Online Series: Star Wars: The Acolyte on Disney+

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I'm surprised how much hate this show is getting. I mean some hate is to be expected, but not to this degree.

There were things I didn't like about the first two episodes, but I thought they were okay. Better than BOBF, Obi-Wan, Ashoka, and Mando S3 so far IMO.

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
I'm surprised how much hate this show is getting. I mean some hate is to be expected, but not to this degree.

There were things I didn't like about the first two episodes, but I thought they were okay. Better than BOBF, Obi-Wan, Ashoka, and Mando S3 so far IMO.
They attacked the majority of the original SW fanbase as bad/ignorant/gender-dominating people, who were mostly female-ignored loser nerds in school.
Now there is a platform to spread DEI messages through "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."

If that's the direction this IP is heading into, se la vie:thumbu: The gay Willow show was also some awesome spectacle that twisted magic fantasy into whatever TF that was.

Reactions: Richard

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Finally, that OT was such crap!
Giggling about C-3PO being gay and R2-D2 a lesbian, what in the blue hell is this crap anymore?
Oh no, another bigot, fascist, chauvinist, racist ... person. How I gonna live without your super important opinion?!

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

There's a lot of "only what you take with you" going on with it I think. Some people made up their minds it was going to be shit because of who was running it so they went in looking for it to be shit. With that kind of mindset I think something like the fire in space stuff becomes a bigger deal whereas a more open minded person might just look at it as being a minor silly thing in a franchise with space wizards and energy swords.

It all just seems like such a waste of time and energy to be constantly shitting on a franchise people supposedly love. Even if you're doing it because it drives engagement, it just seems like such a miserable existence. Like, I didn't like TROS. At all. But instead of constantly bitching about it and ruining other people's times, I just chose not to watch it again. Why willingly be miserable about something that's supposed to be a source of entertainment? It's just a mentality I've never really understood I guess.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Anyway, they've once again dipped into the Killmonger/Riot Games haircut.
killmonger-1503337860713.jpg

1fyr8fevdhcc1.jpeg

GJC86bPXEAIMwE1

You don't think C3-P0 come off as gay?

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
With that kind of mindset I think something like the fire in space stuff becomes a bigger deal whereas a more open minded person might just look at it as being a minor silly thing in a franchise with space wizards and energy swords.
My favorite part of that gripe - the OT had fire in space. Not just explosions, but open flame.

ssd_rotate.gif

As did the Prequels
because-there-has-never-ever-been-fire-in-space-before-this-v0-795qq9nwlz4d1.jpg

And even the cartoons
because-there-has-never-ever-been-fire-in-space-before-this-v0-oz4t9rmwlz4d1.jpg

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I mean it just looked goofy. I've seen the fire brought up a bunch of times to assert that Disney isn't taking their IP seriously because the physics are impossible but A New Hope (and countless Sci fi films and shows that followed) showed artificial gravity which, save for a few plausible conditions is a pure fantasy of physics

View attachment 880083

To say nothing of the concept of hyperspace not obliterating ships with loose debris on the ship's path. And artificial gravity exists solely to have dramatic moments on spaceships.

Like it's science fiction, the fire thing feels like a nitpick for the sake of it. Could've done with Osha having some different repair problem to fix but the fire didn't bother me.
The only scifi show that has ever given a damn about Gravity and it's effects on ships, travel, people, and material, is the Expanse. No other show really comes close.

If you're worried about how faithful the new SW show is going to be to science, you might have missed SW's track record in adhering to science. Gravity, and a lot of other science, was handwaved away long, long ago.

Reactions: tacogeoff

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The only scifi show that has ever given a damn about Gravity and it's effects on ships, travel, people, and material, is the Expanse. No other show really comes close.

If you're worried about how faithful the new SW show is going to be to science, you might have missed SW's track record in adhering to science. Gravity, and a lot of other science, was handwaved away long, long ago.
That's my point.

Even the Expanse had fantastical workarounds with gravity boots (maybe there was a scientifically plausible explanation for it in the books but certainly not in the show) but otherwise I agree, they kept things more grounded with the science.

Like I said it before I'm not trying to white knight a writer's choice to do something goofy like a camp fire style flame in open space but the takes I've seen around it seem like nitpicking for the sake of having something to gripe about.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
That's my point.

Even the Expanse had fantastical workarounds with gravity boots (maybe there was a scientifically plausible explanation for it in the books but certainly not in the show) but otherwise I agree, they kept things more grounded with the science.

Like I said it before I'm not trying to white knight a writer's choice to do something goofy like a camp fire style flame in open space but the takes I've seen around it seem like nitpicking for the sake of having something to gripe about.
The boots are the least magical thing in the series. Now the the Epstein drive, it's is one gigantic wizarding wand.

FYI, Characters are on the float a lot in the books when the Epstein ain't on. No $$$$ to depict zero-g scenes when it's just words on paper.

Reactions: HanSolo

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I think it wouldve been better received if they released one more episodes with the two. Bridgerton S3 released three episodes of romance. This one felt so short, like at least tease the Sith Lord that is teaching her. She's an acolyte, show the teacher so we can build a relationship, a connection to the characters.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
That's my point.

I mean it is a very minor gripe. Just a weird choice for the setting, since we're chatting about it.

Not exactly a new gripe in the Star Wars universe. Perhaps the physics in a galaxy far, far away are different....

I don't think anybody is judging the entire show on it (or at least I hope not). Like you said, it just looks goofy.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Huh...Master Torbin was played by the actor who was Tommen Baratheon in GOT. Didn't even recognize him with the Episode 2 Obi-Wan beard and the facial scar lol

Reactions: Bakayoko Ono

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Watched the 1st 2 episodes.
  • Love Jedi Master Sol.
  • Hate basically everything else.
Oh wow another random force-sensitive mechanic lady to be plucked up by the antagonists. Btw why the hell would they START the series killing arguably the most famous actor in the show? Like not even at the end of the episode...the very first thing!

They completely botched the start of the series. It should've been a whole episode of learning about Sol, the Jedi Order's status, Master Undarra so we could grow an attachment...then BAM, assassin takes her out at the end of the episode. Crushing stuff.

Instead we have this goofy twin plot where somehow they all saw the one twin die, but she didn't. It's like a murder mystery, but I am not invested in the people being murdered in really any way...the murderer also isn't interesting at all!

There's more episodes of course, but Jedi Master Sol and the illegal drugs/arms dealer are the only things I've liked so far.

Swing and a misssssss

• Haha
Reactions: hotcabbagesoup

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Huh...Master Torbin was played by the actor who was Tommen Baratheon in GOT. Didn't even recognize him with the Episode 2 Obi-Wan beard and the facial scar lol
Fake beards are almost always bad looking, but that fake beard was comically bad. Looked like something from an SNL costume.

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
This show is the f***ing drizzling f***ing shits, massive potholes, and contradictions, the dialog makes no f***ing sense, the characters talk to other characters like they've never encounter another person before, the actress who plays the 2 twins plays them with the same facial expressions, same line read and same deer in the headlights look, oh and the good twin was a former padawaan turned atro mechanic or whatever the f*** and is deathly afraid of fire like she's the goddamn Martian Manhunter, oh and when she has the change to apprehend the evil twin equipped with a stun gun mind you she shoots a f***ing wall, because as we all know from a New Hope, when the Stormtroopers shot Leia with blasters set to "stun" she was DOA. Handland is a f***ing hack of a writer.

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I thought it was a solid start. I've said for a long time that I think they should take some existing story structures and ideas and just layer a Star Wars story over it — just as elements of stuff like The Hidden Fortress, The Seven Samurai, Wages of Fear, Lone Wolf & Cub have been inspiration in some past stories.

Through two episodes we have a pretty overt Kill Bill structure here, which is an interesting choice. Personally works for me. I like the inverted story telling. While the trade off is we have no relationship to who has been killed it does heighten the question of WHY these things are happening. If they're good writers, hopefully the eventual answers will enrich the whole thing. Remains to be seen, but I think it's an interesting start that has me wanting to watch more. Jedis playing space cops ... I like that too.

Fights were entertaining.

I think the Lee Jung Jae and Manny Jacinto performances are great thus far. Everyone else is fine. Not amazing, not objectionable.

I certainly feel better about the start of this than I did about the starts of both Obi-Wan Kenobi (which started at meh and only got worse) and Ashoka (which started ok and just seemed to hover there).

If this comes out as an interesting, entertaining B, which is where I'd put it now, I think that's a win. Anything better is gravy.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The Acolyte had about 3M less viewers than Ahsoka.

I think a lot of the hate is an accumulation. All the frustrations with Disney Star Wars boiling over and being taken out on one show.

The first two episodes were completely mediocre (I give it a C grade). But there's a skepticism from the fanbase about where it's going IMO.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm not a fan of Lee Jung Jae. It's nothing personal - I just think it's harder to act effectively in a second language.

I like the idea of him, but his tone is always sort of bland because his English isn't very good.

It's the same reason why we use Brits so often in English-language shows. There's a subtlety to the language delivery that is missing with Lee.

In Rogue One, we had Donny Yen and Jiang Wen but they were supporting characters so it wasn't as impactful.

Reactions: Osprey

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I disagree. More mediocre content just further dilutes the IP.
A B is a good, solid grade. That's better than mediocre. Given the amount of mediocrity or worse lately, I'm happy with a B.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love if they did nothing but A's, but that's unrealistic especially given everything we know about the overall creative approach at this time.

And honestly, it's not even the reality of Star Wars' movie and TV existence which definitely has more productions that I'd grade worse than A than I would give a grade of A.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad