Series Talk: Stanley Cup Playoffs 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
f***ing Edmonton in the finals...
a1c4b5984b1dcacce7e573410eb2e322dcdf2ca5a152ee523d0c0a20b3517aa3_1.jpg

Well, I have confidence in Florida. They just went through some tough goalies, and managed to find ways to win.

Reactions: Bensch88

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Why even care about Oilers winning or not winning the cup? They’re not in central division, they’re not an Avs rival. Is it because of their fans? Who cares. I prefer Florida but wouldn’t shed a tear if Oilers won it. I mean we had one playoff series against them and we swept them. Personally I have no reason to hate them

Last edited:

avalanche_country

Mar 3, 2004
Denver, CO
Why even care about Oilers winning or not winning the cup? They’re not in central division, they’re not an Avs rival. Is it because of their fans? Who cares. I prefer Florida but wouldn’t shed a tear if Oilers won it. I mean we had one playoff series against them and we swept them. Personally I have no reason to hate them

I dont really care either but I prefer canadas drought to continue but whatever.

Oilers did beat the Avs in 98 after being down 3-1 in the series

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida

I will literally shit on my own face if the Oilers win the cup. Don't @ me.

• Haha
Reactions: katfude

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I dont really care either but I prefer canadas drought to continue but whatever.

Oilers did beat the Avs in 98 after being down 3-1 in the series
I don’t even remember that 98 series LOL. I have a lot more hate for Dallas than Oilers. I’m glad they’re not winning it

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't really hate any team beyond the Wild anymore. I'm perfectly content with any other team winning, I just want to see great hockey. Florida is probably the best roster in since the 2020 Lightning and probably top 3/4 in the cap era. McDrai is two elite player and future all time greats who could finally win their first title. There's greatness on either side and I hope it turns into a fantastic 6/7 game series.

Reactions: the_fan

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I dont think the Oilers have a chance against the Panthers... But I was wrong with them against Dallas as well so we'll have to wait and see.

Really, really do not want Edmonton to win though.
I don't mind Edmonton winning. Not sure why our fan base is so negative towards them. I'm good with Florida winning also.

Mostly, I want a good competitive series.

P.S. Rant: Why does the NHL change the scheduling for the Finals, taking most of a week off before the Finals start, then take two days off between games? If this thing goes 7 games, we'll all be sitting there the night before game 7, having watched but 6 hockey games in 21 days.

Reactions: the_fan

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
If Florida wins they get their first cup and I had a near perfect bracket for bragging rights.

Edmonton wins and Canada ends the drought.

Should be a good series - I'm debating going to game 4 but can't convince my oiler fan buddies to join due to cost.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Revolutionizing:
1. Things are done within a system for an amount of time.
2. An individual or group challenges how things are done by doing them differently.
3. What they do differently is successful.
4. The things they do differently can be imitated by others,
5. The amount of people who imitate said individual or group grows to the point where it's normal.

vs.

Enhancing:
1. Things are done within a system for an amount of time.
2. An individual or group takes what is being done and excels at it beyond what others are capable.
3. Others keep playing the same way as the system hasn't been challenged, but rather we have been shown the upper echelon of what the system is capable of.
4. People strive to reach that level.

Bobby Orr changed the game because nobody even thought about playing the position the way he did. He changed how people viewed the position and how it was taught. - "In contrast to the style of hanging-back defensive play common in the later 1950s and 1960s, Orr was known for his fluid skating and end-to-end rushing. Orr's rushing enabled him to be where the puck was, allowing him not only to score effectively but also to defend when necessary."

The Russian Five revolutionized the game because they redefined how hockey was taught in North America, and also changed how North Americans viewed European players. - "the five also changed how hockey was taught in North America, in no small part because of the value they placed on puck possession. In the words of Jim Lites, "Everybody used to dump the puck in and chase it down behind the net. The Russians changed that. They changed our game.""

Wayne Gretzky revolutionized the game because he really changed how people viewed the utilization of the team around him. - ""He was, I think, the first Canadian forward to play a true team game", said hockey writer and former NHL goaltender Ken Dryden. The focus of the game before Gretzky's arrival, he said, especially among the Canadian teams, was on the player with the puck—getting the puck to a star player who would make the big play."

What exactly is McDavid revolutionizing? What is he changing about the current game? It was already trending towards speed and skill before he came along. He's simply the best at it.
Idgaf what people are quoting there. Defensemen didn't play like Bobby Orr post-Orr because they literally couldn't save for Paul Coffey and Serge Savard.

What on earth did Gretzky do that can be emulated by others? Don't say team game - that's literally hockey. If he can be emulated, where are the record challengers/breakers outside of Ovechkin?

McDavid isn't just enhancing it, he is revolutionizing it. Players coming into the league are attempting to do things at the high speeds he does them at.

Reactions: missionAvs

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
One issue the NHL has is their generational players all have had the personality beaten out of them. McDavid will always be a wet blanket, because that is the culture he was brought up in and he was taught to act exactly like that. There's no showmanship, shit talking, quotables, etc. He's just a guy who can do insane things on the ice, where you really have to have played to fully appreciate it. That's not very marketable. Gretzky was also a wet blanket that just happened to marry out of his league. The last ultra elite player with the personality to get casuals in was probably Roy. Maybe you can argue Ovi, but to me he's even a step down in that area.

If the NHL had a player with McDavid's ability and Zegras' brashness and ego, they'd have the right mix to have the greatness along with some divisiveness, hatred and swag. That's how you get a Jordan... the guy who is absolutely better than everybody else, and lets them know it.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
the guy who is absolutely better than everybody else, and lets them know it.
While it's a marketable trait in the US it's mostly frown upon in the rest of the world, including Canada. People like humble champs.

From what I remember Jordan wasn't sold as a cocky player here.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
While it's a marketable trait in the US it's mostly frown upon in the rest of the world, including Canada. People like humble champs.

From what I remember Jordan wasn't sold as a cocky player here.
It isn't about marketing them as a cocky player... but that they play with that style. Anybody who even thought about slighting Jordan, he'd make it his purpose to put them in their place.... and the media just loved that. It blew up his image as larger than life. The NBA has always had this sort. Before Jordan, it was Bird who was about the biggest shit talker and 'I'm better than you' sort of players that has ever existed. That attitude and divisiveness it causes creates conversation. Conversation gets people interested who are not at all interested in the sport. We are seeing it today with Caitlin Clark who is basically the women's version of Larry Bird.

I get it is not hockey culture and that is why these top end players have that beat out of them... but it is limiting factor in their marketability.

And yeah people like humble champs, but they also like guys who can talk and back it up. Just look at how much we all loved Roy. He was one of the biggest characters in the league and was an elite player. Nobody who was a fan of the Habs or Avs hated Roy for being brash and arrogant, they loved that he could back up all of his words and showmanship. Now Boston, New Jersey, and Detroit fans probably feel far different. :laugh:

Reactions: Pokecheque

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
99% of their fans on here are complete gimps with massive inferiority complexes because they got gifted one of the best players of all time because the draft system was changed specifically because they were irredeemably terrible for so long. They're so blinded by McDavid skating fast that they don't realise that other good players exist (see: literally anyone since 2015 saying that hey actually another player is quite good) and they're one of the biggest proponents of the "Bettman tells the refs to favour American teams" nonsense which we had the joy of experiencing first hand. f*** em, their misery's funny.

Reactions: S E P H and the_fan

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Idgaf what people are quoting there. Defensemen didn't play like Bobby Orr post-Orr because they literally couldn't save for Paul Coffey and Serge Savard.

What on earth did Gretzky do that can be emulated by others? Don't say team game - that's literally hockey. If he can be emulated, where are the record challengers/breakers outside of Ovechkin?

McDavid isn't just enhancing it, he is revolutionizing it. Players coming into the league are attempting to do things at the high speeds he does them at.
Mario revolutionized the game by being born bigger than everyone :sarcasm:

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
While I've always known McDavid is a great player, I'll also admit that I've never watched him consistently on a (semi) nightly basis like I have in the '24 SCPs. That dude deserves a Cup, period. I hate Edmonton the team, and I hate the fans, but McDavid is otherwordly. That play he made in Game 5 to go up 1-0 was beyond ridiculous. Pure PlayStation stuff. Yes, he's got the personality of a mop, but that's the way the NHL likes it.

If Florida wins, I'm good with it. They're the best team in the league right now. If Edmonton wins, I'll be happy for McD.

But their fans can go to hell.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
While I've always known McDavid is a great player, I'll also admit that I've never watched him consistently on a (semi) nightly basis like I have in the '24 SCPs. That dude deserves a Cup, period. I hate Edmonton the team, and I hate the fans, but McDavid is otherwordly. That play he made in Game 5 to go up 1-0 was beyond ridiculous. Pure PlayStation stuff. Yes, he's got the personality of a mop, but that's the way the NHL likes it.

If Florida wins, I'm good with it. They're the best team in the league right now. If Edmonton wins, I'll be happy for McD.

But their fans can go to hell.
Rich of a Buff complaining about fans. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad