Blue Jays Discussion: Steve Pearce: comeback machine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Jays scouting Cards AAA team. Reporter guesses it's about Joe Smith. I`m bad at knowing other teams systems, and bad at gauging MLB trade value. So, tell me what you think we could get?

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Jays scouting Cards AAA team. Reporter guesses it's about Joe Smith. I`m bad at knowing other teams systems, and bad at gauging MLB trade value. So, tell me what you think we could get?
Mostly older guys on Memphis so likely someone like
Breyvic Valera or Alex Mejiao or Jose Garcia.

Jay's will be targeting middle infielders and corner outfielders in trades.

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/top-24-prospects-st-louis-cardinals/

I suck at trade value as well, but there's a start. Probably not gonna get the 60 or 65 FV guys though.

I was going through the MLB top 30 list and all their top 6 guys were all in Memphis(AAA) but 5 were top 100 guys and I wasn't sure if Smith had that much value, and then I kept going down and AAA guys were few and far between.

They just recently traded for Tyler O'Neill who was exactly 100 on the MLB top 100. I like to get my hands on him but can't imagine they traded for him just to flip him 2 weeks later for a free agent pen arm as good as Smith has been the Cards are under .500 and 4.5 games back of the Cubs.

Dakota Hudson maybe? IDK, he's only had 1 start in Memphis. If it's not him, and not one of the top 6 there's almost like 0 AAA guys all the way down to 25 or so on the MLB list

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Cubs trading for Justin Wilson. Lefty with similar numbers and contract to Joe Smith this season. K/9 12.87 v. 12.27 in Smith's favour, BB/9 2.52 to 3.57 in Smith's favour, FIP 2.31 to 3.22 in Smith's favour. fWAR 1.0 to 0.9 in Smith's favour. Wilson's ERA is better but they should be valued similarly.

Cubs trading Candelairo+, and he was ranked 87 by MLB.com so who knows maybe we could get a top 100 guy for Smith

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Cubs getting Aliva as well so maybe scratch that, depending on what the plus is from the Cubs side. Lefties tend to return more as well.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
They got rid of that PTBNL being a recent draft pick no? There was that big issue with everyone and their dog knowing Trea Turner was the PTBNL but he had to stay with San Diego's minor league system who knew they weren't getting any return on him.

The old rule was it had to be a year after the draft but a workaround was you could name the player 6 months after the trade at the most so you could trade 6 months after his draft then reaching the 12 months after the 6 PTBNL months pass. I thought they changed that to a hard you can't trade a recent drafted player until the offseason and no PTBNL nonsense. Just once the offseason is here you can trade them as known players in the trade.

They did but only after the player is named, hasnt been named yet so waiting on that before that rule becomes pertinent.

Could possibly be 2 other things - Texas and Colorado agreed on a list of prospects who would be a suitable return;

1. It could be based on Lucroy's performance. The better he does/further the Rockies go in the playoffs the better prospect Colorado gives - happens a lot more in hockey and basketball than any other sport

2. I never heard this happening but just me thinking outside of the box - perhaps they agreed on a few prospects and Colorado asked Texas for it to be a PTBNL so it gives Colorado a wider prospects pool to use for more potential deals before the deadline and whichever prospect is left Texas gets after the deadline.

Lucroy's expiring deal and his 0.2 WAR while a weak market for catchers gives them a very weak stance so they probably rolled out the red carpet for the Rockies to maximize their return.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Cubs getting Aliva as well so maybe scratch that, depending on what the plus is from the Cubs side. Lefties tend to return more as well.

Great for the Cubs. With 1b and 3b blocked they have no need Candelairo and they really want to repeat. Wilson comes with control too..

Still early but im underwhelmed with the return for relievers. Im sure most teams see Liriano as a reliever so im not expecting a big return for Smith and Liriano.

O'Neill would be a solid return for Smith but i assume unlikely.

As stated earlier i like Brett Phillips from the Brewers.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
They did but only after the player is named, hasnt been named yet so waiting on that before that rule becomes pertinent.

Could possibly be 2 other things - Texas and Colorado agreed on a list of prospects who would be a suitable return;

1. It could be based on Lucroy's performance. The better he does/further the Rockies go in the playoffs the better prospect Colorado gives - happens a lot more in hockey and basketball than any other sport

2. I never heard this happening but just me thinking outside of the box - perhaps they agreed on a few prospects and Colorado asked Texas for it to be a PTBNL so it gives Colorado a wider prospects pool to use for more potential deals before the deadline and whichever prospect is left Texas gets after the deadline.

Lucroy's expiring deal and his 0.2 WAR while a weak market for catchers gives them a very weak stance so they probably rolled out the red carpet for the Rockies to maximize their return.

This line doesn't make any sense, doesn't matter if the player isn't named yet, the 2017 drafted guys aren't eligible to be traded yet, neither now or as a PTBNL. You're aren't eligible to be traded until after the season is over.

If either of those options are what's happening it cannot include 2017 drafted guys. Whoever wrote that quoted part you have in your other post doesn't realize this.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/121720476/mlb-mlbpa-agree-to-player-to-be-named-rule-change/

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
This line doesn't make any sense, doesn't matter if the player isn't named yet, the 2017 drafted guys aren't eligible to be traded yet, neither now or as a PTBNL. You're aren't eligible to be traded until after the season is over.

If either of those options are what's happening it cannot include 2017 drafted guys. Whoever wrote that quoted part you have in your other post doesn't realize this.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/121720476/mlb-mlbpa-agree-to-player-to-be-named-rule-change/

You are correct. MLBTR backtracked on what they originally reported.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

the blue jays, if they overcommit in the wrong spots this winter, could end up in a similar spot despite a payroll of around $165 million. Their farm system includes two potential future cornerstones in vladimir guerrero jr., and bo bichette, but there’s a gap before they’ll be ready and little surplus to deal from to get immediate help for the big-league club.

beyond marcus stroman, aaron sanchez and roberto osuna, there’s little upside to be found on the roster for 2018, although a healthy josh donaldson should rebound in a big way before he hits free agency. How troy tulowitzki returns from the ligament tear in his right ankle – the blue jays didn’t reveal details sunday but the damage is said to be significant – is a major question. Justin smoak will need to repeat, while russell martin and kendrys morales will each be another year older.

and there’s no looming bounty coming before the non-waiver trade deadline passes monday afternoon at 4 p.m. Et. The blue jays most likely to be moved remain lefty francisco liriano and reliever joe smith, with a lesser chance that marco estrada gets dealt, as well.

Other opportunities are less far along, although time remains for surprise to arise, with sportsnet’s jeff blair reporting that cleveland recently phoned the blue jays to inquire about jose bautista. Any deal for bautista is complicated by veto power granted by his rights as a player with 10 years of service time, five straight with the same team and the blue jays aren’t likely to approach him without a firm offer. But pairing him with smith could solve a couple of needs for the indians.

Bautista and smith could also make some sense for the nationals, while the royals and brewers are seeking starters, although both were said to have cooled on estrada. Liriano also might hold appeal for teams seeking a swingman as the lefty can both start and relieve.

canuck89

May 17, 2014
Prince George
Bautista is a competitive guy. He loves Toronto, but you know he also loves to win.

Maybe Cleveland would be a fit for him? They've got a good team assembled there this year that could reach the World Series again. And while Bautista does have that no-trade clause from his 10/5, I imagine the prospect of mashing dingers with his good buddy EE down there would at least get him to consider waiving for Cleveland as a possibility.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Bautista is a competitive guy. He loves Toronto, but you know he also loves to win.

Maybe Cleveland would be a fit for him? They've got a good team assembled there this year that could reach the World Series again. And while Bautista does have that no-trade clause from his 10/5, I imagine the prospect of mashing dingers with his good buddy EE down there would at least get him to consider waiving for Cleveland as a possibility.

I can't think of many teams that need Bautista less than Cleveland. They have Santana and Edwin at 1B/DH, Zimmer and Brantley have both been excellent in the OF, Chisenhall is working his way back from injury, and, in the meantime, Austin Jackson is dominating in his place.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Reed to the Red Sox for 3 prospects.

RHP Gerson Bautista is one of them.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Reed to the Red Sox for 3 prospects.

RHP Gerson Bautista is one of them.

The Mets get Gerson Bautista (28'th on MLB.com's Red Sox top 30), Jamie Callahan (23'rd) and Stephen Nogosek (18'th). Interestingly they are all relief pitchers.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
The Mets get Gerson Bautista (28'th on MLB.com's Red Sox top 30), Jamie Callahan (23'rd) and Stephen Nogosek (18'th). Interestingly they are all relief pitchers.

Not that I want the Jays to target relievers, but that's a really good return for a rental reliever. Smith should be able to get something similar considering he's cheaper and having a better season.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I think J.D. Martinez's return showed how little of a market there is for sub-par defensive corner outfielders. And JD is one of the best hitters in the league.

The market in general is weak. The Dodgers are even balking at the price for Darvish. A year ago Lucroy got Milwaukee a pretty nice haul this year he gets traded for a PTBNL.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
The market in general is weak. The Dodgers are even balking at the price for Darvish. A year ago Lucroy got Milwaukee a pretty nice haul this year he gets traded for a PTBNL.

The Dodgers front office is very intelligent. They tend not to trade their good prospects. When they deal a guy, it tends to be when there's question marks (like with De Leon). Its very impressive. Doesn't surprise me that they've balked on Darvish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad