Online Series: Star Trek Strange New Worlds Season 2 (LOWER DECK CROSSOVER ALERT)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
did not see this coming

okay, need to see if they are screwing with people or is that is actual pre existing canon

will be interesting to see how that character unfolds

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
A certain group of un-hinged people from a certain country who decry cancel culture gonna be calling on Paramount+/Crave etc to be boycotted and driven from the airwaves.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I liked it. It wasn't perfect, but I liked it enough to watch the next one.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Ortegas:
"Course captain? What's the mission?"

Pike:
"Our mission? We explore. We seek out new life and new civilizations. We boldly go where no one has gone before."

Uhura:
"Cool!"

^That sequence of dialog at the end of the episode, is a microcosm of what's wrong with it.

Reactions: Blender

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It was OK, IMO. For the most part, it did feel like a Trek episode, so they got that part right, as promised. It also felt like an expensive show, unlike this last season of Picard, which looked really cheap.

The ending was disappointing, though. Instead of a clever or drastic solution, it took only an inspirational speech. I was surprised that that was all that it took. I think that it would've been more interesting, realistic and powerful if they had continued their fighting. Every episode doesn't have to have a happy, ideal ending for the show to be optimistic, IMO.

Also, I could've done without a Spock love scene and yet another familiar name (Kirk). Speaking of familiar names, Noonien-Singh gave me Burnham vibes. I hope that that doesn't last.

Overall, I wouldn't say that it was good and it didn't exceed my expectations, but it was better than an episode of Discovery or Picard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guardian17

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It was OK, IMO. For the most part, it did feel like a Trek episode.

The ending was disappointing, though. Instead of a clever solution, it took only an inspirational speech. I think that it would've been more interesting, realistic and powerful if they had rejected it and continued their fighting. Every episode doesn't have to have a happy, ideal ending for the show to be optimistic.

Also, I could've done without a Spock love scene and yet another familiar name. Speaking of familiar names, Noonien-Singh gave me Burnham vibes. I hope that that doesn't last.

Overall, I wouldn't say that it was good and it didn't exceed my expectations, but it was better than an episode of Discovery or Picard.
Pretty sure they were going for something like "A Taste for Armageddon" with the heavy handed symbolism and a speech that wraps up the conflict.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Pretty sure they were going for something like "A Taste for Armageddon" with the heavy handed symbolism and a speech that wraps up the conflict.

Yeah, the plot definitely felt recycled, and that was probably the main inspiration. In that episode, though, at least Kirk and crew destroy the war simulation computers, leaving the society no choice but to address their conflict another way. In this episode, they have no reason to change except for Pike's speech and video presentation.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
The first episode was a definite improvement over the lecturing of Discovery and the irrelevance of Picard.

I like the fresh, updated versions of the Enterprise and the uniforms and equipment.

While not perfect, the crew are likeable because they're not woke caricatures.

Good first episode although the bar was set very low with Discovery and Picard.

Reactions: Osprey

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
It's trying really hard to be Star Trek instead of just focusing on telling a good story. There's a meta undercurrent to the whole thing, like the characters subtly know they're on a Star Trek show.

It still has some of the same problems as other CBS Trek; characters act immature and unprofessional. There's a sort of cutesy quirky aspect to it.

Uhura, as portrayed by Nichelle Nichols, feels like a professional doing her job. In SNW she's acting like a 16 year old.

Thankfully these problems are toned down compared to previous Kurtzman-Trek offerings.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Decent episode. Felt like whoever wrote that has been playing Stellaris though.

I very much appreciate that there is character development in this series.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
As somebody who has not watched any of the new Trek (Discovery, Picard, etc.) should I watch those, or at least parts of them, before trying this one? I'm mostly interested in this because of Anson Mount, who I loved in Hell on Wheels.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Really liked both episodes.
As somebody who has not watched any of the new Trek (Discovery, Picard, etc.) should I watch those, or at least parts of them, before trying this one? I'm mostly interested in this because of Anson Mount, who I loved in Hell on Wheels.

I have only seen a couple of seasons of Discovery and you don't. There are passing references to it in episode but other than that it stands on its own and introduces whatever elements from that show that are relevant to this show.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I thought that it was a bit boring and dumb... but still better than a Discovery or Picard episode. It felt like whoever wrote it has been studying The Orville.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I thought that it was a bit boring and dumb... but still better than a Discovery or Picard episode. It felt like whoever wrote it has been studying The Orville.
Ironic comment considering The Orville rips of Star Trek and Star Wars and doesn't exactly have much originality. And that's coming from someone who likes the show. :laugh:

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I liked this episode because I was entertained and not lectured to.

Unlike Discovery, the characters are getting developed to the point where I actually care to learn their names.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Ironic comment considering The Orville rips of Star Trek and Star Wars and doesn't exactly have much originality. And that's coming from someone who likes the show. :laugh:

But they do it well enough where it's worthy of being copied....copied back? :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad