Movies: Star Wars: Episode VIII THE LAST JEDI (NO SPOILERS - Use the other thread for spoilers)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I watched a theory that I scoffed at...I'll put it in tags again but it does draw from a prequel element

There was a theory that Rey was born Anakin Skywalker style. No father. The force created her, she is a manifestation of the same force energy that created Darth Vader...I thought it was pretty stupid. But it doesn't sound as stupid anymore

I like this one way more:

Immaculate force baby would be the worst possible option IMO.

Reactions: TP and ColePens

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It would be pretty cool if they pulled the old switcheroo and had Rey turn to the dark side. Daisy Ridley/Rey is too big of a marketing character though, so they would never do that.
I think she'll be tempted though. I really think Leia's death or some other event will cause her to reel away from evil and turn away from it.

But I think the idea of the grey jedi will be put into Rey. I think the novelization puts in a pretty strong hint that there's a lot of anger and rage in Rey. There's a part that suggests Rey entertained the idea of slaughtering Kylo when he was vulnerable in their fight. A voice told her to strike him down. I think we'll still see Rey channel rage and aggression but for positive aims. She'll break this rather absurd idea that if you given to basic human emotions like anger, that will necessarily blur your morality to become evil.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Snoke is talking to Rey in the beginning.
Kylo can't gun down his mom and starts heading back to the light.
Luke turns his back on training Rey.
Rey/Ben join forces to fight Snoke.
Rey gets captured by Snoke, starts to give in to the dark side.
Ben has to go to Luke and convince him to help save Rey.

I don't agree with everything you're saying but I do think the general idea of Rey dancing with the dark side and Kylo with the light is going to play out somewhat

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
Again. Look at the shot that immediately followed Luke saying this. I'd bet money he was talking about Kylo/Ben Solo

I'm just really hoping not. The franchise hasn't had a single moment resembling a twist since Vader being the baby daddy. It would be nice if Luke was the one who turned and exiled himself.

You are probably right, the whole thing is going to follow the cookie cutter narrative though.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm just really hoping not. The franchise hasn't had a single moment resembling a twist since Vader being the baby daddy. It would be nice if Luke was the one who turned and exiled himself.

You are probably right, the whole thing is going to follow the cookie cutter narrative though.
What about Luke talking about himself in ROTJ be intriguing?

We're on a path that might see a main antagonist flip to the light side. How is that cookie cutter?

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Again. Look at the shot that immediately followed Luke saying this. I'd bet money he was talking about Kylo/Ben Solo
its a trailer.They could have easily put that scene there just to throw people off.

likewall32

**putt meem hear**
Feb 6, 2006
PA
Can't help but shake the thought that to compensate for all the complaints about The Force Awakens being a rehash of A New Hope, this one has all kinds of twists. Most reasonable but still crazy wrinkle I could glean from the trailer that, on first viewing, didn't seem all that crazy is that Rey turns to the dark side and Luke becomes the hero to fight all of them, unless the opposite happens and as suggested, Kylo can't kill Leia, turns light with Rey, and Luke has gone dark and becomes the ultimate enemy.

None of this is really plausible, but it would be pretty funny and even potentially still very enjoyable if the rug got pulled out from all of us in this film.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Luke being crazed with PTSD and wanting all force users dead would be interesting. He takes the place of Vader on the poster. The red is obviously to imply there's something sinister at play. We know they won't let a Disney princess go evil - she'd have to do something evil to be convincing and we can't have that. I think it's far more likely Rey doesn't complete her training, gets captured, and then Kylo has to convince Luke to train him again to rescue her. Luke will reluctantly agree because Rey being turned by Snoke is too terrible to think about.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Luke says "It didnt scare me enough then" when talking about seeing the power before. To me this clearly, sans red herring, means he is turning his back on Rey when he sees just how truly powerful she is because he wants no part in loose cannons. Snoke and Luke also both say raw power so its obvious they are both talking about Kylo

Luke says "this is not going the way you think" while looking defeated in the rain, perhaps part of Reys vision where Kylo saves her from being killed in the rain

The last lines are clearly not related. Rey is in a cave and is almost a certainty talking to Luke in a cave on the island while Kylo holding his hand out looks like it could be from when he destroyed Lukes academy, which is also shown in the trailer

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Is anyone else bothered at all by the new "gorilla walker" design? Star Wars hasn't borrowed so directly from nature before in their ship/vehicle designs (and especially not Imperial/FO designs). Not just the knuckle walking, but also the big forward-humped backs. It really seems out of place.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Is anyone else bothered at all by the new "gorilla walker" design? Star Wars hasn't borrowed so directly from nature before in their ship/vehicle designs (and especially not Imperial/FO designs). Not just the knuckle walking, but also the big forward-humped backs. It really seems out of place.

Yes, it seems a little strange. It does not seem to be a very practical design or very inspired. I personally think WETA should be given all the money in the world for the production aspect of these movies but I'm not Disney.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad