Series Talk: Stanley Cup Playoffs 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Woah woah woah. How did we go from @dahrougem2 wanting the Oilers to win this series because Dallas plays terribly boring hockey to calling the Oilers his team?
I never called them my team, but why discredit them? I HATE when people try to discredit our cup win. You play who is in front of you. You can't pick who you want.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Woah woah woah. How did we go from @dahrougem2 wanting the Oilers to win this series because Dallas plays terribly boring hockey to calling the Oilers his team?

He, like me, has seen the light.

In all seriousness, it’s Avs over everyone for me and that won’t change but seeing the hometown team go on a run is fun. The vibes are good as a result.

And yes, before someone else says it, it’s not like there’s much else to do in freakin Edmonton. Give me June hockey if it can’t be the Avs. I hope they win.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It's just strange to me how you want to take this away from them based off 1 game and a supposed "easy" run to the SCF where they had to play the two top teams in the West.
Dallas is a top team, I agree, but again, when you can't score more than one goal while also tripling the shot count, your team has serious flaws. Oilers didn't win that game, Dallas lost it and you can make a good argument they lost game 5 as well by not showing up.

Not going to touch the Canucks as a top team one because as we see in the MLB and NFL, a rubbish team has to win horrible divisions. The Pacific once again was the worst division in hockey and it has been that way for the past 5-6 seasons. Does that mean Canucks truly suck? No it doesn't, but it also means they were pretenders, remember how many games they had under 20 shots this postseason? Like eight of them, especially in a critical game 7!

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
I never called them my team, but why discredit them? I HATE when people try to discredit our cup win. You play who is in front of you. You can't pick who you want.
I completely agree with you. That’s why it’s endlessly bizarre to me that it’s somehow being turned into you being an Oilers fan instead of just telling the truth about how this series went

Edit: It would’ve been much clearer if I’d actually quoted the post it was in reference to. I can see how that was confusing

Reactions: dahrougem2

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Guess the little pissy card DeBoer played like he always does didn’t work this time.

I’m a tad surprised, I really thought the Stars would straight-up railroad this Oilers squad but they obviously didnt. In the end they still don’t have that gamebreaking talent.

Reactions: dahrougem2

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Remember when Robertson was in a tight race with McDavid for the rocket for half the season last year? He had almost as many shots as the Oilers tonight and couldn’t score. He’s a guy the Stars needed to step up instead of relying on a bunch of 32+ players and a second year Johnston and rookie Stankoven

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Taking my hate and petty hat off for a moment to say Dallas might be even better next year with some of those young players coming up and continuing to get better. No chance Hintz was healthy either.

Reactions: Nihiliste

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I can’t even predict who’s winning the cup. I’ve underestimated the Oilers badly and legitimately thought Stars might actually sweep them. Never thought the Oilers can defend the way they did against Dallas. I’m cheering for Florida but won’t be surprised if Oilers win it

Reactions: GeoRox89

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Taking my hate and petty hat off for a moment to say Dallas might be even better next year with some of those young players coming up and continuing to get better. No chance Hintz was healthy either.
Maybe, but Benn/Seguin/Lindell all a year older, Tanev likely gone, Duchene who gives a f*** but if he leaves that's another loss, Pavelski is cooked, Hintz gets hurt EVERY year.

A healthy Avs team takes Dallas. They just haven't been healthy the last two series.

Reactions: the_fan

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
I think Dallas beating the Avs clouded your judgment. The Avs are on the low end for playoff teams which made Dallas look like a super team.

Dallas is extremely average once you get passed the pretends (like Nashville, Washington, Colorado). I said it before the series started that Edmonton was taking this is 4.

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
It’s crazy how often a quality team underperforms, has a coach fired mid year and goes onto win the Cup - Pens (twice), Kings, Blues and now maybe the Oilers

wayninja

Win it for Val
Mar 24, 2017
Gotta feel bad for Duchene, DeBoer and Benn
cdb4718c-f404-449a-afbb-47b96fe4adf0_text.gif

Reactions: Murzu and GeoRox89

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
WTF did we give up so many goals against this team? Dallas can't score for shit.
Because the Avs are usually their own worst enemy. A lot of the goals scored against are self-inflicted, whereas Edmonton didn't usually serve up dangerous chances on a silver platter to the Stars. Also, Edmonton players could actually pass. The Avs were horrible at both giving and receiving passes.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Maybe, but Benn/Seguin/Lindell all a year older, Tanev likely gone, Duchene who gives a f*** but if he leaves that's another loss, Pavelski is cooked, Hintz gets hurt EVERY year.

A healthy Avs team takes Dallas. They just haven't been healthy the last two series.
Hintz gets hurt every year, but if Avs are healthy they win. Are the Avs ever healthy?

Stars were the much better team in the series. Avs are likely to lose just as on ice impact and also age a year… with nobody really there to take a step forward. While Dallas has two guys ready to take the step to stardom and the AHL MVP to step into the lineup. They may not be better… but they have a much clearer path to taking a step forward compared to the Avs.

Reactions: Nihiliste

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
All those problems, were problems in the regular season. That's what makes it so frustrating concerning the coaching staff and why they deserve an immense amount of the blame. Nuke is an amazing player no doubt, but you're not going to win too many games when he's your best player most nights. It is inexcuseable for MacKinnon and Makar as they should be our best players, but I also understand considering how much they were overplayed.
Have to agree with this. In the end, the Oilers best players came to play and didn't get bullied by the Stars players.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Hintz gets hurt every year, but if Avs are healthy they win. Are the Avs ever healthy?

Stars were the much better team in the series. Avs are likely to lose just as on ice impact and also age a year… with nobody really there to take a step forward. While Dallas has two guys ready to take the step to stardom and the AHL MVP to step into the lineup. They may not be better… but they have a much clearer path to taking a step forward compared to the Avs.
There's a difference between the Avs needing a 3rd string goalie and having a knee sliced open by a skate in one series, and a coke addict in the other series, to Hintz having some type of upper/lower body injury every single season.

Nobody said Dallas wasn't better this series, but call me skeptical on them somehow being better next year. Guys take steps forward, guys take steps back. Give me our core over theirs, then let's see how the rest of the rosters shake out.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
There's a difference between the Avs needing a 3rd string goalie and having a knee sliced open by a skate in one series, and a coke addict in the other series, to Hintz having some type of upper/lower body injury every single season.

Nobody said Dallas wasn't better this series, but call me skeptical on them somehow being better next year. Guys take steps forward, guys take steps back. Give me our core over theirs, then let's see how the rest of the rosters shake out.
Avs have had other guys injured too. It’s pretty consistent. That coke head is likely gone for nothing too. The Stars have won and this year it wasn’t really that close. Sometimes you have to simply top your cap.

Dallas has youth coming up. A few guys who should continue to improve and get better. Even a couple guys not established yet. They have more room to grow. Where the Avs are unlikely to grow. Along with that, the Avs roster outside the core likely will be getting worse by a decent margin. Stars are losing Duchene and Tanev (though I see one of the two coming back cheap). With a decent amount of cap to figure that out. Their path is clearer than the Avs by a decent amount.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
I can’t even predict who’s winning the cup. I’ve underestimated the Oilers badly and legitimately thought Stars might actually sweep them. Never thought the Oilers can defend the way they did against Dallas. I’m cheering for Florida but won’t be surprised if Oilers win it
Embarrassing that the Oilers are in the finals

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Avs finally having a 2C and a 2nd line should also make a huge difference next year. And I don't think George can be as bad next year as well at least I hope not.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Avs have had other guys injured too. It’s pretty consistent. That coke head is likely gone for nothing too. The Stars have won and this year it wasn’t really that close. Sometimes you have to simply top your cap.

Dallas has youth coming up. A few guys who should continue to improve and get better. Even a couple guys not established yet. They have more room to grow. Where the Avs are unlikely to grow. Along with that, the Avs roster outside the core likely will be getting worse by a decent margin. Stars are losing Duchene and Tanev (though I see one of the two coming back cheap). With a decent amount of cap to figure that out. Their path is clearer than the Avs by a decent amount.
We'll agree to disagree but we've been doing that re: Avs window for quite a while. I see things differently, guess we'll find out next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad