Series Talk: Stanley Cup Playoffs 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Edmonton is locked into Nurse. No one is going to take six more years of that deal. Even a rebuilding team like Chicago plans to compete before 2030. They don't even have Arizona, AKA the Island of Misfit Contracts, to pay to make him disappear anymore, since apparently Smith wants to actually have a team instead of just an excuse to hold a gambling license.

Reactions: Bender

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The Hall of Fame. If Bob gets it, he becomes a sure thing.
I think goalies getting into the HHOF are a bit funny. As much as I hate(d) Detroit, I can at least admit that Chris Osgood has a lot of Stanley Cups considering he's not in the HHOF. Sure, his stats weren't as stellar as say Patrick Roy's but it isn't the statistical hall of fame, it's the hockey hall of fame and Osgood won a lot of hockey.

Bob though...one Stanley Cup? That's going to get him in? Were his Columbus seasons really that dominate?

I've got no problems with Bob winning the Smyth, I just happen to think the right guy to get it is Carter Verhaeghe. He's a first line Lehkonen, and is clutch as they come.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think goalies getting into the HHOF are a bit funny. As much as I hate(d) Detroit, I can at least admit that Chris Osgood has a lot of Stanley Cups considering he's not in the HHOF. Sure, his stats weren't as stellar as say Patrick Roy's but it isn't the statistical hall of fame, it's the hockey hall of fame and Osgood won a lot of hockey.

Bob though...one Stanley Cup? That's going to get him in? Where his Columbus season's really that dominate?
Roy played in a tough era. His playoff performances are what got him in though. Nobody better then. Osgood was just Crawford. Good enough but not great.

Bob though… 2 Vezina, Cup final run, Cup win, Smythe, World Gold.. this if he wins and gets the Smythe, it completes the resume.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Edmonton has >10m in cap space even with the overage and no buyouts. That has to cover Broberg, Holloway, and most of a bottom 6. They have work to do, but they have one more push for sure. Especially when you get into the likely buyout. Campbell saves them 3.9m on next season’s cap (while hurting future years, but next year is what we’re focused on).

Year after that, Bouchard is going to bank it. So yeah, next year they should be all in.
Oh I don't doubt they'll try but what's the gameplan ?

Sign leon this summer to a contract extension that likely begins with a 12 (possibly and probably more) and then maybe you wanna get Bouchard done early so that's a contract that starts with a 9 with the numbers he's putting up and then they're looking at re-upping #97 to what 15 the year after that ?

#97 - $15
#29 - $12
#2 - $9
#25 - $9.25M :laugh:

That's $45M+ for 4 guys.

My point is that this was their best opportunity to win and I don't see kenny being able to do what's necessary to put this team over the top. Unless he's going to hypnotize Barry Trotz into trading Josi for Nurse AND THEN STILL have to somehow address the goaltending to get an upgrade there, I just don't see how they'll be better next year.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
Edmonton is locked into Nurse. No one is going to take six more years of that deal. Even a rebuilding team like Chicago plans to compete before 2030. They don't even have Arizona, AKA the Island of Misfit Contracts, to pay to make him disappear anymore, since apparently Smith wants to actually have a team instead of just an excuse to hold a gambling license.
Even when they were Arizona, they were more of the island of misfit contract that have significantlly lower dollar amounts than cap hits. Arizona, if they still existed, would never touch Nurse and his 12 million salary next year.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Sign leon this summer to a contract extension that likely begins with a 12 (possibly and probably more) and then maybe you wanna get Bouchard done early so that's a contract that starts with a 9 with the numbers he's putting up and then they're looking at re-upping #97 to what 15 the year after that ?

#97 - $15
#29 - $12
#2 - $9

That's $45M+ for 4 guys.

My point is that this was their best opportunity to win and I don't see kenny being able to do what's necessary to put this team over the top. Unless he's going to hypnotize Barry Trotz into trading Josi for Nurse AND THEN STILL have to somehow address the goaltending to get an upgrade there, I just don't see how they'll be better next year.
The have a year before me those extensions hit, so one more run with some space. It isn’t infrequent that the best team during a window doesn’t actually win a Cup. You’re fooling yourself if you think Edmonton is just going to fold up and be bad next year. The have some cap space to work with and some flexibility to get more. 2 seasons from now will be tough most certainly.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
@The Mars Volchenkov's posting about Evan Rodrigues got me wondering how many former Avalanche players have gone on to win cups, because I couldn't think of any besides him. So I checked.

2021 - Spencer Martin
2020 - Kevin Shattenkirk
2015 - Kyle Cumiskey
2012 - Brad Richardson
2007 - Brad May
2004 - Dave Andreychuk, Nolan Pratt
2000 - Claude Lemieux
1999 - Mike Keane

Not really much to cheer for over the years. Rodrigues is probably the most impactful out of those. He seemed nice enough. Good for him.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
@The Mars Volchenkov's posting about Evan Rodrigues got me wondering how many former Avalanche players have gone on to win cups, because I couldn't think of any besides him. So I checked.

2021 - Spencer Martin
2020 - Kevin Shattenkirk
2015 - Kyle Cumiskey
2012 - Brad Richardson
2007 - Brad May
2000 - Claude Lemieux
1999 - Mike Keane

Not really much to cheer for over the years. Rodrigues is probably the most impactful out of those. He seemed nice enough. Good for him.
Missing ROR.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO

2021 - Spencer Martin
2020 - Kevin Shattenkirk
2015 - Kyle Cumiskey
2012 - Brad Richardson
2007 - Brad May
2000 - Claude Lemieux
1999 - Mike Keane

You know who's not on that list?
Duchene.
1000036380.gif

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Even when they were Arizona, they were more of the island of misfit contract that have significantlly lower dollar amounts than cap hits. Arizona, if they still existed, would never touch Nurse and his 12 million salary next year.
Edmonton's best bet would have been to actually win the Stanley Cup this season so they could trade a Stanley Cup Champion defensemen instead now they are going to be just sort of stuck with a plain old, extremely overpaid, slightly used Darnell Nurse.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022

#97 - $15
#29 - $12
#2 - $9

That's $45M+ for 4 guys.

Buyout Campbell.

Replace Ceci Dehairnais Kulak at the minimum.

Profit?

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado
That Draisaitl elbow was sneaky dirty. I doubt he is suspended. I hope Barkov is alright. Let’s all hope for a sweep.
There was nothing sneaky about that. I still am just ... wtaf? I assume it was a response to the possibly extra strict call on Foegele.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
So the last time a team came back down 0-3 in the finals and won it was when Hitler tried to take over the world?

That’s not good odds for Oilers

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado
I'd hate to think where this board would be if the Avs hadn't won the Cup in 2022 with maybe the best team the NHL has seen in the last 25 years . . .
Nostalgia will be all time in a few years, everyone will finally realize what they had.

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado
Meh, they played who was put in front of them. They didn't pick their route.

We played a dog shit Nashville squad, a Blues squad without their starting goaltender, and an Oilers squad that clearly didn't belong in the WCF before playing a Tampa squad in the SCF which had the most games under their belt the previous 3 seasons. Our route wasn't any more difficult than theirs and some might even say it was easier.
This is true, but also why they only lost four games (and it should have only been three -- or maybe two).

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

2021 - Spencer Martin
2020 - Kevin Shattenkirk
2015 - Kyle Cumiskey
2012 - Brad Richardson
2007 - Brad May
2000 - Claude Lemieux
1999 - Mike Keane

Cumiskey won a cup?

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado
That’s a problem for teams who have couple of big stars like that and think they can win with them without having depth like it’s the NBA. I really thought Edmonton had a chance though, the way they made the finals, but goes to show you how much deeper Florida is.
But ... none of the big scorers had good playoffs this year, did they? I kinda stopped paying attention to stuff (including this board, so my apologies if this has been discussed). Kucherov, Mackinnon, Panarin, Pastrnak, Rantanen, Mcdrai, whoever, it wasn't just one team who suffered from their top scorers going flat.

Reactions: the_fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad