Series Talk: Stanley Cup Playoffs 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Would’ve preferred the Oilers to the Rangers (and did prefer them Dallas). If we have to see to see them win well at least we can stop hearing about the ‘it’s been 31 years since a Canadian team last won a Cup’ which has been insufferable to listen to. Really hoping for a Cats win though. I want all the unhinged boomer takes about another sunbelt team beating a Canadian one

• Haha
Reactions: AvalancheSpeedsters

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Still think the playoff format should go back to 1-8 instead of what we have now
This really needs to happen. I hate this playoffs system. Too many great teams have been eliminated early because of that system and it sometimes makes a lesser product in later rounds. I know you have to beat great teams to win a Cup so it shouldn't matter which rounds you play them but it does. Dallas was clearly more tired than the Oilers after playing Vegas and Avs. If they had played one easier team on the way to the WCF maybe they would have won against the Oilers or maybe the Oilers would not have made it there. Who knows?

Another issues that this system brings that I do not like is false narratives that "insert team name" cannot get out of the 1st or 2nd round. Sometimes they are good enough but they meet another great team too early. It gives the impression that the team didn't take a step forward when in reality they did but still not enough to beat the other great team.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Florida should be pretty happy with their cup final competition here, reminds me so much of Tampa getting the two Cinderellas in Montreal/Dallas to win their cups. Edmonton had an easy Pacific bracket then an exhausted Dallas team.

I'll be shocked if Edmonton wins three games in this series. Florida is finally getting their cup. Let the rats fly.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Again, did I say they were sure to be worse? All I have said is I believe Colorado can beat them with a healthy roster that doesn't succumb to the most random of absences like a sliced knee or a cocaine addict.

Team can be built around those guys all they want, fact is Hintz gets hurt basically every year, Robertson was disappointing in the playoffs, and Harley was behind Lindell/Tanev in terms of responsibilities.

We can talk all we want about continuous progress - it's not always continuous. For all we know Stankoven/Harley/Bourque run into a wall next season and all of a sudden Dallas is relying on Johnston/Heiskanen + an older group of skaters.

Colorado has the three best players on either team, or three of the four if you think Heiskanen > Rantanen. Let's see how the rest of Colorado's roster looks before we anoint Dallas the big bad boogeymen like everyone did for Vegas this past season.

I think it is implied and probably our significant difference. To me, it was very clear the Stars were better than the Avs this year. Both teams lost important pieces in the series in Hintz and Nuke. You push Hintz's injury that it happens every year and should be assumed to happen. While Nuke's coke issues are discounted and shouldn't be assumed to happen.

The way I see it, the Stars were simply better than the Avs this season. This series showed that pretty clearly IMO. Now as we are making forward looking statements here, the cap situation all but guarantees the Avs are taking a step back. Nuke is probably the sacrificial limb, but if it isn't him, it'll be some other high dollar player. Beyond Nuke though, the Avs have their own depth issues to work through. From Landy questions to losing Drouin/Walker to losing leadership.

I simply don't see how the Avs really improve over the summer. Any outcome is likely a team that is a step or two back from this year's team that was clearly worse than the Stars already. So my deduction is for the Avs to be clearly the better team when healthy, the Stars have to take a large step back.

Development clearly isn't linear, and the Stars have their own challenges next year. Johnston could stagnate or struggle as he takes on a bigger role. He could also blossom into the 40g-50a high end two way guy he looks like. I'm not saying the Stars are the best team, but they are a notch above currently and face less challenges this summer. That's not zero challenges, but less. Their path to sustaining is a lot clearer than the Avs.

I think Miro is better than Rants, but even with that, having the top players is no guarantee to being the top team. Edmonton has had 2 of the top 5 players for the last 6-7 years and this is the year they finally found success. Vegas, Washington, and St Louis won Cups without elite players (Ovi is the only one and I think he was out of the top 5 and probably out of the top 10). As much as I like Barkov, I don't think he is a top 10 player (nor is Cheese). You can build a winner without the very elite players. It clearly helps to have elite players, but you need certain positions to be held and if you don't have an elite player, you need depth (arguably need depth anyway).

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Guess the little pissy card DeBoer played like he always does didn’t work this time.

I’m a tad surprised, I really thought the Stars would straight-up railroad this Oilers squad but they obviously didnt. In the end they still don’t have that gamebreaking talent.
I will say the Oilers team defense is pretty underrated as a whole. Now obviously due to their personnel(Nurse, Ceci, Drai) they’re definitely prone to some gaffes here and there, but statistically they’ve been good defensively and have made life pretty easy on their goalies most of the year.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Bob disappears in the Finals again and Edmonton wins easy.
Bob has not been that great this postseason. He's been very timely and coming up with the saves needed and the big game when needed... but overall he's been pretty average. Working against that is simply he was phenomenal the last 3 games vs New York. Probably his 3 best games in the playoffs (game 5 vs Tampa is the only real competitor IMO).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I will say the Oilers team defense is pretty underrated as a whole. Now obviously due to their personnel(Nurse, Ceci, Drai) they’re definitely prone to some gaffes here and there, but statistically they’ve been good defensively and have made life pretty easy on their goalies most of the year.
Yup... they've bought into team defense and they have a bottom 6 that is quite solid in that area. They are mistake prone, but if they simply limit those, they tend to have a chance.

Now I don't think Edmonton has the horses here. The Panthers are a highly skilled team that can also just beat you to a pulp. They have the best defensive center and defensemen in the game... but even down the lineup, they have some fantastic players on that end of the ice. They should have little issue in containing the OIlers' offense while at the same time, their physical pressure should force Edmonton into mistakes. IMO unless Skinner stands on his head for 6 games, I don't think Edmonton really has a shot. This series probably goes to 6, but I can't imagine it being that close.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yup... they've bought into team defense and they have a bottom 6 that is quite solid in that area. They are mistake prone, but if they simply limit those, they tend to have a chance.

Now I don't think Edmonton has the horses here. The Panthers are a highly skilled team that can also just beat you to a pulp. They have the best defensive center and defensemen in the game... but even down the lineup, they have some fantastic players on that end of the ice. They should have little issue in containing the OIlers' offense while at the same time, their physical pressure should force Edmonton into mistakes. IMO unless Skinner stands on his head for 6 games, I don't think Edmonton really has a shot. This series probably goes to 6, but I can't imagine it being that close.
Overall I’d agree. But with McDrai you just never now. Both are capable of putting up ~15pts in a 7 game series. Floridas clearly the favorite here though, their forward core especially is ridiculous.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Overall I’d agree. But with McDrai you just never now. Both are capable of putting up 15-20pts in a 7 game series. Floridas clearly the favorite here though, their forward core especially is ridiculous.
I personally think if both don't crest 12-14 points, they simply won't win this series. It might take them both hitting that level to even out the difference. It is in the realm of possibility, but I don't think it is very likely.

IMO Edmonton's chances lie on the shoulders of Skinner. He needs to be a .925++ goalie in pretty much every game and Edmonton will probably still lose a couple of those games. More than that, Skinner needs to be absurdly good in the third.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
I prefer the Panthers to win but I won’t be upset if Edmonton wins. I’m just glad a DeBoer team choked again.
Agreed. Screw that guy. His face constantly looks like he just ate a soft boiled egg that he realized at the last second might have been rotten.

• Haha
Reactions: Chiarelli

RECKLESS

Apr 23, 2019
That goal by McDavid. That was a big moment and an awesome addition to his legacy. Career highlight. Kudos, but now I just want Sasha to shut him down.

Also must be tough for Miro to go out like that after being so awesome the whole playoffs.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think what we're going to see is either a repeat of the 2006 Final where the Edmonton Oilers win a close and hard-fought series which they probably win if Roloson doesn't get injured. Or we're going to see a repeat of the 2007 Final where the Ottawa Senators had no right to be in that final and got killed by the Anaheim Ducks. Those are my predictions.

Considering the issues the Oilers have when you disregard McDavid or Draisaitl and considering the Panthers got to the finals and lost, and know that experience, I would suspect it will be the 2007 series, but McDavid/Draisaitl can win games on their own and they're playing a goaler who doesn't have the mental fortitude that Oettinger has. The only thing going for Bobrovsky is that he's more athletic and faster to make big saves that Jake doesn't really have. I am more worried about that match-up compared to anything else because the Panthers forecheque should destroy the Oilers defensive core.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Jeez, lot of Oiler hate in this thread. Are their fans that bad?
giphy.gif

And if they win the cup, they will be orders of magnitude more insufferable.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Oilers fans think they are better people because they have McDavid. Like literally they must put Oiler fan - we have McDavid on their job resumes and dating profilws

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad