Value of: Starting Goaltender to EDM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Stop. Oilers goaltending will be fine, they are in no rush to change it. If someone actually wanted Campbell then they would deal him, bit they won't be adding major assets to move him. They're going to give Campbell a shot at rebounding next year and have Campbell/Skinner split

You are dead wrong on both counts. The Oilers are absolutely in win now mode and can't wait for Campbell to just figure things out. They'll make changes in the offseason, and I hope goaltending is one of them.

Shesterkin + Laf
for
Campbell + Holloway + 1st + 2nd

I'd do that in a heartbeat. I don't think the NYRs would though.

The Oilers should just sign Jarry if they clear out Campbell’s contract, but I genuinely do not see how they’ll be able to get out of Campbell’s contract. It’s a long term cap dump for a highly questionable goalie, I can’t think of any way that the cost to do that wouldn’t be astronomical.

That is a possibility. Signing a UFA while buying out Campbell might be the only way forward.

Kassian was owed $5.8M over 2 years and cost a 2nd, a 3rd, and a swap of 3 spots in the late 1st round.

Cambell is owed $19.5M (or $18.5M after the bonus) - that's triple the cash owed to Kassian.

Given that AZ is going lean to build a stadium, I don't think the Coyotes are a possible landing spot for Campbell. It would just be too expensive and it would have to get pretty creative in contracts and compensation.

I think the Oilers are probably stuck with Campbell and Skinner and are going to have to clear a bunch of cap elsewhere.

I'd offer the Oilers '23 3rd back for Ceci.

No, the Oilers aren't going stand pat in goal. Highly unlikely.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

smytty

Aug 1, 2015
That is a possibility. Signing a UFA while buying out Campbell might be the only way forward
No, there's no way. They would save $3.4 million next year, what UFA goalie would be an improvement at that price? That also gives them a 1.2-2.6 million of dead cap space for the next 8 seasons for a combined total of $13 million. The goalies are set for next season, there's no indication otherwise.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Habs offer Montembeault

For a 2nd +4th

Montembeault is an good 1b goalie with a cheapass contract
You make him play 41 Games and give 41 Games to Skinner

You'd have to try to trade Campbell to someone else since we can't take him while still having Allen

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
What about a Campbell and Jake Allen swap with Montreal? Jake can still play but had a down year. He has 2 years left at 3.85M

Obviously, taking Campbell with 4 years at 5M would need some sweetening. What would be on the table from the Oilers? Prospects would likely be preferred.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Edmonton still needs to improve their blue line more than anything else but that's a tall order given their circumstances. Seems awfully difficult to move the cap needed to make significant change and if they focus too much of their efforts on goaltending, even who they get is going to fall victim to the awful defensive zone play by pretty much everyone except for maybe Ekholm and Kulak.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Habs offer Montembeault

For a 2nd +4th

You'd have to try to trade Campbell to someone else since we can't take him while still having Allen

This is actually a decent offer. I think Montembeault is a decent goalie.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
What about a Campbell and Jake Allen swap with Montreal? Jake can still play but had a down year. He has 2 years left at 3.85M

Obviously, taking Campbell with 4 years at 5M would need some sweetening. What would be on the table from the Oilers? Prospects would likely be preferred.
Its a crazy amount of sweeteners for the Habs to take on Campbell (in a Jake Allen swap).

Bourgault + 1st + 2nd. Its just not there for Edmonton. Habs are not the right team for this.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Could be a deal to be made between Boston and Edmonton around Ullmark.

The Bruins could also offer Grzelcyk (who's transition game would be spectacular in that system) or Forbort (for PK purposes).

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
This is not a position Edmonton should address given their history.

They can trade for Vasy and he will turn into Edmonton Devon Dubnyk.

They need to address their defense and playing system and suddenly Campbell will become a serviceable goalie

Reactions: malcb33

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Its a crazy amount of sweeteners for the Habs to take on Campbell (in a Jake Allen swap).

Bourgault + 1st + 2nd. Its just not there for Edmonton. Habs are not the right team for this.
I'm not so sure I agree with you here. There is only a 1.15M difference in salary between Allen and Campbell, but Campbell has another 2 years on his deal, which needs some sweetening.

I think Campbell will turn it around, but IMO it will take time and I don't believe Edmonton can be patient with him as they're in win-now mode. They either need him to perform or use his salary to improve in other areas.

Montreal on the other hand can give him time in an environment with lower expectations, as they're not going to be competing for the playoffs in the next couple of years. By then Campbell should have settled in or will be an easy buyout/ dump.

I could certainly see Edmonton going in another direction and focusing on restructuring their D (personal and system) and hope Campbell comes around.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
local boy Carter Hart. one more year at $3.9m then an RFA. young, very good at being a goalie, stats deflated by the putrid team he plays for. gives vague serial killer vibes which is either an upside or downside.

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
local boy Carter Hart. one more year at $3.9m then an RFA. young, very good at being a goalie, stats deflated by the putrid team he plays for. gives vague serial killer vibes which is either an upside or downside.
If Briere is going to trade Hart I hope it's to Edmonton because I'd like to see Hart have a chance to play in the playoffs for a contender.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
The Oilers will have the same goaltending to start next season fortunately or unfortunately although defense is what lost them their playoff series. The Oilers played levels of defense during stretches of games in the playoffs that should not exist in the NHL.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Campbell regained form down the stretch run and in relief of Skinner. I’d give him another year to battle back and try to win the crease from Skinner. I think one bad year is too soon to give up on him considering what it will cost to move him.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Campbell regained form down the stretch run and in relief of Skinner. I’d give him another year to battle back and try to win the crease from Skinner. I think one bad year is too soon to give up on him considering what it will cost to move him.
That and worst case is you can look for an option at the deadline if you feel you need to.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Habs offer Montembeault

For a 2nd +4th

I'll be honest, I don't know much about Montembeault.

Could be a deal to be made between Boston and Edmonton around Ullmark.

The Bruins could also offer Grzelcyk (who's transition game would be spectacular in that system) or Forbort (for PK purposes).

Both teams are tight against the cap, so I am not sure how both Ullmark and Grzelcyk could fit in Edmonton. The last thing the Oilers need are more LHD. They could really use a Larsson-type on the right side. Odds are they'll get another defense-suspect nice passing defenseman like Severson.

There is very little chance the Oilers will wait another year for guys to find their game. This team is in win now mode and are only looking for players who can help them accomplish that. So don't count on them targeting prospects of any kind and only mid round picks to replenish those they've dealt way (at most).

A Campbell buyout, as painful as that would be, is a very real possibility. They won't stand pat in goal, and I wonder if Holland will make a big move to push the team over the hump. A guy like EK? Maybe.

Regardless this thread is about upgrades in goal. Not small upgrades but guys who could actually steal a series.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I'll be honest, I don't know much about Montembeault.

Both teams are tight against the cap, so I am not sure how both Ullmark and Grzelcyk could fit in Edmonton. The last thing the Oilers need are more LHD. They could really use a Larsson-type on the right side. Odds are they'll get another defense-suspect nice passing defenseman like Severson.

There is very little chance the Oilers will wait another year for guys to find their game. This team is in win now mode and are only looking for players who can help them accomplish that. So don't count on them targeting prospects of any kind and only mid round picks to replenish those they've dealt way (at most).

A Campbell buyout, as painful as that would be, is a very real possibility. They won't stand pat in goal, and I wonder if Holland will make a big move to push the team over the hump. A guy like EK? Maybe.

Regardless this thread is about upgrades in goal. Not small upgrades but guys who could actually steal a series.
I think you will disappointed if you think the Oilers will have a new goalie to start next season. I think it will be Skinner and Campbell to start the season. I expect their focus will be on other areas of the team this offseason.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I think you will disappointed if you think the Oilers will have a new goalie to start next season. I think it will be Skinner and Campbell to start the season. I expect their focus will be on other areas of the team this offseason.

I disagree, but we'll see. I think they will bring up on a permanent basis players like Lavoie and Holloway, try and improve on the right side by moving Ceci, and replace Campbell in goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad