Online Series: Star Wars: The Acolyte on Disney+

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Not that Star Wars is known for scientific accuracy but the whole fire in space thing bugged me!!

I don't care about gender roles in star wars - I only care when said roles are created solely as a political/demographical statement.

Same reason why I hated Ewoks as their introduction was only to sell toys and not tell a story (when star wars really started going downhill).

There were always strong women in Star Wars and the expanded universe. Now, its just tangibly different, especially with the introduction of pronouns and such.

Sorry I will not post regarding Star Wars anymore. I consider it a chapter of my life closed.
yada yada blah blah complain

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Not that Star Wars is known for scientific accuracy but the whole fire in space thing bugged me!!

yada yada blah blah complain
I mean it just looked goofy. I've seen the fire brought up a bunch of times to assert that Disney isn't taking their IP seriously because the physics are impossible but A New Hope (and countless Sci fi films and shows that followed) showed artificial gravity which, save for a few plausible conditions is a pure fantasy of physics

1000061035.jpg

To say nothing of the concept of hyperspace not obliterating ships with loose debris on the ship's path. And artificial gravity exists solely to have dramatic moments on spaceships.

Like it's science fiction, the fire thing feels like a nitpick for the sake of it. Could've done with Osha having some different repair problem to fix but the fire didn't bother me.

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
In the new Disney Star Wars universe, a Jedi can get run through with a lightsaber and survive. Also, a Jedi can get killed by a small blade to the chest.

The more character deaths the better.

Jedi Master Indara died, we can sell some Master Indara toys, and then we can create more Jedi masters later and do the same thing. CHAAAAA-CHING$$$$$!!!! (Similarly to how they introduced the Ewoks like @Richard said).

Reactions: Richard

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
In the new Disney Star Wars universe, a Jedi can get run through with a lightsaber and survive. Also, a Jedi can get killed by a small blade to the chest.
It's almost like getting stabbed in different parts of the body might have different results.

Although I would think a Jedi Master would be powerful enough to stop two blades being thrown at once, so from that aspect I guess maybe it wasn't the best execution. The general theme of a Jedi choosing to save the innocent at the cost of their own life worked for me though so it's fine. I've also gotten to the point where I'm just less nitpicky about these things though. I'll leave that up to all the engagement farmers on Twitter and YouTube.

Reactions: JBeast

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
It's almost like getting stabbed in different parts of the body might have different results.

Although I would think a Jedi Master would be powerful enough to stop two blades being thrown at once, so from that aspect I guess maybe it wasn't the best execution. The general theme of a Jedi choosing to save the innocent at the cost of their own life worked for me though so it's fine. I've also gotten to the point where I'm just less nitpicky about these things though. I'll leave that up to all the engagement farmers on Twitter and YouTube.
I found the entire scene to be stupid. We have ninjas in Star Wars now. What a lack of creativity

• Love
Reactions: Bowski

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
It's somehwere between meh and okay so far. Like some of the look and feel (planet where the second death takes place was cool), like the Qui-Gon inspired Jedi master. Having a bit of a hard time giving a shit though.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I don't care what people think of my opinion. Its not rooted in hatred. There has to be a level of believability to interest me and seeing so many women leading people into battle is not what any of us see in real life. Men are the meat heads. I loved Blue Eyed Samurai though.
I appreciate the honesty.

Everyone is going to come at you with the cheap reductionist arguments about realism in a "space wizard" show.

IMO, female warrior/hero characters in fantasy can be really cool, but they're much more compelling when they're rare because it makes them unique.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

Everyone is going to come at you with the cheap reductionist arguments about realism in a "space wizard" show.

IMO, female warrior/hero characters in fantasy can be really cool, but they're much more compelling when they're rare because it makes them unique.
Midichlorines are carried on the Y chromosome.

• Haha
Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
wait, this is your biggest problem with it? How about non-existent Force? Or hyper-drive engines? or aliens?

You seriously need to read about fictional movies and why they are not documentaries. You can start from something like this: Why do movies depict things so differently from reality?

And then google the real cases of real people dying from paper cuts, while other very real people surviving the shot in the head or multiple stubs with a blade in the chest.

Last edited:

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
pros:
- The biggest selling point to me is the star wars finally moved on from the original trilogy. I hope there will be no Yoda or Huyang at all. But if there are, then it is a small cameo and no influence on the plot.
- Fighting choreography is awesome.

cons:
- The writers could have kept the mystery of the killer's identity much longer.
- Hint to the split personality was good, and I wish they would go this way instead of evil twin.

Reactions: JBeast

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
How does this thing possibly have an 8 episode run?

If you took out all the pointless crap out of the 1st episode it would have been lucky to run for 20 minutes

If the writers are struggling that much for content already this thing is going to be a hard watch

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
They killed off the best character so far in the first episode.

Not that it was a surprise, but disappointing.

My overall ranking for the first two episodes is "meh".

We'll see if it gets better, but I find it a bit heavy-handed and plodding.

Reactions: Hivemind

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

Michone in The Walking Dead is a great character too who is strong. Had the Show been focused around her I may not have stuck with for as long as I did. The reboot with her and Rick is decent. Didn't care for the new Mad Max. Didn't care about the new Ghostbusters. That had a lot to do with with taking something that should have been left alone and looking to squeeze every drop of coin out of it.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Most of what I have seen about this show has had Carrie Anne Moss in a prominent role. Good thing 2 minutes in shes dead. Sick.

Reactions: Hivemind

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
MY Last quote here, I swear:

Personal opinion incoming on why I've cut Star Wars out of my life after 30 years .....

I have been a registered Democrat all of my life, I believe I am a liberal at heart, and I've always been working class, anti-corporation, Kennedy Democrat. I certainly do not lack compassion for people who have genetic mutations that affect their sex: chromosomes, genitalia, etc. I do not lack compassion for the very small minority of people who suffer from gender dysmorphia for, much like all mental illness, it is a horrible burden on them and their families. That being said, I have NO MORE sympathy for the nonsense that is going on with WOKENESS on this, and other issues and the people that are not truly suffering from such conditions, as stated above, but are using this issue as an excuse for POLITICAL POWER. After all, that is all these issues concern, power of one group over another and by trying to force me to call you, a biological female or male the opposite gender you are resetting all balance of power between our interaction and relationship. NO!

I cannot abide that Star Wars has fallen in line with woke ideology, period. I simply want to be entertained and not preached to. Worse still, it has done so at the expense of storytelling. For example, a lot of us don't agree with the pronoun thing but we've kept our mouths shut about it for years because it hasn't affected us in any substantial manner, and we've simply wanted to be polite. However, now, this **** is everywhere. I'm now being told that I am compelled to call a man in a dress a she whether I believe it to be so or not. I have recently decided I will not do so; no, indeed, I will never do so. I am DONE with this crap and I, and it is increasing becoming clear as I talk about this issue with my family and my friends and acquaintances in the community that the majority of us are like minded. We have decided that we will fight this everywhere and anywhere until this stupidity dies a horrible death. I know of the 8 families who had Disney plus as of December, only 2 still have it (both woke warriors).

The fact that I now have to include Star Wars in this **** due to Kathleen Kennedy and her like is absolutely maddening - I want to be entertained and to forget about the issues of the world but enough is enough and I won't spend my money on any product that espouses this sort of nonsense. Furthermore, and as important, Kathleen Kennedy is doing her very best to alienate the majority of her fanbase - the force is female bull****, the horrible, forced characters, the outright hostility towards male characters, statements supporting Gaza, and the forced political alignment. It's asinine and not a very good way to make money when the majority of your fanbase are geeky men. The hostility towards the fanbase itself is.... WOW. Do they actually WANT to be successful or just scream SEE TOXIC MEN?

Listen, this isn't about female leads, as I've love strong female characters. I love that Rey was female in the new trilogy (even though that trilogy was not good) as my daughter loved her as a child. I loved Princess Leia as a child. I am certainly NOT against inclusion: black, brown, yellow, white, the galaxy should have all people. What I am against is the militant wokeness and LucasFilm's utter disregard, no utter disdain of the fanbase. We are the deplorables.

Most of you will disagree with me due to your political beliefs and/or because you've drunk the Koolaid of Lucasfilm. That is fine we are allowed to disagree. I have put my disagreement with my wallet much like I did with Bud Lite. Money is the only thing that matters here, and Lucasfilm (and Disney) will get no more of mine.

It has been a tremendous privilege to interact and read these forums regarding Star Wars over the many years. Lots of good people here.

I wish you the best and if you enjoy Star Wars now I am happy for you.
Having a female lead in a show triggered this unhinged rant. f***ing hilarious.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
pros:
- The biggest selling point to me is the star wars finally moved on from the original trilogy. I hope there will be no Yoda or Huyang at all. But if there are, then it is a small cameo and no influence on the plot.

- Hint to the split personality was good, and I wish they would go this way instead of evil twin.

I fully expect to see a 100 year younger Yoda make at least a cameo.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
MY Last quote here, I swear:

Personal opinion incoming on why I've cut Star Wars out of my life after 30 years .....

I have been a registered Democrat all of my life, I believe I am a liberal at heart, and I've always been working class, anti-corporation, Kennedy Democrat. I certainly do not lack compassion for people who have genetic mutations that affect their sex: chromosomes, genitalia, etc. I do not lack compassion for the very small minority of people who suffer from gender dysmorphia for, much like all mental illness, it is a horrible burden on them and their families. That being said, I have NO MORE sympathy for the nonsense that is going on with WOKENESS on this, and other issues and the people that are not truly suffering from such conditions, as stated above, but are using this issue as an excuse for POLITICAL POWER. After all, that is all these issues concern, power of one group over another and by trying to force me to call you, a biological female or male the opposite gender you are resetting all balance of power between our interaction and relationship. NO!

I cannot abide that Star Wars has fallen in line with woke ideology, period. I simply want to be entertained and not preached to. Worse still, it has done so at the expense of storytelling. For example, a lot of us don't agree with the pronoun thing but we've kept our mouths shut about it for years because it hasn't affected us in any substantial manner, and we've simply wanted to be polite. However, now, this **** is everywhere. I'm now being told that I am compelled to call a man in a dress a she whether I believe it to be so or not. I have recently decided I will not do so; no, indeed, I will never do so. I am DONE with this crap and I, and it is increasing becoming clear as I talk about this issue with my family and my friends and acquaintances in the community that the majority of us are like minded. We have decided that we will fight this everywhere and anywhere until this stupidity dies a horrible death. I know of the 8 families who had Disney plus as of December, only 2 still have it (both woke warriors).

The fact that I now have to include Star Wars in this **** due to Kathleen Kennedy and her like is absolutely maddening - I want to be entertained and to forget about the issues of the world but enough is enough and I won't spend my money on any product that espouses this sort of nonsense. Furthermore, and as important, Kathleen Kennedy is doing her very best to alienate the majority of her fanbase - the force is female bull****, the horrible, forced characters, the outright hostility towards male characters, statements supporting Gaza, and the forced political alignment. It's asinine and not a very good way to make money when the majority of your fanbase are geeky men. The hostility towards the fanbase itself is.... WOW. Do they actually WANT to be successful or just scream SEE TOXIC MEN?

Listen, this isn't about female leads, as I've love strong female characters. I love that Rey was female in the new trilogy (even though that trilogy was not good) as my daughter loved her as a child. I loved Princess Leia as a child. I am certainly NOT against inclusion: black, brown, yellow, white, the galaxy should have all people. What I am against is the militant wokeness and LucasFilm's utter disregard, no utter disdain of the fanbase. We are the deplorables.

Most of you will disagree with me due to your political beliefs and/or because you've drunk the Koolaid of Lucasfilm. That is fine we are allowed to disagree. I have put my disagreement with my wallet much like I did with Bud Lite. Money is the only thing that matters here, and Lucasfilm (and Disney) will get no more of mine.

It has been a tremendous privilege to interact and read these forums regarding Star Wars over the many years. Lots of good people here.

I wish you the best and if you enjoy Star Wars now I am happy for you.
I look forward to your ranting about the next Star Wars series.:laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Holden Caulfield

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
The biggest selling point to me is the star wars finally moved on from the original trilogy.
Finally, that OT was such crap!
Giggling about C-3PO being gay and R2-D2 a lesbian, what in the blue hell is this crap anymore?

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
I mean it just looked goofy. I've seen the fire brought up a bunch of times to assert that Disney isn't taking their IP seriously because the physics are impossible but A New Hope (and countless Sci fi films and shows that followed) showed artificial gravity which, save for a few plausible conditions is a pure fantasy of physics

View attachment 880083

To say nothing of the concept of hyperspace not obliterating ships with loose debris on the ship's path. And artificial gravity exists solely to have dramatic moments on spaceships.

Like it's science fiction, the fire thing feels like a nitpick for the sake of it. Could've done with Osha having some different repair problem to fix but the fire didn't bother me.

While you are correct, that sort of thing is often explained with in-universe technology or the like. Hence where the fiction comes in.

A fire in space isn't really technology or explained due to some interesting phenomenon, it's just....a poor choice in writing?

Like sure it doesn't ultimately mean much, but it stands out because of how weird it is for no reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad