Movies: Star Wars: Episode VIII THE LAST JEDI (NO SPOILERS - Use the other thread for spoilers)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Perhaps there will be no new age, no new Mandalore, no great Mandalorian crusade. They will die a death that will last millennia, until all that remains is their code, their history, and in the end, the shell of their armor upon the shell of a man, too easily slain by Jedi.

I think I remember Obsidian saying this was referring to Jango. Which makes sense given the backstory Jango was given, and further stories Boba was given with him restoring the Mandalorians and the title of Mandalore.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
Yeah the movie was released yesterday in the Hollywood "Premiere" so stuff is starting to slowly leak out. Figured I might as well watch it ASAP

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Early reactions seem good. Spoilers are going to be tough to avoid. Due to reasons I wont be seeing it until next Sunday
Early reactions also seem to state that for this movie in particular, leaks should be avoided at all costs, and the fact that it's different and something to process seems to be a uniform claim from people who saw it. I'm excited.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I have a friend who works for a collectibles store and she's working a premiere event. I lagged on getting a ticket but she's giving one to me for free.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm hoping whatever the big twist it, it somehow removes Rey from the main protagonist role.

Hiding behind the fact she's an important female jedi (not that i have a problem with that, i think it's actually one of the few "risks" disney has taken that was good) doesn't change the fact she's an awfully written character.

Her progression arc is garbage compared to Luke. Luke isn't a one man army that the entire galaxy suddenly trusts because reasons. Hell, Han treats him like dead weight up until return of the jedi.

But of course you can't point out the flaws in her writing because you're immediately an evil pawn of the patriarchy.

Reactions: Merya and Aladyyn

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I'm hoping whatever the big twist it, it somehow removes Rey from the main protagonist role.

Hiding behind the fact she's an important female jedi (not that i have a problem with that, i think it's actually one of the few "risks" disney has taken that was good) doesn't change the fact she's an awfully written character.

Her progression arc is garbage compared to Luke. Luke isn't a one man army that the entire galaxy suddenly trusts because reasons. Hell, Han treats him like dead weight up until return of the jedi.

But of course you can't point out the flaws in her writing because you're immediately an evil pawn of the patriarchy.

.... you have no idea what her progression arc is yet. You won't know the answer to that until December 2019.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
That's a trick question. She has no arc. She's already somehow a skilled pilot, an expert force user, somehow knows a ship inside out while the guy who's owned the damn thing for 3 decades stands there in amazement. Everyone loves her and trusts her with finding the galaxy's most wanted man in Luke despite barely knowing her. Her arc will be one of stagnation and boredom.

Compared to Luke, who started the first movie as a sheltered, backwards kid lacking belief in himself needing to be carried along by the likes of Han Solo and Obi-Wan Kenobi until his apex in becoming a bonafide jedi master and restoring balance to the force by freeing his dad from the dark side and killing the emperor by proxy.

Reactions: Merya and Aladyyn

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
That's a trick question. She has no arc. She's already somehow a skilled pilot, an expert force user, somehow knows a ship inside out while the guy who's owned the damn thing for 3 decades stands there in amazement. Everyone loves her and trusts her with finding the galaxy's most wanted man in Luke despite barely knowing her. Her arc will be one of stagnation and boredom.

Compared to Luke, who started the first movie as a sheltered, backwards kid lacking belief in himself needing to be carried along by the likes of Han Solo and Obi-Wan Kenobi until his apex in becoming a bonafide jedi master and restoring balance to the force by freeing his dad from the dark side and killing the emperor by proxy.
Such horseshit. They're nearly identical. Luke and especially Anakin are just as much of Mary Sues.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Recently tried to rewatch TFA and couldn't even bother finishing it I was so bored. I'll be there on Friday.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
I see alot of people these days complain that Luke was a "gary sue" but even if he was (I can see a bit of it but not nearly as much as Rey) What does that matter?

But yes, TFA really wasn't that good to me, but it won everyone over because it played it safe and had a lot of fan service.

the PT was anything but safe... I mean, tax laws? Really...ugh

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I see alot of people these days complain that Luke was a "gary sue" but even if he was (I can see a bit of it but not nearly as much as Rey) What does that matter?

But yes, TFA really wasn't that good to me, but it won everyone over because it played it safe and had a lot of fan service.

the PT was anything but safe... I mean, tax laws? Really...ugh
The movie basically screams "PLEASE LIKE ME" for its whole duration.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Rogue One is easily the best Star Wars movie ever made.

I've tried to watch the original trilogy again and it is rough.

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
Of course the one time I use Facebook in the last couple months and there's a giant TLJ spoiler post. I already have my tickets for Sunday. I'm really hoping they are not true, cause if so, woof.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I remember I had TFA spoiled for me last year by looking at comments on an ESPN tweet. I was upset, because I just had no idea. But, that's why I am seeing it on Thursday this time around. Went to order my tickets yesterday and found out that the movie theater I'm going to has recliner chairs, so that's also pretty exciting. It better be good, or I will be falling asleep :)

But, on a serious note, I am pretty easy to please when it comes to movies, so I feel like I wouldn't get along with many of you. Heck, I don't even notice a vast majority of flaws until someone points them out. Guess I just try to enjoy the movie instead of picking it apart while I'm watching it. The only stuff that bothers me is cringe-worthy acting, like what we saw in the trilogy - and what I think was the worst in Episode II between Anakin and Padme.

Basically what I'm trying to break to you here is that I liked both Rogue One and TFA. They're both totally different movies with different purposes, and I hate that people spend so much time comparing them.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I’ve managed to avoid spoilers for both Rogue One and TFA despite waiting till January. I’m pretty sure I can guess TLJ’s twist now but I can wait till I find out.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I had TFA spoiled for me in the Toronto subrreddit. Someone was just spamming "Han Solo dies" in every thread.

I mean, we all saw it coming, but I wish it hadn't been spoiled for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad