichette and Guerrero and then states every one else is available in trades in his opinion (in terms of full rebuild).

Ive notice hayes do this with the leafs too, he will talk about nothing in the pipeline then Kapanen starts to make some noise and he is included in future lineups from basically being a nothing a week before.

I do like overdrive and hayes though

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Overdrive is awesome with Hayes and O-dog (not a Noodles fan at all). Without Hayes and O-dog its a brutal show to listen to.

Though i will say Simmons as a fill in this week offers some good views even though i think he is a massive idiot. Though listening to the show i came away with the feelings that Simmons is highly intelligent and knows what he is talking with an immense knowledge of sports but plays the villain/critic for views and clicks. I think he just comes up with ridiculous POVs for the ratings. I dont believe he is that stupid any more... kind of like Grand Maester Pycelle for any of you GOT fans.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Overdrive is awesome with Hayes and O-dog (not a Noodles fan at all). Without Hayes and O-dog its a brutal show to listen to.

Though i will say Simmons as a fill in this week offers some good views even though i think he is a massive idiot. Though listening to the show i came away with the feelings that Simmons is highly intelligent and knows what he is talking with an immense knowledge of sports but plays the villain/critic for views and clicks. I think he just comes up with ridiculous POVs for the ratings. I dont believe he is that stupid any more... kind of like Grand Maester Pycelle for any of you GOT fans.

last week was dreadful Derek Taylor and matt cauz those two are atrocious. Desperate to talk about CFL, im sorry but even CFL players don't want to hear about the CFL and very obnoxious voices and simpsons quotes daily (I love the simpsons but I don't need quotes daily)

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
It's a full time job but his show is usually 90 minutes-2 hours. When you include commercials they're probably on the air 75 minutes/105 minutes. There job isn't just to talk baseball. Their job is to talk baseball/hockey/cfl/nfl/basketball/mls/canada soccer. Then you have to dedicate a certain amount of time to each. If you try and saturate your audience with more research on a certain subject more people likely turn of their tv than tune in.

I am profoundly confident Aub (shout out to the homie Aub jumping up in the example) has more relevant knowledge about MLB/NBA/TFC/NHL/NFL, and would obliterate Sid if measured against him. To the point where I would put money on it. And he's one single person, among several, whom I would put in that category.

There's no valid excuse for Sid, unless as I mentioned it's a role he plays, which I think it is to a certain extent.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Haha funny you mention hayes. I listen everyday to overdrive, and its noticeable that hayes has just learned the names Vladdy Guerrero Jnr and Bo Bichette he is saying those 2 names 2 or 3 times a show now, he includes them in his 5 core players to build around. Stroman, sanchez, Osuna, Bichette and Guerrero and then states every one else is available in trades in his opinion (in terms of full rebuild).

Ive notice hayes do this with the leafs too, he will talk about nothing in the pipeline then Kapanen starts to make some noise and he is included in future lineups from basically being a nothing a week before.

I like overdrive too, and when I'm home and can listen, I tend to. I like Hayes as he plays it more 'straight' then Sid does. That said, he can on that show because his role is that of the moderator.

It is somewhat magical hearing these people talk about Vlad/Bo though. It's like seeing a kids first Christmas.

And I agree overall that the Tim/Sids and Overdrive type of shows are absolutely destroying the McCown style personalities. There far more flexible, far more tapped in, and far less geriatric, thus allowing them to penetrate the most desired audience (male, aged ~20-40).

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
sports radio is the worst. only makes you dumber, angrier, and less informed.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Yeah McCown is a really good interviewer if he knows what he's talking about, which is basically hockey, Canadian football and pre-strike baseball. So...hockey.

My favourite part though is his absolutely ridiculous rumours/sources. LeBron to Toronto is the GOAT Toronto sports radio moment.

On the whole though, I avoid sports radio unless its Paul Finebaum during Iron Bowl week or when Auburn/Alabama are hiring a new coach. That should be required listening.

oilers89

Jun 4, 2008
Medicine Hat
Yeah McCown is a really good interviewer if he knows what he's talking about, which is basically hockey, Canadian football and pre-strike baseball. So...hockey.

My favourite part though is his absolutely ridiculous rumours/sources. LeBron to Toronto is the GOAT Toronto sports radio moment.

On the whole though, I avoid sports radio unless its Paul Finebaum during Iron Bowl week or when Auburn/Alabama are hiring a new coach. That should be required listening.

When did he say this lebron to toronto haha. Do u have the clip

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
last week was dreadful Derek Taylor and matt cauz those two are atrocious. Desperate to talk about CFL, im sorry but even CFL players don't want to hear about the CFL and very obnoxious voices and simpsons quotes daily (I love the simpsons but I don't need quotes daily)

Tell me about it. It was awful

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

When you take out all the best prospects and players out of a trade scenario you are left with chum... I bet the GM's a lining up for Bautista, Lirano, TuLo, Estrada. etc.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

but it's their job to be repetitive. Their job. Repetitiveness is their job.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

when paul beeston was running the club — the person who could vouch for the depth of attachment for the blue jays more than any other — there was always only the hope that the fans would rebound after two decades in the wilderness.

It was never a sure thing. Hence all the talk about payroll parameters in the alex anthopoulos era, and attendance and payroll being linked.

but in addition to the jolt of cash provided to the franchise since 2015 — one source says the last two years have been the club’s only profitable ones of the rogers ownership — the last two seasons have offered the clearest kind of proof both of how rich a baseball market toronto can be and how tightly the blue jays are woven into the national sports fabric, no small factor when it comes to the club’s glistening television ratings.

but here’s the key point: Even beeston was guessing those things to be true.

Shapiro and blue jays ownership now have the benefit of a rolling, two-year consumer survey that is accurate to a hundredth of one per cent, 99 times out of 100: The blue jays fan base is a gold mine.

Knowing this, the proper course of action in the coming days before the trade deadline and in the months ahead should be very evident: Figure out what needs to be done to develop a truly sustainable winner at rogers centre and get on with the job as quickly as possible. Every day delayed is a day wasted.

exactly how to do that is the duty of shapiro and general manager ross atkins, but common sense suggests it would look something like this:

1. Take the risks necessary to invest – even over-invest – in building the best farm system in baseball.

2. As that prospect pipeline produces both elite major leaguers and depth pieces, spend early and often to retain them through most of their primes.

3. When and where necessary, spend aggressively to compliment that homegrown core with missing pieces on the free-agent market.

The beauty of all this is now that ownership knows exactly how blue jays fans will respond, it’s a low-risk investment.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Bo is 1 for 3 batting .390
Vlad is 0 for 3. Batting .250

Gurriel is 2 for 2 batting .370. I wonder if he will get promoted soon?
Jansen 2 for 2 with an RBI.
Alford 1 for 2.

SRF has given up on one on 3 singles. 25 pitches and 20 of them are strikes.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Were they?

giphy.gif

Bo is 1 for 3 batting .390
Vlad is 0 for 3. Batting .250

Gurriel is 2 for 2 batting .370. I wonder if he will get promoted soon?
Jansen 2 for 2 with an RBI.
Alford 1 for 2.

SRF has given up on one on 3 singles. 25 pitches and 20 of them are strikes.

Just a note on that NH game: that lineup is stupid. The manager needs to not screw around with the actual prospects AB's. Alford, Urena, Gurriel, Jansen, the rest...get it together lol.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Just a note on that NH game: that lineup is stupid. The manager needs to not screw around with the actual prospects AB's. Alford, Urena, Gurriel, Jansen, the rest...get it together lol.

I was thinking the same thing. Gurriel has always been batting lower in the lineup despite hitting very well. Jansen 7th? Makes no sense. One of their best hitters on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad