Series Talk: Stanley Cup Playoffs 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
After the next round of expansions, I'd almost like to see just one single league. Say we get to 34 teams. 66 games gets you to play every other team twice. Call that good for the season. Expand the playoffs to 18 teams. Award the cup before June 1st. Draft first weekend June. Free agency the the following week. Everyone is at the cottage before the end of June.

My way we could go 1-16 and reseed every round. Or not. Whatever floats your boat but get the arbitrarily misleading standings of bad divisions eliminated from the overall picture.
The current Bettman playoff system (rivalries) manages to eliminate too many top divisional teams too early in the playoffs. Yes, go 1 -16 and reseed every round. Make those points you've earned during the season meaningful.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
That’s a problem for teams who have couple of big stars like that and think they can win with them without having depth like it’s the NBA. I really thought Edmonton had a chance though, the way they made the finals, but goes to show you how much deeper Florida is.
Let that be a lesson for Joe, CMac and Jared to take to heart.

Depth, Including the need for a lights out goaltender. (Avs don't win their 1st two SC w/o Patrick being totally focused on his game.)

Actually it might be better because when you draft MacKinnon, McDavid, Mikko, Draisaitl etc…eventually you have to pay them big bucks. Florida building the team through trades and free agency gives them more clarity and control as to what players they want and how much they will spend on them. But their franchise defining trade was the Tkachuk trade
In a small way, Tkachuk was similar to the Messier to the NYR type of move.

Reactions: the_fan

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Nah.... Bob earned this one. Always on angle and in position. It's taken weird bounces and unanticipated deflections to get anything past him.

Better Bob than Oetinger (Duncan).
So here is my beef with the Conn Smythe vs Finals performance:

Bobrovsky has played 20 games these playoffs. In 7 of those 20 games he's been below .900 SV%. Florida is still 4-3 in those games.

Is he truly deserving of the Conn Smythe? Or is he simply the best player during the SCF?

IMO, both Barkov and Forsling have more of a case for the Smythe than Bobrovsky does.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
So here is my beef with the Conn Smythe vs Finals performance:

Bobrovsky has played 20 games these playoffs. In 7 of those 20 games he's been below .900 SV%. Florida is still 4-3 in those games.

Is he truly deserving of the Conn Smythe? Or is he simply the best player during the SCF?

IMO, both Barkov and Forsling have more of a case for the Smythe than Bobrovsky does.
Zero chance Forsling wins the Smythe, even though I agree he deserves to be in the conversation. It's either Barkov or Bob.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I have to say, I always root for the Cup to be awarded at home, but it would create months of entertainment to watch Edmonton fans desperately bob and weave to avoid facing reality after their team gets vaporized in the finals by a real contender.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
As predicted:
If we cant win this shit, the cup will go east this year.

And thank god the Panthers dont shit the bed like the rest.

They get their cup, a well-deserved cup btw, and end this season. At least the outcome to this season is bearable with Flordia winning it all.

I dont think it will be in Game 4. But Game 5 at home should seal the deal.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Oilers out-chanced them 35-16 but high danger only 11-10.

xGF was 4.17-3.39 Edmonton. Once again Bob plays better than expected and Skinner worse.

The Oilers NEED to use whatever assets necessary to ship Nurse somewhere this Summer. He has been outplayed by Broberg since the Dallas series, it's time to both play Broberg top four minutes and rid yoursef from one of the worst defensemen in the league.

I truly hope Edmonton ain't that smart because it would really help them. Nine million is a huge anchor.

Crazy how not one, not two, but THREE organizations missed on him.

Forsling is a huge reason why I believe development from organizations isn't something that leads to success. It can help, sure, but if a player is destined to make the NHL then at some point, they will make it regardless of the organization.

Nah. I don't believe that. It's the certain environment that players thrive, right players alongside him, coaches etc. look at Drouin. I seriously doubt he has this good season without MacK and long leash from Bednar. The start was painful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad