Online Series: Star Trek Strange New Worlds Season 2 (LOWER DECK CROSSOVER ALERT)

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
This is a neat video. I didn't realize M'Benga's accent is not the actor's natural accent. Makes me appreciate his performance even more.

Haven't had time to weigh in on the new series. SNW is my favorite of the new Trek shows. Loving the return to episodic Trek. The last episode was odd, but I like that the show seems willing to try anything. Good cast, and most are being given an opportunity to breathe. I know more about these characters than I do DISCO's bridge crew four seasons in. "Spock Amok" is my favorite episode so far.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The M'Benga storyline with his daughter had good potential, but in typical nu-Trek fashion, an interesting premise was rushed through and not fully explored.

As the honeymoon period of this show wears off, I'm finding myself less and less compelled to watch the next episode. It just isn't that good.

Only 2 episodes left in the season, and the best they've achieved thus far is mediocrity.

This is likely as good as it will ever get for Kurtzmen Trek.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Preview for next week looks like a horror episode, very much giving off Alien vibes.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
The reason they probably avoid a show about 1701-G or H or years in the future from TNG Era, is those ships keep getting bigger, so more characters to run the thing and better effects are needed.

The Enterprise-F bridge in STO is pretty intense and like three levels.

That's a show I'm waiting to see.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
The M'Benga storyline with his daughter had good potential, but in typical nu-Trek fashion, an interesting premise was rushed through and not fully explored.

If I was Babs Olusanmokun and read the script for the last episode I'd be furious.

The writers screwed him out of a great story arc for M'Benga.

His character would have to deal with with giving up his daughter to an alien cloud and wondering if he made the right choice.

Instead, his daughter reappears 60 seconds after she left to reassure him that she is all right and he made the right choice.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
If I was Babs Olusanmokun and read the script for the last episode I'd be furious.

The writers screwed him out of a great story arc for M'Benga.

His character would have to deal with with giving up his daughter to an alien cloud and wondering if he made the right choice.

Instead, his daughter reappears 60 seconds after she left to reassure him that she is all right and he made the right choice.
Yea, the story was far too rushed and therefore fell flat.

Reactions: Guardian17

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
SNW from what I've seen is a fine standalone show. The issue is there's too much retconning for me. I grew up on Star Trek and I don't like retconning. There will be times writers are loose with facts are things don't make sense, but it's a whole other level with Nu Trek.

I'm annoyed that Spock now isn't the only TOS character who served aboard the Enterprise prior. It doesn't make sense in the context of TOS, the original six movies, the hundreds of novels, the Marvel/DC/Malibu comic runs, etc. That was a huge part of the show and it was established Spock was the longest tenured person on 1701.

The reason they probably avoid a show about 1701-G or H or years in the future from TNG Era, is those ships keep getting bigger, so more characters to run the thing and better effects are needed.

I don't have an Odyssey Class ship in STO on Series X yet but do plan on getting one later. I have enough Fleet credits and/or dilithium to get one. Side note, man the latest Episode they released this week changed all the menus to German... :facepalm:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Very good episode. Surprised they killed off Hemmer so quickly, but they needed some weight rather than just pulling a Walking Dead with the other 2 they introduced just to kill.

La'an better be back for season 2, she was one of the strongest characters on the show.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
SNW from what I've seen is a fine standalone show. The issue is there's too much retconning for me. I grew up on Star Trek and I don't like retconning. There will be times writers are loose with facts are things don't make sense, but it's a whole other level with Nu Trek.

I'm annoyed that Spock now isn't the only TOS character who served aboard the Enterprise prior. It doesn't make sense in the context of TOS, the original six movies, the hundreds of novels, the Marvel/DC/Malibu comic runs, etc. That was a huge part of the show and it was established Spock was the longest tenured person on 1701.

that is what I thought but if you read some of the books that came out in the 70's--two of the books were about how the main crew came together and both Sulu and Hura actually served as cadets under Pike

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
that is what I thought but if you read some of the books that came out in the 70's--two of the books were about how the main crew came together and both Sulu and Hura actually served as cadets under Pike
My biggest issue is the show has a few too many characters that we know are in TOS, so we know there is really no stakes for them on SNW. The best you can get is some character development hopefully, but that development always leads to the same place you know.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Wait, was it season 2 footage? I don't remember anymore.
Pretty sure yea, they cast him for season 2. I guess it's possible we could get a cameo here, but I don't think they even cast the character until long after they finished season 1.

Reactions: Jussi

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The books are always hit and miss and play around with cannon. They pretty much mad Joanna McCoy a background character (she showed up in the comics too).

Where is Sulu in SNW? They're not going to boot Ortegas next season. If the character shows up, Uhura may already be an Ensign.

I really hope they do something in Season 2 for Laurel Goodwin who played Yeoman Colt in The Cage.

Bring the character into the story. I mean it actually makes sense for the SNW Enterprise crew to know her unlike Chapel, Uhura, M'Benga.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Very good episode. Surprised they killed off Hemmer so quickly, but they needed some weight rather than just pulling a Walking Dead with the other 2 they introduced just to kill.

La'an better be back for season 2, she was one of the strongest characters on the show.
I know it seems like it but... you know the trope. Are they really dead if they don't die on screen? Granted the odds weren't very much in his favor. :laugh:
Too bad if it is the case, I liked him.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I know it seems like it but... you know the trope. Are they really dead if they don't die on screen? Granted the odds weren't very much in his favor. :laugh:
Too bad if it is the case, I liked him.
I mean we didn't see him hit the bottom, but he was falling from a crazy height.

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
I'm disappointed about Hemmer. He wasn't featured in many episodes, but had a commanding enough presence to make you feel like he was a regular. I won't say his untimely death makes him a wasted character, because he wasn't. I just wanted more. Very likeable with lots of potential. He's dead, Jim.

Uhura is an ensign now, I'm sure. Just going by final scene in episode. She finished her cadet rotation.

La'An has to come back for season 2. It feels way too soon to move her character out. The new faces all come with expiration dates, but there's lots space to explore before setting up Kirk's Enterprise. La'An is a keeper for the remainder of the series. The showrunners must realize this.

I liked this week's Gorn episode. The preview had me expecting something more like The Thing, but it trended heavily towards Alien. I'm glad they showed the Gorn. No need to tip-toe around canon, just tell an entertaining story. I like how SNW is bouncing around genres week to week. From campy fairy tales to thriller, to comedy. Never know what to expect.

OT-- I probably won't watch The Orville for a couple of months, as I rotate streaming services on top of an overpriced cable subscription. I hate being out of the loop. Stumbled on a spoiler regarding a character return. Since she was in one of my favorite season 2 episodes, I can live with knowing. Hearing good things.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'm disappointed about Hemmer. He wasn't featured in many episodes, but had a commanding enough presence to make you feel like he was a regular. I won't say his untimely death makes him a wasted character, because he wasn't. I just wanted more. Very likeable with lots of potential. He's dead, Jim.

Uhura is an ensign now, I'm sure. Just going by final scene in episode. She finished her cadet rotation.

La'An has to come back for season 2. It feels way too soon to move her character out. The new faces all come with expiration dates, but there's lots space to explore before setting up Kirk's Enterprise. La'An is a keeper for the remainder of the series. The showrunners must realize this.

I liked this week's Gorn episode. The preview had me expecting something more like The Thing, but it trended heavily towards Alien. I'm glad they showed the Gorn. No need to tip-toe around canon, just tell an entertaining story. I like how SNW is bouncing around genres week to week. From campy fairy tales to thriller, to comedy. Never know what to expect.

OT-- I probably won't watch The Orville for a couple of months, as I rotate streaming services on top of an overpriced cable subscription. I hate being out of the loop. Stumbled on a spoiler regarding a character return. Since she was in one of my favorite season 2 episodes, I can live with knowing. Hearing good things.
Assuming the show can go at least 5 seasons, I'd like to see La'an get promoted a few times and move off the ship at the end of the last episode. They have already started developing her into a leadership character through season 1 and she was acting first officer in episode 1 when Chin-Riley was off the ship, so they have a good foundation to run with that.

Reactions: Mimsy

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Reportedly Kirk will appear in the last episode for a spilt second introduced by his brother to Pike. This is the OG time line and they are using a lot of stuff from the 70's that the new time does not consider canon

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
Assuming the show can go at least 5 seasons, I'd like to see La'an get promoted a few times and move off the ship at the end of the last episode. They have already started developing her into a leadership character through season 1 and she was acting first officer in episode 1 when Chin-Riley was off the ship, so they have a good foundation to run with that.
Yes. She can transfer into a command position elsewhere (or die...hopefully not) as the show winds down. We may have a better sense after the season finale where they're going with the "leave of absence" thing. If she's gone for an episode or three, I'm fine. Otherwise, I'll be confused by any extended absence. She's too good a character.

Reactions: Blender

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad