Blue Jays Discussion: Steve Pearce: comeback machine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
And the Yankees got $1.5M in int'l bonus pool money too wtf

Hell wouldn't have minded the Jays getting in on that

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I still feel like an OF is heading out today.

I can see multiple, and possibly more in the offseason.

I would not mind seeing Smith Jr. and Hernandez in the MLB this year (or definitely next year) with Alford and Pompey in AAA to start unless one of them really impresses. Then distribute Fields, Ramirez, Cecilliani, Parmley, and any other OF depth you have amongst AA and AAA as you see it. Not terrible injury insurance IMO, and then you've got some decent guys in the lower minors coming up once they get too old or can not make the MLB.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
+ a decent amount of cash though. Assuming we do not give up cash in this deal on top of taking Aoki, the Jays took on close 18.5 mill over his tenure to get that though. It's probably still worth the money, but there was more to it.

13.5M not 18M as Houston will be assuming the remaining 4.5M.

Jays got 1.5 WAR out of Liriano which is around 12M in value. So they got fair value out of Liriano for what they were paying him plus 3 prospects and Aoki.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Teoscar Hernandez is a nice get for a couple months of Liriano and Aoki as a salary dump. He's totally blocked in Houston, but he has something close to 20-20 potential. A good all-around OF.

Fangraphs has him as Houston's 8th ranked prospect from their rankings with a 45 FV. MLB Pipeline has him 9th and a 50 FV.

Fangraphs said:
Hernandez went unpicked in the 2015 Rule 5 draft after a disappointing year at Corpus Christi but simplified his footwork in the box. (It wasn’t all that complicated to begin with, but his front foot is down much earlier now than it was in 2015.) Now he tracks pitches better and lets his natural bat speed and wrist strength generate the quality of his contact. The contact issues that plagued Hernandez in 2015 seem solved and the rest of his tools, all average or a tick above, are all free to play in games now that Hernandez is a functional offensive player. While Hernandez’s game power is limited a bit by his newfound approach, he’s an above-average runner capable of playing all three outfield spots (I have him projected in the corners because I can’t see him supplanting Springer in center) and has an above-average arm. Even if the hit/power combination isn’t sexy in a corner spot, it’s nevertheless viable, and Hernandez projects as a second-division regular. With Houston’s glut of outfielders at the upper levels, he might be relegated to luxurious fourth-outfielder duty as long as he’s in the org.

MLB Pipeline said:
A bargain signing for $20,000 out of the Dominican Republic in 2011, Hernandez swiftly established himself as one of the best all-around athletes in the Astros' system. His prospect stock took a huge hit after he hit .219/.275/.362 in Double-A in '15, but he made adjustments last year, batting .307/.377/.459 in the upper Minors and making his big league debut. He homered three times in his first nine starts for Houston before cooling off down the stretch.
Hernandez sparked his turnaround by toning down an overly aggressive approach and improving his ability to recognize pitches. While he can make further improvements in both regards, he's doing a better job of making consistent contact (cutting his strikeout rate from 25 percent in '15 to 18 percent last year) and tapping into his solid raw power from the right side of the plate. He has started to wait for pitches to drive, and he draws a decent amount of walks rather than getting himself out with impatience.
Hernandez has plus speed and knows how to use it on the bases, making him a potential 20-20 threat. His quickness doesn't play as well in the outfield, where his instincts remain somewhat raw. He's a competent center fielder and more of an asset in right field, where he has a strong arm and saw most of his action in 2016.

It doesn't seem all that sexy, but for pending FA Liriano and a couple months of salary dump taking on Aoki's deal for the rest of the year, that's pretty solid.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto

Jays got 1.5 WAR out of Liriano which is around 12M in value. So they got fair value out of Liriano for what they were paying him plus 3 prospects and Aoki.

Is that confirmed anywhere? I'd have to assume the Jays are eating a large amount if not all of both salaries to get Teoscar.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Fowler has an inured leg and Kaprielian has TJ surgery. A's should have got more.

Agreed. Yankees told the Cubs give us one of the best prospects in the game for Chapman. Then want multiple prospects for 2.5 years of Miller.

Now they want 2.5 years of Gray and the Yankees said the guys we got for Miller and Chapman are off limits - take our injured guys or lower prospects.

I would have told Cashman go F yourself.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Wasn't it 4.475 last year, 8.525 mill this year + 5.5 in Aoki? So 13 mill + 5.5 mill contract.

Well I see I should really cut down on the Aoki thing since Houston already paid him some.

14.9 mill. 2.4 mill on Aoki we would owe. I mean 12 mill in value + paying 2.9 mill for 3 pretty good prospects and an OF who could provide a bit of value as a stop gap if we want is not terrible.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Agreed. Yankees told the Cubs give us one of the best prospects in the game for Chapman. Then want multiple prospects for 2.5 years of Miller.

Now they want 2.5 years of Gray and the Yankees said the guys we got for Miller and Chapman are off limits - take our injured guys or lower prospects.

I would have told Cashman go F yourself.

Exactly.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Guess we're not getting an MLB.com top 100 guy since they have 2 and they're both top of the line.

Yandy Diaz would be solid though. His BB/K rate is unbelievable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad