Series Talk: Stanley Cup Playoffs 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Unless they can miracously offload Nurse, I think they got one more year at big push for a before the Drai and Bouchard extensions.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Moops

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
The overachievers are showing their true colors. Edmonton were never going to win this year with Skinner and that d-unit. They had a fun ride while it lasted but the first real test has shown them to be what they truly are. A playoff team but not a true contender.
That's why it was especially hilarious when Kenny went out and added Henrique at the deadline instead of adding a guy who could play Top-4 minutes on the backend. Talk about not understanding what you have with your roster and it's weaknesses. He's absolutely abysmal as a GM.

I love you Kenny! :heart::laugh:

Unless they can miracously offload Nurse, I think they got one more year at big push for a before the Drai and Bouchard extensions.
They can't offload him. People suggest that nurse would be ok if he was only $3M overpaid.. I disagree. Imagine having that guy earning $6M on your cap - that's still more than Forsling on his brand new deal.

"Oh he's bad because he's hurt"... Yeah we heard the same rhetoric when we swept them. He's just a shitty D-Man who is passable as a #4/5 guy as long as he's not asked to do too much.

I said at the beginning of the year last year, the ONLY way to get rid of nurse is if you trade him along with something so valuable so that the other team reluctantly accepts. I suggested they could have moved Drai + Nurse to BOS for a combination of Ulmark + Coyle and the Oilers would still have to retain a lot on Nurse for it to happen.

They are stuck with him.

I don't think they have another push, this was it. They'll need to make a decision on leon and we'll see what that looks like but Connor Brown is going to cost them a beautiful $3.225M against next year's cap because he played over 10 games this season. Great job, Kenny!

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Edmonton has >10m in cap space even with the overage and no buyouts. That has to cover Broberg, Holloway, and most of a bottom 6. They have work to do, but they have one more push for sure. Especially when you get into the likely buyout. Campbell saves them 3.9m on next season’s cap (while hurting future years, but next year is what we’re focused on).

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
giphy - Copy.gif

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Edmonton has >10m in cap space even with the overage and no buyouts. That has to cover Broberg, Holloway, and most of a bottom 6. They have work to do, but they have one more push for sure. Especially when you get into the likely buyout. Campbell saves them 3.9m on next season’s cap (while hurting future years, but next year is what we’re focused on).
Year after that, Bouchard is going to bank it. So yeah, next year they should be all in.

Reactions: henchman21

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
You can make an excellent case for both Bob and Barkov. I'm inclined to think Barkov will win it because that's just what usually happens with the Conn Smythe.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Edmonton has to go all in next year. After that they run into cap issues.

Unfortunately for them I don't think they'll ever see an easier draw in the playoffs than they saw this year. LA was arguably the worst playoff team along with Washington, Vancouver was playing a 3rd string goalie and they barely escaped that, the got an extremely tired Dallas team that played 2 hard series against Vegas and Colorado and they ran out of gas.

I really don't know what they can do to improve their roster, it's been same story for them 3 years in a row. The second a team slows down McDavid and Draisaitl they struggle. Makar/Toews in 22, Vegas team effort in 23 and Florida Barkov/team effort in 24. Don't know how you combat that.

Reactions: Bender

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
That's why it was especially hilarious when Kenny went out and added Henrique at the deadline instead of adding a guy who could play Top-4 minutes on the backend. Talk about not understanding what you have with your roster and it's weaknesses. He's absolutely abysmal as a GM.

I love you Kenny! :heart::laugh:

They can't offload him. People suggest that nurse would be ok if he was only $3M overpaid.. I disagree. Imagine having that guy earning $6M on your cap - that's still more than Forsling on his brand new deal.

"Oh he's bad because he's hurt"... Yeah we heard the same rhetoric when we swept them. He's just a shitty D-Man who is passable as a #4/5 guy as long as he's not asked to do too much.

I said at the beginning of the year last year, the ONLY way to get rid of nurse is if you trade him along with something so valuable so that the other team reluctantly accepts. I suggested they could have moved Drai + Nurse to BOS for a combination of Ulmark + Coyle and the Oilers would still have to retain a lot on Nurse for it to happen.

They are stuck with him.

I don't think they have another push, this was it. They'll need to make a decision on leon and we'll see what that looks like but Connor Brown is going to cost them a beautiful $3.225M against next year's cap because he played over 10 games this season. Great job, Kenny!
they tried to get Tanev but he said no. I doubt Walker would have helped much

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Edmonton has to go all in next year. After that they run into cap issues.

Unfortunately for them I don't think they'll ever see an easier draw in the playoffs than they saw this year. LA was arguably the worst playoff team along with Washington, Vancouver was playing a 3rd string goalie and they barely escaped that, the got an extremely tired Dallas team that played 2 hard series against Vegas and Colorado and they ran out of gas.

I really don't know what they can do to improve their roster, it's been same story for them 3 years in a row. The second a team slows down McDavid and Draisaitl they struggle. Makar/Toews in 22, Vegas team effort in 23 and Florida Barkov/team effort in 24. Don't know how you combat that.

I don't think Edmonton is capable of improving much with the limitations they have.

- McDavid and Drai can't play defense
- Ekholm will be 35 next postseason
- Nurse is an auto loss

Getting swept in the cup final is the closest that core will ever get to a cup IMO.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
You can make an excellent case for both Bob and Barkov. I'm inclined to think Barkov will win it because that's just what usually happens with the Conn Smythe.
I think the major tilt to Bob is what he’s done in the final. Edmonton is actually winning the xGF and by the stats should have nearly 9 goals. Only giving up 4 so far is phenomenal. He flat out stole game 1. Then didn’t give them any hope in game 2. Game 3 he was a wall until Florida could get the lead and held on. He’s the major reason this series is 3-0 instead of 2-1 Florida… arguably 2-1 Edmonton.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
From everything I've seen Bob should be the shoe in for the Smythe. He's been phenomenal all postseason.

I can't even imagine how good the Avs would be with an elite goaltender like that.

lol, Kuemper

So Bob hasn't been that great?

Or in the games the Panthers win Bob has been all world. But the averages get pulled down since he has some stinkers of a game.

Reminds me a bit of Tim Thomas. World beater on the victories. But shat the bed in the other half of the games.

But as long as you win four games a series it all works out

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I think it's obvious 2 way forwards win the cup. We're seeing it this year with Florida. We had Landeskog, Nuke and Lehkonen doing work during our cup run. This year we lost Landeskog Nuke and a Lehkonen with a shoulder injury.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I've only watched the highlights but what a quintessential disasterclass from Nurse on that third goal. It's not every day you see an NHL defensemen get beat by both the guy making the pass and the guy scoring the goal on the one play.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I think it's obvious 2 way forwards win the cup. We're seeing it this year with Florida. We had Landeskog, Nuke and Lehkonen doing work during our cup run. This year we lost Landeskog Nuke and a Lehkonen with a shoulder injury.
I think it's a combo of lots of things, you need some top end talent, you need competent 2 way play from the forwards, you need at least a couple of forwards who can score without the help of the top guys. You need 6 dmen playing their roles well and you need a goalie who gives you a chance to win every night. Doesn't have be shutouts, just give the team a chance.

When we won we had 29, 96 doing their thing. 92, 62, 13 were dominant 2 way players. Kadri and Bura were capable of scoring without the top guys. Then a bunch of role players like JTC, Helm, Cogs, LOC playing their roles well. Defense 8 and 7 dominated, and everyone else did their job. And Darcy and Frank gave us a chance to win basically every game.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad