Movies: Star Wars: Episode VIII THE LAST JEDI (NO SPOILERS - Use the other thread for spoilers)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Kylo is not shown to be an especially powerful user, as Rey bests him.

He stopped a laser blast mid-air with his mind. Seems pretty powerful to me. He got punked by Rey in the woods because a) he was shot in the stomach after murdering his father b) plot device and c) Rey is clearly a powerful force-user as well.

Luke was talking about Kylo. Anything else, specifically all of these Star Wars Fan-Theories, is simply too unecessary and complex. The audience already knows that Luke tried to train Kylo and it went horribly, horribly wrong. There's no reason to deviate from that as it's already a really intriguing storyline to go through.

Reactions: NyQuil

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
He stopped a laser blast mid-air with his mind. Seems pretty powerful to me. He got punked by Rey in the woods because a) he was shot in the stomach after murdering his father b) plot device and c) Rey is clearly a powerful force-user as well.

Luke was talking about Kylo. Anything else, specifically all of these Star Wars Fan-Theories, is simply too unecessary and complex. The audience already knows that Luke tried to train Kylo and it went horribly, horribly wrong. There's no reason to deviate from that as it's already a really intriguing storyline to go through.

What I hope is, but dont hold out for it, that after Luke shuns Rey because he doesnt want her to be Kylo 2.0 goes to kill Rey and Kylo to right his wrongs and end the Jedi. Perhaps Snoke chooses to go after Luke as his apprentice over Kylo which scorns Kylo and turns him against the FO

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Kylo takes Rey to Snoke's throne room, Snoke tries to manipulate Rey into joining him, tortures Rey when she refuses, Kylo turns on Snoke and throws him down a shaft.

:sarcasm:

Reactions: 18Hossa

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah the problem with it being Kylo for me is thought in TFA given the circumstances I could just barely buy that an untrained Rey was able to best him twice. However, if Kylo not only being trained but in Luke's view a more is a powerful force adept than himself, Yoda, Darth Vader, and Palpatine, then yeah I move it into BS territory.

I still think story-wise from what we've seen so far Yoda fits the description best (most powerful Luke has seen), but as Disney isn't going to be too concerned with these sorts of loose plot threads he's probably talking about Kylo.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I dont know if its that unrealistic.

Kylos training was uncomplete, he had just killed his father in a super emotional moment, and he has a gigantic ass wookie bowcaster wound on his side. and weve seen that Rey is not only at least somewhat adept in melee combat, she is quick to the mark with her force abilities

NameInUse

Sep 27, 2017
The fact that Rey is so adept in melee and quick to the mark with the force while being completely untrained leads me to believe she's being influenced by something. You know how jedi can become ghosts after death? What if Sith can do the same, and being more agressive, what if they can directly posess and influence force sensitive people instead of just talking to them? It would explain why she suddenly knew how to fight like Palpatine.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The new trailer doesn't really do that much for me honestly. I mean, it looks cool and everything, but Star Wars just doesn't feel special anymore. The "newness" of the new movies has worn off on me already.

I'm sure TLJ will be decent but ultimately mediocre entertainment just like the other two films.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Even in RoTJ Luke was just a mediocre swordsman. He got his ass handed to him in Empire, and barely beat Vader in Return, to which was the emperor's hope the entire time, so it's likely he was somewhat influencing that outcome.

Thus I fully expect Rey to be as skilled as a Jedi Master by the beginning of this movie.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
The fact that Rey is so adept in melee and quick to the mark with the force while being completely untrained leads me to believe she's being influenced by something. You know how jedi can become ghosts after death? What if Sith can do the same, and being more agressive, what if they can directly posess and influence force sensitive people instead of just talking to them? It would explain why she suddenly knew how to fight like Palpatine.
She's adept at melee because she grew up alone and had to learn to defend herself. We saw it on Jakku when she fought off Plutt's henchmen.

That's an odd Palpatine theory you are proposing, there.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Not to get into this yet again, but if she's powerful enough to scare Luke Skywalker from training her, is it really that much of a stretch that she could fight off a Force user that just murdered his father and was shot with a weapon that would have likely killed a normal person immediately?

NameInUse

Sep 27, 2017
She's adept at melee because she grew up alone and had to learn to defend herself. We saw it on Jakku when she fought off Plutt's henchmen.

That's an odd Palpatine theory you are proposing, there.
Lol possibly odd, but there has to be a reason why she was ditched on a desert planet to fend for herself. That doesn't feel like something Luke would do for no good reason, so I don't believe in any theory where she's just a plain old Skywalker. The fact that she fights like Palpatine unlike anyone else in the movies also seems like an odd coincidence, and in these movies, everyone is related to someone, so the way I see it, she's either related to Palpatine, or she's a Skywalker posessed by Palpatine.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
NameInUse said:
The fact that she fights like Palpatine unlike anyone else in the movies also seems like an odd coincidence, and in these movies, everyone is related to someone, so the way I see it, she's either related to Palpatine, or she's a Skywalker posessed by Palpatine.

I think you're reading into this way too much.

Anakin could beat an entire line-up of professional pod-racers as a toddler so I think you just have to assume that people with the Force can do extraordinary things and that's the basic explanation for everything.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I think it would be way more interesting if Rey grew into a villain but I am certain that won't happen. This is Disney were talking about.

I would love it though. Rey goes bad and Finn saves the galaxy.

NameInUse

Sep 27, 2017
I think it would be way more interesting if Rey grew into a villain but I am certain that won't happen. This is Disney were talking about.

I agree with this 100%... In the last one, I want to see the last standing force user wiped out or die of old age and take the force with him/her.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

It would be interesting.

But as you say, I guarantee that there would be massive outrage that Rey turned evil given what a positive female role model she is.

There was a similar perceived outrage when people thought that Finn was a black stormtrooper. Why does the only stormtrooper without a helmet have to be black? I think it was pretty obvious that he was only temporarily going to be a stormtrooper but there was still a controversy.

For the next little while, we're going to have to deal with heroines who do no wrong because of the historical lack of strong female characters.

NameInUse

Sep 27, 2017
It would be interesting.

But as you say, I guarantee that there would be massive outrage that Rey turned evil given what a positive female role model she is.

There was a similar perceived outrage when people thought that Finn was a black stormtrooper. Why does the only stormtrooper without a helmet have to be black? I think it was pretty obvious that he was only temporarily going to be a stormtrooper but there was still a controversy.

For the next little while, we're going to have to deal with heroines who do no wrong because of the historical lack of strong female characters.
True, but there's an even greater lack of strong female villains. But yeah it's Disney... They're definitely not going to sacrifice creating and cashing in on another princess...

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

I even saw some faux outrage about Finn being "named" by Poe, as if he were a slave. :rolleyes:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
True, but there's an even greater lack of strong female villains. But yeah it's Disney... They're definitely not going to sacrifice creating and cashing in on another princess...

If there's any company that's not short of female villains, it's Disney. Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, 101 Dalmations, Tangeled, Snow White, Cinderella, etc

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If there's any company that's not short of female villains, it's Disney. Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, 101 Dalmations, Tangeled, Snow White, Cinderella, etc

Have they ever turned a heroine into a villain? Even temporarily?

Maleficent is the only one I can think of I guess.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I dont know if its that unrealistic.

Kylos training was uncomplete, he had just killed his father in a super emotional moment, and he has a gigantic ass wookie bowcaster wound on his side. and weve seen that Rey is not only at least somewhat adept in melee combat, she is quick to the mark with her force abilities

I said she beat him twice. Well the other one wasn't quite 'beating him', but while they had her captive he tried to do pull some mind stuff on her and she resisted him.

And sorry for starting that argument again :laugh:

Finlandia WOAT

No blocks, No slappers
May 23, 2010
Kylo's training was incomplete,

That doesn't really work for the film because it's never explained what that actually means. And he was clearly trained enough that he and his goon squad were able to wipe out the new Jedi Order, something that was also never explained.

I think you're reading into this way too much.

Anakin could beat an entire line-up of professional pod-racers as a toddler so I think you just have to assume that people with the Force can do extraordinary things and that's the basic explanation for everything.

He was also the only human able to do it. They made a point to mention that. :laugh:

Pod racing gets a pass because it's easily the coolest thing to come out of a movie about space taxes and proxy wars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad