Movies: Star Wars: Episode VIII THE LAST JEDI (NO SPOILERS - Use the other thread for spoilers)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Was it that more chances were taken? Or was it that the norms of the franchising part of the movie industry hadn’t been established yet?

Both.

Star Wars in itself was a huge risk. Such a risk than the studio, being pretty sure it would bombed, accepted to sell Lucas the merchandizing rights. They accepted to finance a project they thought would fail because Lucas was well-known and they let him have the commercial rights because they had no faith in the project. That's taking huge risks.

Of course, to your point, that part of the business wasn't develop back then. That's actually how it was developped.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Both.

Star Wars in itself was a huge risk. Such a risk than the studio, being pretty sure it would bombed, accepted to sell Lucas the merchandizing rights. They accepted to finance a project they thought would fail because Lucas was well-known and they let him have the commercial rights because they had no faith in the project. That's taking huge risks.

Of course, to your point, that part of the business wasn't develop back then. That's actually how it was developped.

Right, but my main point is that there aren’t risks to take anymore.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

Surprised no one posted this yet. My takeaways:

Rey has on some darker looking robes
Poe seems to have a greatly expanded role in this one if you consider all the footage released so far.
The whole cast seems to love Rian. Shame he couldn't do 9

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
International poster:

star-wars-the-last-jedi-international-poster.jpg

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
So how are they going to explain Phasma surviving a trash compactor?

I'm more interested in them explaining the waste that was Christie in that role. Also, why phasma ever gave up the shield codes. Way to make your bad ass character look like a chump.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I mean. Boba Fett went out like a chump so.

Seeing what the Mandalorians were doing with their jetpacks in Rebels makes him look like even more of a chump. Although I guess Jango wasn't really a true Mandalorian, so I guess maybe that's too high a standard to hold his "son" to.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009

I will never defend Lucas for the pleasure yacht crap in RoTJ. He went from a killer setup with Jabas palace, to a complete and utter crap shoot with the yacht, sarlac and Boba dying like a chump.

The only redeeming quality of the Yacht scenes was sexy princess Leia.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I will never defend Lucas for the pleasure yacht crap in RoTJ. He went from a killer setup with Jabas palace, to a complete and utter crap shoot with the yacht, sarlac and Boba dying like a chump.

I don't think Jabba's Palace was well handled either. TFA gets all this flak for derivative elements but people ignore that ROTJ did a second death star first with zero explanation behind it, and Jabba's Palace to me was a mess that was trying to recreate the feel of the Mos Eisely cantina. All they added was the Rancor. And Luke's plan...no one will ever convince me that making 3PO and R2 hostages before sending Leia to fail before Luke finally decides to take the rescue attempt into his, most qualified hands. And even worse, Lando managed to infiltrate Jabba's ranks and did literally nothing.

I've always been critical of ROTJ though. So take it for what you will. I always felt the only strong part of that film was the Luke with the Emperor scenes.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
A lot of people are critical of RotJ but then people come in talking about the space battle and the Luke/Vader/Emperor scene being awesome even though it has zero impact on the plot

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

Boba didn’t die. I don’t know why the myth keeps getting repeated. Lucas had a scene written showing his escape but felt it didn’t fit the rest of the movie. He returned in the EU with Lucas’ blessing because Lucas never intended on killing him off anyway. It’s worse on Lucas making it look like he died for the sake of something cool but he absolutely did not die.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Boba didn’t die. I don’t know why the myth keeps getting repeated. Lucas had a scene written showing his escape but felt it didn’t fit the rest of the movie. He returned in the EU with Lucas’ blessing because Lucas never intended on killing him off anyway. It’s worse on Lucas making it look like he died for the sake of something cool but he absolutely did not die.
Does it really matter that he didn't die? He was erased as a threat on a slapstick film device.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Does it really matter that he didn't die? He was erased as a threat on a slapstick film device.

For criticizing the scene, no it doesn’t. I just care because it’s a canon thing and it gets brought up when the Boba Fett stand-alone is talked about because people say “that makes no sense, he died!”. Or in the context it was in this thread. I’m anal about it because Legends EU made it clear he didn’t die and Disney EU is hardly making any stories post ROJ so people don’t get it attention.

It was a cheesy way to eliminate the ostensibly most feared bounty hunter in the galaxy though.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Boba Fett wasn't even that cool. He was a cool bounty hunter that helped capture Solo, and it is funny that he gets an unceremonious death.

I think with how many people fell in love with such a minor character the death was deserved.
Did Boba Fett get the kind of hype that Captain Phasma did? Was Boba Fett's actor from a well-known show that led to the hype?

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
Perhaps there will be no new age, no new Mandalore, no great Mandalorian crusade. They will die a death that will last millennia, until all that remains is their code, their history, and in the end, the shell of their armor upon the shell of a man, too easily slain by Jedi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad