Blue Jays Discussion: Steve Pearce: comeback machine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
why do non US born players have Toronto as a no trade place, I get US players doing that, they can stay in the "land of the free" where they grew up and Canada is a whole different country. But why would a Japanese player add Toronto?

Looks to me like he doesn`t want to pitch in the AL East. Toronto, Boston, Baltimore, and New York are all on his list.

He likely didn`t put Tampa on his list because he thought it was unlikely they acquire him - that`s not really their MO.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Looks to me like he doesn`t want to pitch in the AL East. Toronto, Boston, Baltimore, and New York are all on his list.

He likely didn`t put Tampa on his list because he thought it was unlikely they acquire him - that`s not really their MO.

Yankees aren't on his list.

It's hard to get much of a read on his list, but most are done strategically rather than specifically because "I don't want to play there".

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
why do non US born players have Toronto as a no trade place, I get US players doing that, they can stay in the "land of the free" where they grew up and Canada is a whole different country. But why would a Japanese player add Toronto?

He does not want to play for a crap team?

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

His list is so random. Having 2 of the most historic teams in all of sports BOS and CHC on his no trade list makes no sense to me but ultimately it only has to make sense to him.

I would think most players would love to play their home games at Wrigley and Fenway in front of those crowds and on contending teams.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
A lot of supposed hitter friendly parks (and Detroit/Oakland) on that list.

But I mean no one wants to play in Oakland so that checks out.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
He does not want to play for a crap team?

As far as I know players construct a list at the beginning of the season, or when that contract was signed. There is also some 'handshake' agreements like potential landing spots only being contenders.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
As far as I know players construct a list at the beginning of the season, or when that contract was signed. There is also some 'handshake' agreements like potential landing spots only being contenders.

Fair enough. Could be he wants to go to a team where he has an opportunity to play a lot. Before the start of the season, Stroman-Sanchez-Happ-Estrada-Liriano was a pretty tough rotation.

It could also be a "Texas hates Toronto" thing.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Fair enough. Could be he wants to go to a team where he has an opportunity to play a lot. Before the start of the season, Stroman-Sanchez-Happ-Estrada-Liriano was a pretty tough rotation.

It could also be a "Texas hates Toronto" thing.

We would make room for Yu Darvish lol. Happ, Estrada, and Liriano wouldn't be barriers. Who knows why Darvish has TO on his list. Historically, some Japanese players have preferred to play on the west coast. But he does have the Yankees on there as a team he'll play for. But maybe he'll make an exception for an historic team.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
We would make room for Yu Darvish lol. Happ, Estrada, and Liriano wouldn't be barriers. Who knows why Darvish has TO on his list. Historically, some Japanese players have preferred to play on the west coast. But he does have the Yankees on there as a team he'll play for. But maybe he'll make an exception for an historic team.

Time to relocate the Diamondbacks to Vancouver. :sarcasm:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If the Jays and Royals do any deal, 5 bucks says management tries to get Sparkman in the deal somehow, even if it's just some throw in. He was awful in the majors with us, but if they liked him enough to try to tough it out with the rule 5 they may try to get him via trade.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
If the Jays and Royals do any deal, 5 bucks says management tries to get Sparkman in the deal somehow, even if it's just some throw in. He was awful in the majors with us, but if they liked him enough to try to tough it out with the rule 5 they may try to get him via trade.

Do we want him eating a 40 man spot though

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Do we want him eating a 40 man spot though

He doesn't have a 40 man spot though does he? When a team offers him back to his old team they first have to put him through waivers which gives all the other teams the oppurtunity to have the player under the same conditions. If they clear they get outrighted off the 40 man I thought.

I googled it a while back, I thought that was how it goes.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
Time to relocate the Diamondbacks to Vancouver. :sarcasm:

you know I'm actually surprised Vancouver hasn't been in the conversation more often about getting a baseball team, the way the folks from B.C flock to Seattle for jays games. but I guess a lot of that has to do with how the grizzly's flopped in the 90's

I think over the last 10- 20 years hitters ball parks have become almost a obsolete idea more and more teams are dragging the outfield walls out, the newer parks are all pitcher friendly parks. hell seattle had to move there walls in because it was to much of a pitcher friendly park. they might have a short porch in right field but left and center are quite a bit further then rogers now.

might be something to keep a eye on for the next while

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to TSN Baseball Insider Steve Phillips, Francisco Lirano is drawing some attention as Monday's non-waiver trade deadline looms, but not enough yet for any deal to get done.

http://www.tsn.ca/nothing-imminent-amid-liriano-trade-speculation-1.814112

Toronto Blue Jays starting pitcher Francisco Lirano is drawing some attention as Monday's non-waiver trade deadline looms, but not enough yet for any deal to get done.

Sources tell TSN Baseball Insider Steve Phillips that there is some interest from teams in the left-handed starter, but at this time, nothing is imminent on the trade front for him or any other of the Blue Jays' players.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Bichette is awesome.

another 2 hits and a walk so far tonight.

unrealistic to think he could be a top 10 prospect at the end of the year?

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Bichette is awesome.

another 2 hits and a walk so far tonight.

unrealistic to think he could be a top 10 prospect at the end of the year?

Both doubles too.

Don't think they do one at the end of the year. The pre season rankings I think he will be top 10 at least should be. What he is doing as a 19 year old in A ball in outstanding. His defense from what I have read has improved.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad