Online Series: Star Trek Strange New Worlds Season 2 (LOWER DECK CROSSOVER ALERT)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Ironic comment considering The Orville rips of Star Trek and Star Wars and doesn't exactly have much originality. And that's coming from someone who likes the show. :laugh:

I wanted to see if you'd make that comment and you didn't let me down. :)

Even though The Orville just ripped off TOS/TNG, it modernized the format before the folks in charge of actual Star Trek did and I imagine that they liked it, too, and took some inspiration from it. In particular, this episode reminded me of one of the early Alana-focused episodes, in which she's also a young, nervous officer who has doubts about herself at the start and becomes more confident by the end of the episode.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I wanted to see if you'd make that comment and you didn't let me down. :)

Even though The Orville just ripped off TOS/TNG, it modernized the format before the folks in charge of actual Star Trek did and I imagine that they liked it, too, and took some inspiration from it. In particular, this episode reminded me of one of the early Alana-focused episodes, in which she's also a young, nervous officer who has doubts about herself at the start and becomes more confident by the end of the episode.
To be fair, that’s a fairly standard dramatic trope across the sci-fi board, and across all genres in general.

I wouldn’t really say anyone is ripping off anyone else with that kind of plot.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
To be fair, that’s a fairly standard dramatic trope across the sci-fi board, and across all genres in general.

I wouldn’t really say anyone is ripping off anyone else with that kind of plot.

OK, but I didn't say that, either, and I think that suggesting that they might've been inspired was being fair.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
OK, but I didn't say that, either, and I think that suggesting that they might've been inspired was being fair.
I’m not sure they were any more inspired from that than they were from any other TV show or movie that has that kind of plot though. It’s not a Trekkian-specific, sci-fi specific, or genre specific thing.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I’m not sure they were any more inspired from that than they were from any other TV show or movie that has that kind of plot though. It’s not a Trekkian-specific, sci-fi specific, or genre specific thing.

I think that it stands to reason that the writers are liable to be inspired more by the shows that are similar to their own. Trek and Trek-like series are sure to have the most influence on their story ideas. It can't be a coincidence, after all, that the first episode of SNW was similar to the TOS episode A Taste for Armageddon. That was likely a conscious inspiration, and I'm not saying that this second episode was consciously inspired by that episode of The Orville, but I imagine that the writer has seen it and it had at least a subconscious influence. Maybe not, but whether it came from that show or many others isn't much of a difference.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think that it stands to reason that the writers are liable to be inspired more by the shows that are similar to their own. Trek and Trek-like series are sure to have the most influence on their story ideas. It can't be a coincidence, after all, that the first episode of SNW was similar to the TOS episode A Taste for Armageddon. That was likely a conscious inspiration, and I'm not saying that this second episode was consciously inspired by that episode of The Orville, but I imagine that the writer has seen it and it had at least a subconscious influence. Maybe not, but whether it came from that show or many others isn't much of a difference.
I’m just saying that there isn’t much point in debating it. It’s a non issue imo. It’s not like they copied a unique plot or story idea from an obscure/niche source. This kind of story is universal to all genres and mediums.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I’m just saying that there isn’t much point in debating it. It’s a non issue imo. It’s not like they copied a unique plot or story idea from an obscure/niche source. This kind of story is universal to all genres and mediums.

You chose to have this debate, Don't blame me that it's pointless. ;)

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I do have to say that 2 episodes into the series and I know more character names than after watching 2-1/4 seasons of Discovery. They have so far gotten that right.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I do have to say that 2 episodes into the series and I know more character names than after watching 2-1/4 seasons of Discovery. They have so far gotten that right.

Isn't that because they're mostly familiar names, though? Pike, Spock, Uhura, Chapel, Noonien-Singh, Kirk, "Number One" and April are all names that we already know.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Isn't that because they're mostly familiar names, though? Pike, Spock, Uhura, Chapel, Noonien-Singh, Kirk, "Number One" and April are all names that we already know.
That helps, but not just that. It's because on Discovery most of the characters are replacement level characters, you could plug anyone into those generic archetypes and you wouldn't even notice a difference. La'an has an individual personality so far, Ortegas has an individual personality so far, etc. La'an received a lot of character development in episode 1, and Ortegas has had snippets over both episodes. They just introduced the Aenar engineer so we'll see where they go with him, but I suspect we'll be getting an episode about him soon.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That helps, but not just that. It's because on Discovery most of the characters are replacement level characters, you could plug anyone into those generic archetypes and you wouldn't even notice a difference. La'an has an individual personality so far, Ortegas has an individual personality so far, etc. La'an received a lot of character development in episode 1, and Ortegas has had snippets over both episodes. They just introduced the Aenar engineer so we'll see where they go with him, but I suspect we'll be getting an episode about him soon.
Looks like next week, based on the promo.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'd say that Burnham, Georgiou, Tilly, Saru, Stamets and Lorca all had individual personalities and character development. If you're comparing La'an and Ortegas to some of Discovery's bridge crew (like android girl), then yeah, there's a big difference, but SNW has a couple of bridge crew that we've seen and heard but learned nothing about, as well.

Edit: Thinking about it more, SNW has put a little more focus on the lesser experienced characters so far. In Discovery, outside of Tilly, the less experienced characters were in the background. In SNW, they get more attention. If that's what you were getting at, I'd agree with that.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I just noticed that the first episode is free on YouTube:

Edit: And now it's not.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I am in the UK and getting not available

I'm getting that now, too. Oh well. It said that it was uploaded 7 days ago, so Paramount seemingly made it available when the 2nd episode dropped and then pulled it when the 3rd episode dropped. It seems that they should just leave it up permanently to entice people to sign up for Paramount+ to see the rest.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I'm getting that now, too. Oh well. It said that it was uploaded 7 days ago, so Paramount seemingly made it available when the 2nd episode dropped and then pulled it when the 3rd episode dropped. It seems that they should just leave it up permanently to entice people to sign up for Paramount+ to see the rest.
Based on numbers on the biggest torrent sites, people are already watching it for free.

• Haha
Reactions: wej20

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad