Online Series: Star Trek Strange New Worlds Season 2 (LOWER DECK CROSSOVER ALERT)

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I think that it's mostly his Gumby hair this season which looks a little too "pretty," especially for a rancher who didn't care how he looked at the very start of the season.

pike-comparison.jpg
I'd prefer to believe this is a futuristic anti-gravity version of the man-bun.

Makes me wonder what future technology has in store for baldness. Notwithstanding Picard's cool dome, maybe they could invent... wait for it... The Holo-Graft.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
This episode was enjoyable.

Surprised when they mentioned Spock's sister she didn't show up to save the Enterprise and negotiate a peace treaty with the Gorn while simultaneously performing surgery on Number One's wounds! :laugh:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Latest episode was a bit goofy, but that is what they were going for and I enjoyed it overall. I enjoyed the diplomatic plot and the La'an and Number One plots more than the Spock/T'Pring plot.

I still really appreciate the overall tone of the show so far, it's such a massive improvement over other recent series.

Reactions: Jussi and wej20

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Latest episode was a bit goofy, but that is what they were going for and I enjoyed it overall. I enjoyed the diplomatic plot and the La'an and Number One plots more than the Spock/T'Pring plot.

I still really appreciate the overall tone of the show so far, it's such a massive improvement over other recent series.

Like on the OG series--I got the trouble with Tribbles vibe from the episode. The one thing star trek has lost is the fact it takes itself too seriously and it was nice to see them show they still have a sense of humour. Lets face facts Khan and Number one are a bit too tightly wound and letting them have come fun was nice to see. Even if it came like it was a rejected idea from below decks

Reactions: Jussi and Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
That episode captured Roddenberry's "hopeful future vibe" that has been missed in Discovery and Picard.
The whole plot with the alien species that works on radical empathy was really good, as was Pike's speeches at the ends about it. I didn't catch on until he said it, but it made sense afterwards. At the start of the episode they are direct to the point and down to business because the only person they had interacted with was La'an. As soon as they meet Pike they start being friendly, then with Spock they are logical.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Another thing to add about SNW so far is that La'an and Una are what they tried to do with a lot of the Discovery cast but horribly failed at. La'an and Una are both very serious and direct people, but they are not assholes and they are not demeaning. They clearly care a lot of about the crew and the people they are responsible for, and make efforts to show that when needed. Most of the crew when I watched Discovery were just outright shitty people, they constantly insulted each other and a lot of the interactions were demeaning to their fellow crew. Nothing about it seemed professional.

Reactions: Guardian17

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Another thing to add about SNW so far is that La'an and Una are what they tried to do with a lot of the Discovery cast but horribly failed at. La'an and Una are both very serious and direct people, but they are not assholes and they are not demeaning. They clearly care a lot of about the crew and the people they are responsible for, and make efforts to show that when needed. Most of the crew when I watched Discovery were just outright shitty people, they constantly insulted each other and a lot of the interactions were demeaning to their fellow crew. Nothing about it seemed professional.
I don't recall it being like that. Are you sure you're not mixing up the Mirror universe crew? At least the last two seasons, they were very supportive of each other.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I don't recall it being like that. Are you sure you're not mixing up the Mirror universe crew? At least the last two seasons, they were very supportive of each other.
I stopped watching after season 3 episode 2 or 3 because the show was terrible, but no I am not mixing up how things were in season 1 and 2. The crew were not nice people generally, and were constantly bickering.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I stopped watching after season 3 episode 2 or 3 because the show was terrible, but no I am not mixing up how things were in season 1 and 2. The crew were not nice people generally, and were constantly bickering.
Yeah, a lot of that had to do with them being thrown into such difficult situations with minimal experience. They've worked out those issues in a mature ways, I think they even talked about it together.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

Exactly.

This snarky attitude by the crew was the writer's effort to undermine Gene Roddenberry's hopeful future.

They don't understand Star Trek and just want to push their agenda.

Watch the first episode of The Orville New Horizons if you want a Star Trek show with intelligent writing that doesn't lecture or talk down to you.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Exactly.

This snarky attitude by the crew was the writer's effort to undermine Gene Roddenberry's hopeful future.

They don't understand Star Trek and just want to push their agenda.

Watch the first episode of The Orville New Horizons if you want a Star Trek show with intelligent writing that doesn't lecture or talk down to you.
No, it was part of crew's character development. They're very much united now.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
This show is growing a lot on me. Despite some flaws, it finally feels like we have a proper Trek show (not counting the Orville lolll). Far superior to Picard and that trash STD.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
I like how they are not just concentrating development on the main actors every episode.
And the crew is mostly likeable. I don't hate any of them unlike STD where I hate just about everyone. :laugh:
Also, the humor is not forced and
there is not always a happy ending as is the case in this week's episode.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Another good episode.

The show is off to a really strong start. Anson Mount is killing it, as expected. Ethan Peck is doing a great job as Spock here, much better than the Zachary Quinto portrayal. Supporting characters are really strong so far and actually feel like real people. While I would have preferred something that was not a prequel, this is otherwise the Star Trek show I wanted.

Besides the twisted child sacrifice plot, it was pretty clear that Alora didn't actually understand Pike. She thought he would join her society to escape his fate, but if being maimed for life means he saves 5 cadets, he chooses that every single time.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Another excellent episode.

I am enjoying how Uhura is being portrayed.

If this were Discovery, she'd be promoted to First Officer by now. :laugh:

On Strange New Worlds she is a capable cadet making the most of her opportunities.

Seems like the writers are learning that rank has to be earned, not bestowed.

Reactions: Canadiens Ghost

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Another excellent episode.

I am enjoying how Uhura is being portrayed.

If this were Discovery, she'd be promoted to First Officer by now. :laugh:

On Strange New Worlds she is a capable cadet making the most of her opportunities.

Seems like the writers are learning that rank has to be earned, not bestowed.
Blatant lie, for everyone reading.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I enjoyed this episode.

I appreciate how grounded it felt. The writing, the acting, the dialog, it all had more believability to it. It wasn't filled with a bunch of quippy Marvel-esque dialog. Even nurse Chapel was acting like an adult in her short little scene.

They also managed to have likeable child characters. Often kids can be insufferable and annoying, but they were both well written and well acted.

There's been some criticism that this story was lifted from the short story "The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas", but I'm fine with pulling inspiration from elsewhere, just not copying it. Star Trek has always had classic literary inspiration.

I like M'Benga. He feels the most realistic as a character. Like an actual doctor and there's a certain warmness to him. The setup with him and his daughter is nice.

This isn't a perfect episode. It's not a great episode. But it is a solid episode.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I have a bit of an issue with Pike's character.

He lacks agency. Stuff is always happening and he's just along for the ride.

He's always looking to make a joke or sarcastic comment even in serious situations.

Reactions: Lshap

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I have a bit of an issue with Pike's character.

He lacks agency. Stuff is always happening and he's just along for the ride.

He's always looking to make a joke or sarcastic comment even in serious situations.
I mean he knows his grim future. He chooses not to brood over it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad