Movies: Star Wars: Episode VIII THE LAST JEDI (NO SPOILERS - Use the other thread for spoilers)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Disney doesn't have the stones to do a legitimate Rey turn to the darkside. The fact they're teasing it should be enough proof they're not going to do it. An actual twist like that would be kept secret.

A lot of Empire Strikes Back imagery again. For some reason, I'm not as disappointed in this as I have been before.

Rey as Palpatine's granddaughter/someone else as his granddaughter just doesn't make any sense. It would be like "hey, he's a character relation for no reason, you don't even get to know who the middle link between them is!". Not even Disney would do something like that. Rey will either have no relation, or she'll be another Anakin descendent, whether that's as a female clone, lost daughter of Luke, or something else. I can't see it being anything else. Luke comparing her power to Kylo makes me think it's an Anakin descendent. Who are the only characters to be described as having that kind of power? Anakin, Kylo, probably Luke, now Rey?

Unless they do something really weird and she's Qui-Gon Jinn or Obi-Wan's descendent :laugh:

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
That's a whole lotta damage!

Attachments

• if_you_are_missing_s.jpg
    if_you_are_missing_s.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: Hivemind

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Disney doesn't have the stones to do a legitimate Rey turn to the darkside. The fact they're teasing it should be enough proof they're not going to do it. An actual twist like that would be kept secret.

Probably correct. Maybe Rian will actually do some interesting stuff in his edition, but when all is said and done he cannot end the film on too ambitious a note, otherwise JJ might not be able to remake ROTJ.

Last edited:

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Wow, I usually avoid fan theories because they are really lame...but this, this makes some real sense in the context of the story

When Luke says in the trailer the first time I saw power like this I wasn't afraid but now I am. The only thing I could think of was when he went up against the Emperor. He told Vader he wasn't afraid blah blah blah. So I could see this being close to accurate.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
What do people like more? Chewie's pengu, or the ice doggos?

The porgs are cuter, but I think the dogs look cooler.

After having watched the trailer a dozen times, I'm not really a fan of the gorilla walkers. Kylo's new ship looks great though. It looks like Vader's TIE with a little bit of Maul's Infiltrator thrown in.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
When Luke says in the trailer the first time I saw power like this I wasn't afraid but now I am. The only thing I could think of was when he went up against the Emperor. He told Vader he wasn't afraid blah blah blah. So I could see this being close to accurate.

All the Emperor did was shoot Luke with force lightning. Not exactly raw power, well perhaps in the literal sense but I dont think thats what Luke meant

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Just watching the trailer a second time, I think he's talking about Yoda. Yoda lifting the X-Wing out of the bog is probably the strongest display of raw power with the force Luke has seen, but obviously since Luke was his disciple at the time he wasn't scared. But now with an elder and world-weary Luke who's more or less given up on the Jedi order, that thought of any one person having that kind of power could scare him.

I was thinking maybe he could have been talking about Kylo Ren as well, while he was also training under Luke, but Kylo never really showed anything to indicate that kind of power in the first movie.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Just watching the trailer a second time, I think he's talking about Yoda. Yoda lifting the X-Wing out of the bog is probably the strongest display of raw power with the force Luke has seen, but obviously since Luke was his disciple at the time he wasn't scared. But now with an elder and world-weary Luke who's more or less given up on the Jedi order, that thought of any one person having that kind of power could scare him.

I was thinking maybe he could have been talking about Kylo Ren as well, while he was also training under Luke, but Kylo never really showed anything to indicate that kind of power in the first movie.

Doubt he was scared of Yoda lifting an x-wing, besides thats not raw strength

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
From the way he was talking about Rey's raw strength it makes me think the other that he's talking about was similarly not in control of that power. Which leads me to think he's referring to Kylo.

Much like Obi-Wan with Anakin.

"But I was amazed how strongly the Force was with him. I took it upon myself to train him as a Jedi. I thought that I could instruct him just as well as Yoda. I was wrong."

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
All the Emperor did was shoot Luke with force lightning. Not exactly raw power, well perhaps in the literal sense but I dont think thats what Luke meant

From the way he was talking about Rey's raw strength it makes me think the other that he's talking about was similarly not in control of that power. Which leads me to think he's referring to Kylo.

The emperor is probably the strongest force user Luke ever encountered, or at least one of them. He didn't do so well on his own against him. He was a bit foolish, which fits with the line. Kylo is not shown to be an especially powerful user, as Rey bests him.

So if you assume or infer:
1.) Rey is not a Skywalker (please Disney)
2.) Kylo is not the one being talked about

That means it's the emperor. It makes sense for there to be a struggle over who gets to influence and control Rey if she is a Palpatine. The audience knows Palpatine's capacity for evil, so Rey doesn't actually need to do anything evil for us to know there are stakes. It makes sense for Snoke, an emperor like figure, to want to control her and bring her to the dark side, because that parallels the original trilogy. Everyone around Rey being conflicted with her ancestry, including Rey herself, makes for better storytelling. Luke refusing to train her further and then being angered by Leia's death is a really plausible plot point. Rey confronting Snoke or other bad guys with incomplete training parallels ESB. Kylo refusing to kill Leia and turning back towards the light seems like an obvious plot point, given how the trailer is cut. Remember, anything spoon fed or obvious is misdirection.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
He's 100% talking about Kylo. It doesn't matter what Disney portrayed Kylo like in the first movie, he's described as an incredibly powerful force user/duelist, who like his grandfather, was also very emotionally volatile. It's a pretty major plot hole that Kylo was defeated by Rey given their descriptions of him, thus, we shouldn't use that scene as an indication that Kylo is not powerful. Kylo is for all intents and purposes, his grandfather (like Jacen/Caedus in the former EU).

Raw power in this instance would refer to potential yet untapped. In this case, when he was training Kylo, he was not a polished force user. Think about a young, top hockey prospect. He might be insanely talented, but he hasn't fully actualized his talents yet.

He wouldn't be talking about Emperor, because 1) why wouldn't have Luke been scared of the Emperor when he met him? 2) Sidious was an old and insanely powerful force user. Raw power doesn't describe someone who has decades of extensive training under his belt.

To me, Kylo is obviously who is referring to. In the trailer, Luke looks fearful when he's training with Rey. This would match up directly with him not taking Kylo's power seriously enough. With Kylo, he wasn't careful enough with someone so powerful and he eventually destroyed everything. With this line, he's suggesting he won't make the same mistake with Rey.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The Emperor has been dead for 30 years. Why would Luke still fear him? I think the only person other than Kylo he could be referring to would be Snoke, but even there I think Snoke is on a Palpatine type level in terms of being a polished Force user.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad