Value of: Starting Goaltender to EDM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I disagree, but we'll see. I think they will bring up on a permanent basis players like Lavoie and Holloway, try and improve on the right side by moving Ceci, and replace Campbell in goal.
I would place my bets on that happening during the season if they feel they need to but not this offseason. As you said, we will see. I personally would if I could find a better option but I don't think the Oilers will.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I disagree, but we'll see. I think they will bring up on a permanent basis players like Lavoie and Holloway, try and improve on the right side by moving Ceci, and replace Campbell in goal.
I think there are 2 ways to look at it:

1) Edmonton should at least TRY to upgrade their goaltending. But this is a heavily constrained attempt. They don't have Cap space or assets to really make a huge push. Signing a new face like Jarry or Korpisalo is a "try". Those guys may or may not pan out any better than Skinner/Campbell have. OR they might. But if you get somebody like that cheap enough on short term, it's worth at least putting that new variable on the board.

2) Edmonton has a pretty storied track record of not quite going as far as they should or recognizing goaltending issues lately. So those posters who are saying they are just going to run Skinner/Campbell back out there are probably correct. Alas for the Oilers.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Somehow the Oilers have to improve their goaltending. Moving Campbell's contract might be harder than anything else Holland or a new GM might have to face. However that is a first requirement for the Oilers to get another goalie.

How much to get a goaltender like Hellbuyck out of Winnipeg?
Swayman out of Boston?
Gustavsson out of Minnesota?

Tough asks and even if goaltenders don't get as much in return as they should in the modern NHL, these guys would be costly.
Campbell could go to... Arizona? They took Zack Kassian who's AAV was less ($3.2 Million) and had a fewer years left (2) on his contract for the 29th OA, a 2nd round pick in 2023 and a 3rd in 2025. The Oilers received the last 1st round pick in that draft, 32 OA.

So perhaps a similar multi pick trade but with nothing coming back to the Oilers. Maybe that gets it done. Maybe.
You can talk Ullmark but not Swayman...........

Reactions: dugg133

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I'm really surprised that Saros was not mentioned in the OP. I certainly don't want him to be traded but everything is available for the right price.
I think Oiler fans know they don't have the assets to acquire him, unless the Preds are cool with more futures that are even further down the road and a prospect like Bourgault, or Petrov.

Then the Oilers would need to pay a bunch to get rid of Campbell, unless they send Skinner back and run a Saros - Campbell pairing

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I'll be honest, I don't know much about Montembeault.

He's not the best goaltender out there but he's still solid.
He wasn't the reason at all why we finished 27th, let's put it that way. He was .901 in a bottom feeder team.
Edmonton, being much better than Montréal right now, could benefit from him I think. I'd say he's about in the same tier as Skinner IMO, in terms of talent

Reactions: TFHockey

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'm not really a fan of Edmonton's prospect pool when it comes to talking Saros.
As you shouldn't be, our prospect pool kinda sucks.

The top pieces are Broberg and Holloway and they're having a tough time getting established because they keep getting injured.

Saros is a pipe dream, IMO. I think the move is run it back with Skinner and Campbell. Skinner is a rookie and that was his first crack at the playoffs, he'll get better - and frankly its not like Campbell can be any worse.

I generally hate Edmonton's draft strategy, for what it's worth. If I were running a team I'd be consistently swinging for the fences and if I hit a single here and there, fine. They keep drafting these guys that if everything pans out they'll be good third liners (Schaefer) or 2nd pairing defencemen.

Last edited:

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Again, Edmonton's prospect pool doesn't have enough interesting pieces for us to deal Askarov or Saros. We drafted him pretty high up in the draft and we are very high on him. He's a special player.
Fair enough, I agree with your assessment
I’d kill for Askarov on the Habs

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Oilers would have to retain something on Campbell, either that or they take a bad contract back.
Is it legal to trade Campbell to ex Chicago with a 2nd r. pick, who trades Campbell to say like Winnipeg 20% retained (1 million) with a 4th r. pick for a 3rd rounder, who trades to Oilers now 25% retaind (1 million) and gets a 3rd and a 4th rounder from Oilers?

redandyellowcametobe

Jan 4, 2019
Same summer oilers thread. Last year it was all smiths fault. Smith (and Keith) literally walk away from their cap hit and gift the Oilers money to “fix their goalie situation“. They sign Soup and tell fans of other teams they are going to walk out out of the west at the start of the playoffs.

They get crushed 5v5 on both ends of the ice and now it’s the goalie issue again? At the end of the day, the oilers lost to a career backup last year and a fourth string goalie this year. Both those teams seemed to do okay. Whats the theme? It’s almost like those teams rolled all four lines, could score 5v5 and played team defense as a whole. When do oilers fans realize it’s not just the goalie?

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Agreed. I made this pitch in the Value of Hellebuyck thread…

If the Jets rebuild, they can certainly take on Campbell’s contract and use him as our rebuilding starter with draft pick compensation.

What does each side think about the following (assumes Hellebuyck extends):

Holloway, Bourgault, 2023 2nd, 2024 1st?

Keep Holloway (or Bourgault) for nearer term ELC help, trade a later 1st, say in 2025

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Matt Murray would look great in a navy and orange jersey. I'm not sure about actually playing in it, but wearing it should be a breeze.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad