Blue Jays Discussion: Steve Pearce: comeback machine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Ranging from A- to AA, Pannone has pitched 243 IP of 2.30 ERA since the start of 2016, and the peripherals aren't terribly off-base.

He's not super old for any of those leagues either. I'm intrigued.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
hernandez is a great get. should start for us right away.

LHP pannone looks like a borucki type prospect with a chance to be a decent rp fairly soon.

2B taylor has no tools but has put up very nice numbers for his age and level so far.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Pannone is old for AA though, yes? Still has a great numbers there.

A little old for double A but at the same time it's not really to bad, especially since he seems to be doing pretty well there.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Turned 23 in April? He's younger than Borucki...

Borucki was injured though I believe? I think it's only a year, but I normally thought 21 was A+, 22 AA, 23 AAA. Obviously development isn't linear, and his stats have been amazing.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
This new Yankee management is going to be a serious long-term problem for us.

Acekicker123

Dec 31, 2007
Mississauga, Ontario
Interesting contrast.

Hernandez is the well-regarded guy on top prospect lists with tools but underwhelming AAA performance in the hitter-friendly PCL.

Pannone is the "low end not top 30" prospect without the stuff/tools but looks good on paper.

It'll be interesting to see which of these guys pans out.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Borucki was injured though I believe? I think it's only a year, but I normally thought 21 was A+, 22 AA, 23 AAA. Obviously development isn't linear, and his stats have been amazing.

Borucki missed essentially two years of development. That said, the concept of "old for the level" should be taken with a grain of salt when it comes to pitchers. They are as non-linear as it gets. I'd save the hard line age at level stuff for position players, but even then it shouldn't be black and white.

As for Pannone, he looks like he's essentially a Brad Mills type.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

The average age of AA for New Hampshire is like 25. Baseball-reference says Borucki is 1.4 years younger than average, and he was born March 31st, 1994 (23 years old). Pannone is 9 days younger, born April 9th of the same year. So a little under 25 I would say.

Smith Jr. is 24 (turning 25 in October) and he is 2.7 years younger than the average. So you are looking at like 27 or 27.5 being the average age in AAA.

Pannone will not be a top prospect, but he's a LHP starter, something the Jays did not have really at all besides Borucki and Perdomo. Seriously, those two are the only LHP the Jays have in the top 30 at all, and luckily both are still starters right now. There are some LOOGY's in the system throughout, and a few more LHP starters/relievers who can stretch a bit, but Pannone gives the Jays something they lack.

Taylor is just a wildcard guy. He's young and has done decently well. Jays have some middle infielders, but when you are young, position does not really matter as long as you can play everyone.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I imagine Estrada will be moved out

I see the Jays in on some August deals too. Maybe not Morales, Pearce or Bautista if they are not moved, but maybe some relievers like Loup? He had interest from the Cubs apparently (before Justin Wilson was moved there). Carrera is another guy I can see going to a team needing a better 4th OF or if someone gets injured.

Heck, maybe even Aoki can turn into something :sarcasm:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
The average age of AA for New Hampshire is like 25. Baseball-reference says Borucki is 1.4 years younger than average, and he was born March 31st, 1994 (23 years old). Pannone is 9 days younger, born April 9th of the same year. So a little under 25 I would say.

Smith Jr. is 24 (turning 25 in October) and he is 2.7 years younger than the average. So you are looking at like 27 or 27.5 being the average age in AAA.

Pannone will not be a top prospect, but he's a LHP starter, something the Jays did not have really at all besides Borucki and Perdomo. Seriously, those two are the only LHP the Jays have in the top 30 at all, and luckily both are still starters right now. There are some LOOGY's in the system throughout, and a few more LHP starters/relievers who can stretch a bit, but Pannone gives the Jays something they lack.

Taylor is just a wildcard guy. He's young and has done decently well. Jays have some middle infielders, but when you are young, position does not really matter as long as you can play everyone.

There's a difference between the average age of the league and the average age of the prospects as there's always a bunch of filler, especially in AAA and AA. If he's 1.4 years younger than the average age of the league, he's probably slightly older than most prospects int he league, but that's fine because of his(Borucki) prior injury issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad