Blue Jays Discussion: Steve Pearce: comeback machine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Somewhat surprised they wouldn't go after guys they know a bit better

What does "lower-level" exactly pertain to? I'm guessing not AAA or AA, but A+ and below, or like around rookie ball only?

Because that way it could be guys they know.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
What does "lower-level" exactly pertain to? I'm guessing not AAA or AA, but A+ and below, or like around rookie ball only?

Because that way it could be guys they know.

I would guess low level means A+ or lower, maybe A or lower. It's entirely a relative term but I can't imagine it means none of the full season leagues

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
"Hernandez has plus speed and knows how to use it on the bases, making him a potential 20-20 threat" this sounds good to me, if he was #9 in Houston system what would he be in ours?

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Wasn't it 4.475 last year, 8.525 mill this year + 5.5 in Aoki? So 13 mill + 5.5 mill contract.

Well I see I should really cut down on the Aoki thing since Houston already paid him some.

14.9 mill. 2.4 mill on Aoki we would owe. I mean 12 mill in value + paying 2.9 mill for 3 pretty good prospects and an OF who could provide a bit of value as a stop gap if we want is not terrible.

Closer to 12M as you have to account for Hutch - he was owed around 3M for part of last season and all of his 2.3M this season.

Acekicker123

Dec 31, 2007
Mississauga, Ontario
Almost every single one of the Indians' top prospects is struggling this season.

What that means is that any so-called "top prospects" list is likely in a state of flux and so I wouldn't be surprised if we see some surprising names.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
They got a good prospect for a mediocre pitcher. They should be taking on a lot of money.

Possibly but i think more teams viewed Liriano as a shut down lefty reliever hence the number of rumored teams and return.

17:1 K:BB vs lefties. Liriano is hard on lefties and most teams knew that.

Seems like the commodity was Liriano the shutdown LOOGY vs the mediocre starter.

Could be a littleof what both of us think.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
They got a good prospect for a mediocre pitcher. They should be taking on a lot of money.

We will find out I guess, but if you really think about they are only paying 2 mill of Liriano's salary at this point.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Tom Pannone and Samad Taylor to the Jays

Pannone is 23 and 6-1 with a 2.62 ERA in AA Akron this year.

Taylor is 19 and has a .300/.328/.467 line in Short-A Mahoning Valley.

Sickles had Pannone as a C+ prospect (fringe top 20) at the start of the year, with Taylor as a C prospect.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Almost every single one of the Indians' top prospects is struggling this season.

What that means is that any so-called "top prospects" list is likely in a state of flux and so I wouldn't be surprised if we see some surprising names.

Yeah all of their top prospects are either off limits or nothing super special, so I can see the Jays going for a steal off of the board. I mean they drafted them, they would know better than MLB pipeline probably.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Samad Taylor looks interesting. 133 wRC+ in the same level as Bo and Vlad were in as a 19 yo middle infielder.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Likely younger players so tougher to get on top prospects list.

The higher upside younger guys have enough upside to usually get on a top 30 list though, especially a list that isn't chalk full of great talent like the Indians.

So basically not one of the better younger guys, and a million years away from the majors, and a low probability of reaching your ceiling to boot.

If a guy isn't a top 30 prospect it doesn't mean they're useless, what it does mean is your not currently worth much.

Look at the Jays list for instance. Yennsy Diaz is #25, lower level guy who has some solid upside, but lets be real he's not worth that much in a trade, we traded a better guy for Feldman last year.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Samad Taylor looks interesting. 133 wRC+ in the same level as Bo and Vlad were in as a 19 yo middle infielder.

Pannone's numbers look pretty nice too. He's not big, so maybe that's why he's not ranked highly, but it's tough to find anything wrong with his production that's for sure.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Longenhagen prospect notes on May 2nd. Pannonne has been promoted to AA since then and has put up some solid numbers. Probably time to reevaluate.

Thomas Pannone, LHP, Cleveland (Profile)
Level: Hi-A Age: 23 Org Rank: NR Top 100: NR
Line: 7 IP, 3 H, 0 BB, 8 K

Notes
Pannone was the subject of one of David Laurila's recent interviews and has now allowed just 10 hits and seven walks in 27.2 innings this year while striking out 39. He's throwing a bit harder this year, mostly 88-91, and working his fastball up and curveball down effectively. At 23, it's prudent to be skeptical of performance in Single-A, but if Pannone gets promoted and continues to throw well at Double-A, it will be time to re-evaluate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad