Blue Jays Discussion: Steve Pearce: comeback machine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
I wouldn't mind signing Estrada to a cheap deal in the off-season after we (hopefully) deal him before the deadline.

I think he can rebound, but if he can't it wouldn't be a big deal, we probably wouldn't have to give him much money anyway.

If he rebounds, he could be a real nice trade chip next season.

Last edited:

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Any one else thinks that the Jays may target Jeff Samardzija from the Giants. Buster Olney says the Giants are "open" to talking about him and Johnny Cueto. He doesn't seem to have much trade value due to his 5.05 ERA, "although speculation, Buster Olney says a Jeff Samardzija for Jacoby Ellsbury+prospect deal would make sense" yet he also holds a 3.59 FIP and 3.14 xFIP this year. The Blue Jays did this type of deal last year with Francisco Liriano, and with over 50 million dollars free from players going to free agency the Jays would likely have the money to fit this in the budget next year. They also have will likely have space on the rotation this year "after Estrada and/or Liriano is likely dealt" and next year. Only way this wouldn't be a fit is potentially the length of the contract, as it runs for another 3 1/2 years compared to Liriano's 1 1/2, and if Samardzija has the Jays on his 8 team no trade list.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Any one else thinks that the Jays may target Jeff Samardzija from the Giants. Buster Olney says the Giants are "open" to talking about him and Johnny Cueto. He doesn't seem to have much trade value due to his 5.05 ERA, "although speculation, Buster Olney says a Jeff Samardzija for Jacoby Ellsbury+prospect deal would make sense" yet he also holds a 3.59 FIP and 3.14 xFIP this year. The Blue Jays did this type of deal last year with Francisco Liriano, and with over 50 million dollars free from players going to free agency the Jays would likely have the money to fit this in the budget next year. They also have will likely have space on the rotation this year "after Estrada and/or Liriano is likely dealt" and next year. Only way this wouldn't be a fit is potentially the length of the contract, as it runs for another 3 1/2 years compared to Liriano's 1 1/2, and if Samardzija has the Jays on his 8 team no trade list.

The contract is too long to take on.

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
If SanFran would eat some of that money he'd be a good buy low candidate for sure. The guy is a solid workhorse innings eater. Even if they don't eat some money he'd probably be a good target.

Eduardo Nunez to BoSox as i type this.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
feel assured that this FO will only ever pursue "buy low" candidates.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

If the Samardzija's of the world are the strategy to how we are going to compete in 2018, wake me up in 2021.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
as long as you define winning as actually having to be the best, it often is.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Eat most of his salary and we might be able to get a decent return

I do not see why the Jays wouldn't. Better than paying all of his salary to take a spot away from a younger guy with a future and getting no return.

Who is interesting from the Royals? They only have 3 people with a 50 ranking, and none higher than that. Seems like a weak pool, but a few pitchers in the upper minors who the Jays could use starting next year.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Jays would be hoping for a low ball player at a young age they could develop. That is the only type of prospect(s) they could possibly get for Liriano in my opinion.

Unless they wanted to trade for an injured player like the Padres did or go for an underachieving one. Add to Liriano to get Karns (highly unlikely) or maybe look at Soler. I am intrigued by him - awful in the majors but awesome in AAA. Owed less than 5M per for the next 3 seasons (for his 26-28 aged seasons)... Might be a good buy low if the Royals want move off him. If he isnt a starter than 5M is the average MLB salary - can be a 4th OF or get buried.

Only thing is his defense is pretty bad - do we want more of that?

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I would eat about half of the remaining salary, and ask for Staumont.

Send him to A+ to finish the season, and completely rehaul his delivery.

Complete project, but that's all I'm really interested in for a pending FA.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

If the Jays get a prospect who looks like he has even an outside chance of becoming a major league player in exchange for Liriano, I'll be happy.

I just want them to eat everything remaining other than the minimum to maximize the return.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008

I was thinking that too but he has lots of stuff to harness if you could do it. I would look at him as a reliever though.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I was thinking that too but he has lots of stuff to harness if you could do it. I would look at him as a reliever though.

Looking at the Royals prospect list, I kind of want them to acquire Scott Blewett and make him a closer. Just for the puns.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Plus fastball, plus curveball. Strikes guys out across levels. Velocity to spare with a repeatable delivery already. I feel like he could switch to the Sanchez-esque tall and fall delivery, and have a shot at being a starter.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Brett Phillips is really someone who interests me if the Brewers are interested in Smith or Estrada. 23 years old, LHB, good defense, came up as CF but probably better suited for the corner spots and is MLB ready - solid minor stats. only problem is he has to work on his k%.

They have Braun and Santana in the corner OF spots. Broxton and Perez are solid 4th OFers and Brinson is their CF of the future and he is MLB ready.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Plus fastball, plus curveball. Strikes guys out across levels. Velocity to spare with a repeatable delivery already. I feel like he could switch to the Sanchez-esque tall and fall delivery, and have a shot at being a starter.

If it could be pulled off, that would be an insane return for an impending FA.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
The Toronto Blue Jays are "too much of a country club," says former MLB scout Tom Valcke.

According to Valcke, the Toronto Blue Jays have some "core people they can build around" such as Marcus Stroman, Aaron Sanchez and Roberto Osuna, but ultimately, he says the team should be looking to teams like the Houston Astros, New York Yankees and Chicago White Sox who successfully made similar wholesale changes in recent years.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitch...-gibbons-toronto-trade-deadline-mlb-1.4222276

With the Blue Jays under-performing this season, a former Major League Baseball scouting supervisor predicts no one is safe as the trade deadline approaches on Monday.

"It becomes business now," Tom Valcke told CBC Kitchener-Waterloo on Wednesday, saying fan favourites like Josh Donaldson, Jose Bautista and Francisco Liriano are all on the table for a trade.

"All of 'em," said Valcke. "And that's not me giving up and angry and wanting to fight."

He said the team has some "core people they can build around" such as Marcus Stroman, Aaron Sanchez and Roberto Osuna, but ultimately he says the team should be looking to teams like the Houston Astros, New York Yankees and Chicago White Sox who successfully made similar wholesale changes in recent years.

The Blue Jays struggled early in the season and never recovered from their 2-11 start. They're now sitting 46-54 and six games out of the wildcard spot. Even with more than 50 games left in the season, said Valke, the team would need to need to beat almost impossible odds to make it to the playoffs.

"The Blue Jays are the oldest team in Major League Baseball," said Valcke of the median player age. He suggests it's time to turn to the minor leagues and fill out the team with younger talent."

"Building new talent, trading off established veterans — it's a risk," said Valke. And trusting that your scouts and your development people are going to put a winning team on the field again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad