Series Talk: Stanley Cup Playoffs 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Well he’s a freak of nature and probably the most talented player the league has seen in decades. So I think he deserves it.
I never questioned his talent level, only pointing out how over-the-top the media treats him, regardless of the fact that up to this point he hasn't won anything other than individual accolades at the NHL level. So to that point, no, I don't think he necessarily deserves all of it. It's a bit over the top, imo.

Reactions: Alienblood

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I never questioned his talent level, only pointing out how over-the-top the media treats him, regardless of the fact that up to this point he hasn't won anything other than individual accolades at the NHL level. So to that point, no, I don't think he necessarily deserves all of it. It's a bit over the top, imo.
I'm with TMV on this. McDavid is the best player since Mario and Gretzky. He absolutely should be hyped and promoted. The fact that he's in Edmonton instead LA or New York actually probably keeps his hype down compared to where it should really be. He's not a Jordan talent... but he's a Bird/Magic/Montana/Griffey/etc realm and deserves that.

The NHL is different than many sports... it isn't a one or two good players, get a title league. The NBA you can win with two elite players. The NFL is basically get a QB, WR, and pass rusher. It takes a team. Just take Bourque. Dude is probably the 3rd best defensemen of all time. He had all sorts of individual accomplishments and only Lidstrom can match his longevity at an insane level. Yet it took him his whole career to win a title. Like McDavid, he was 27 when he first went to the finals. None of that changes that Bourque is one of the greatest to ever play.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
The most off-putting thing about McDavid to me is not the media, its the fans. He's amazing. He's a joy to watch. He's clearly a cut above most of the rest of the league. But the cock gobbling and proclamation about him being the greatest thing to ever happen to hockey is too much to bear.

Reactions: S E P H and McMetal

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I'm with TMV on this. McDavid is the best player since Mario and Gretzky. He absolutely should be hyped and promoted. The fact that he's in Edmonton instead LA or New York actually probably keeps his hype down compared to where it should really be. He's not a Jordan talent... but he's a Bird/Magic/Montana/Griffey/etc realm and deserves that.

The NHL is different than many sports... it isn't a one or two good players, get a title league. The NBA you can win with two elite players. The NFL is basically get a QB, WR, and pass rusher. It takes a team. Just take Bourque. Dude is probably the 3rd best defensemen of all time. He had all sorts of individual accomplishments and only Lidstrom can match his longevity at an insane level. Yet it took him his whole career to win a title. Like McDavid, he was 27 when he first went to the finals. None of that changes that Bourque is one of the greatest to ever play.
Again, I'm not commenting on his talent level, as that is not--and never has been--in question.

Neither responses were really addressing my original post, which is that I believe he's gotten too much discussion in today's NHL media. The response being about his talent level, somehow insinuating that I don't believe he's the best player in the game right now, is not really anything other than an attempt at a strawman.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Honestly, the NHL doesn't do nearly enough to market McDavid. Or the rest of their stars for that matter. The entire way the NHL markets itself is just plain dumb.

I've no problem with McDavid winning the Cup, if anything it takes some real managerial incompetence NOT to win the Cup with a talent of that caliber on your roster (and we most certainly saw just that under Chiarelli). I have a problem with Evander Kane getting his name on the Cup because he's a horrible human being, but I won't lose any sleep over that.

I do take some smug satisfaction knowing Jamie Benn and Joe Pavelski got denied for another year. DeBoer too. On the other side I'm glad that moronic headhunter who everyone thinks is this great leader also got denied.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

With Bourque it was because he remained loyal to one of the most notorious cheapskate owners in the NHL. Jacobs regularly just let talent walk year in, year out. That B's team that made the 1990 Cup Final was the best defensive team in hockey but it's a small miracle they made it that far. Beyond primer-era Ray and Seabass there ain't a whole lot there (Janney was underrated IMO but not an elite-level talent).

But anyway your point still stands. Can't get it done with just one or even two superstars. Have to build an actual team around them.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
One thing I don’t get is why is the finals starts so late. We have to wait until Saturday for it

Reactions: The Moops

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Again, I'm not commenting on his talent level, as that is not--and never has been--in question.

Neither responses were really addressing my original post, which is that I believe he's gotten too much discussion in today's NHL media. The response being about his talent level, somehow insinuating that I don't believe he's the best player in the game right now, is not really anything other than an attempt at a strawman.
I'm not insinuating that you are saying that the isn't the best player in the game. I'm saying that if he was in a bigger American market, he'd be getting a lot more hype. He's a clear greatest of his generation talent stuck on a team in the middle of nowhere. If anything, he should be honestly getting MORE discussion in the media. The fact that he isn't shows how poorly the NHL markets their stars.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I think some of what keeps the McDavid talk a bit less than what some would assume is simply because of the time zone. The majority of the league is in bed by the time the puck drops on west coast games. It's just the nature of the beast. No team or player in the west will garner media attention like a team or player in the east could.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think some of what keeps the McDavid talk a bit less than what some would assume is simply because of the time zone. The majority of the league is in bed by the time the puck drops on west coast games. It's just the nature of the beast. No team or player in the west will garner media attention like a team or player in the east could.
California is an exception, especially LA. The market and all the situation around it (including time zone) is a big deal.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Edmonton is better than Florida. This is the first real challenge for Edmonton. McDavid isn't going to out up 15 assists with his eyes closed. But Edmonton is winning in 6 games max.

Reactions: Alienblood

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
It’s literally 50/50 Florida vs Oilers

I don’t see an edge for one of this teams vs the other

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It’s literally 50/50 Florida vs Oilers

I don’t see an edge for one of this teams vs the other
I mean there’s a clear edge in depth for Florida. McDrai could offset that, but it would have to be huge series’ from them to do that.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It wasn't that long ago ...

QSsYWQK.png

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Dallas was supposed to have clear edge in depth also vs the Oilers
Sure. But Dallas doesn’t also have any one nearly as talented as Barkov or Tkachuk on their roster. They have ~equal depth and better top end talent than Dallas does.

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Sure. But Dallas doesn’t also have any one nearly as talented as Barkov or Tkachuk on their roster. They have ~equal depth and better top end talent than Dallas does.
That’s true. The biggest advantage would be Barkov possibly have the ability to shut McDavid down which Dallas didn’t have

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
IMO Florida has better depth than Dallas. They don't have the big names or numbers... but guys like Ludell, Luostarinen, Mikkola, Kulikov, OEL etc would be in much bigger roles elsewhere. Tank has been on their third line pretty consistently. To me, Florida is the best team in the league by a good margin. It probably won't hold over the summer when they lose some guys... but that team is filled to brim with great hockey players. They have it all... high end talent, grit, defense, team concepts, coaching, goaltending... just an incredibly well rounded and deep hockey team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad