Stanley Cup Finals: (WC2) Florida Panthers vs (P1) Vegas Golden Knights | VGK Lead 3-1

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
As a person who lives in Vegas and plays hockey here. I was told MANY times to play a real sport, that hockey is “f*gs” and that I played a sport for racists

And everyone of the people who said that now have a VGK license plate. So I can relate to you and that’s precisely why I’m rooting against them. I find them to be a likable team, but can’t root alongside these people
The biggest, or at least loudest knights fans around were probably the most hateful towards hockey prior to the Knights.

Reactions: Sombastate

53or8

Nov 20, 2016
You just had to look harder, bubba.

There were literally thousands of us supporting the Wranglers, making it a great ECHL city. Even more of us back in the Thunder days.

If you're mad there's so many more fans now than when the Thunder or Wranglers were in town, I guess, I dunno...pro sports versus sports people in general don't care about, and hockey applies.

When it comes to bars, they'll play the shit people wanted to see, and if you let them know you wanted to see hockey, they'd put it on. There was a deep Vegas hockey core, and it's just gone parabolic since the Knights arrived. It's to be expected, but you can't hold the ECHL city to NHL standards when it comes to support and think that's normal. It's a new market, there's going to be new fans. That's a good thing.
It was pretty bumping when I was in vegas and game one of the second round was playing in a non sports bar on the strip (ocean one) kinda surprised when people were cheering.

I also went to a game during the first season most if not all of the people were really into it including a father and young son who sat beside me.

Reactions: WhataKnight

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Difference is the sharks have endured the hardships in the past. Fans came out to the old cow palace in droves in the first few years even when they won a whopping 11 games in 92-93. I can sympathize with a struggling fanbase primarily because they know what the struggle feels like. Some stick around, others don’t. I can’t take any fanbase seriously though until they’ve experienced the lows and not just the highs. That’s why people rant about how it’s not fair because “the team hasn’t struggled”. It’s not even about the team, because all players at some point whether in the nhl or below have learned to respect the game with dignity because sometimes it sucks and it’s hard.
I guess, but when you take it down to first principles, and this isn't a troll or trying to make a hit or anything, but isn't that just jealousy when it really comes down to it?

Vegas will hit some shit, probably soon, but everything you think is going to happen to the fanbase is in your head.

Reactions: Pia8988

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
He's the prohibitive favorite for the Conn Smythe at the moment
I think the Conn Smythe race is very interesting atm. Panthers have 2 frontrunners (tkachuk and Bobrovsky) and Vegas has 3 (Marchessault, Eichel, Hill)

The thing is though, I'm not sure Hill is THE frontrunner. There's at least 1 game left and potentially a few more. Atm, statistically speaking he definitely should be up there, but I think it's fair to say he's been largely unknown until this postseason. As unfair as it is, I'm not sure he's a big enough name or has the reputation to win the Smythe.

When was the last time a Conn Smythe winner was a career backup goaltender only starting to finally get the limelight in his late 20s?

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Sorry for your experience, but not all of "those people" are "these people." If you allow the few to color your opinion of the many, are you doing better than they were?

It's good to have dreams.

Of course not. But as a fairly popular musician/dj in this city I have 100s of examples.

The difference is that I was called a “f*g” for simply playing a sport and I’m merely rooting against a hockey team because I don’t want to root alongside those specific people. I’d say those are vastly different sides of the spectrum and that, yeah, I’m clearly doing better than them.

I didn’t say the whole fan base, my “those people” were those people.

You? Knowledgeable, hockey loving, seem to be a nice enough human. I’ll be happy for you and the other people who fall into your column

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I guess, but when you take it down to first principles, and this isn't a troll or trying to make a hit or anything, but isn't that just jealousy when it really comes down to it?

Vegas will hit some shit, probably soon, but everything you think is going to happen to the fanbase is in your head.
Jealousy? As I’ve explained, maybe but not the way you would think. As I’ve said, the crap I’ve endured both as a hockey fan prior to the team and as a sharks fan, to me, warrants a valid reason to loathe the idea of this fanbase enjoying the top of the mountain.

As am I. Every day is a gift.
I meant the boards. You got way too existential.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I think the Conn Smythe race is very interesting atm. Panthers have 2 frontrunners (tkachuk and Bobrovsky) and Vegas has 3 (Marchessault, Eichel, Hill)

The thing is though, I'm not sure Hill is THE frontrunner. There's at least 1 game left and potentially a few more. Atm, statistically speaking he definitely should be up there, but I think it's fair to say he's been largely unknown until this postseason. As unfair as it is, I'm not sure he's a big enough name or has the reputation to win the Smythe.

When was the last time a Conn Smythe winner was a career backup goaltender only starting to finally get the limelight in his late 20s?

I'm curious what other Vegas fans think.
Marchessault has a 9 game point streak and his assist on one of those goals tonight was a thing of beauty. Vegas is very balanced so not one skater stands head and shoulders above but Hill has been consistent, made timely saves has risen to the moment

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Jealousy? As I’ve explained, maybe but not the way you would think. As I’ve said, the crap I’ve endured both as a hockey fan prior to the team and as a sharks fan, to me, warrants a valid reason to loathe the idea of this fanbase enjoying the top of the mountain.

I meant the boards. You got way too existential.
Well, as a person that's argued on the internet as a solid Vegas hockey fan for three decades and getting shit on for about 20 of those years when I said Vegas could be a hockey town, I'm pretty happy with how it's going and feel like we've earned it overall.

Maybe not the people you're mad at, but there's a lot of Vegas people like me that don't really see things the way you do, and that's okay. You just entered the whole decades-long discussion at a different point.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Marchessault has a 9 game point streak and his assist on one of those goals tonight was a thing of beauty. Vegas is very balanced so not one skater stands head and shoulders above but Hill has been consistent, made timely saves has risen to the moment
Agreed.

I think it'd be very cool to see Hill win the Conn Smythe if Vegas wins the Stanley Cup.

Would definitely go down as one of the most unexpected Conn Smythe winners in the last few decades. Heck, that'd be the case even for Marchessault.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Well, as a person that's argued on the internet as a solid Vegas hockey fan for three decades and getting shit on for about 20 of those years when I said Vegas could be a hockey town, I'm pretty happy with how it's going and feel like we've earned it overall.

Maybe not the people you're mad at, but there's a lot of Vegas people like me that don't really see things the way you do, and that's okay. You just entered the whole decades-long discussion at a different point.
Well, as I’ve said, it’s easy when things are going well.

Reactions: BattleBorn

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York
Oh No muh kitty-rinnos
K1.png

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
Hockey is just entertainment and not some psuedo-religious calling. If one takes any entertainment too seriously, they should detach and find something else. Casual fans are who primarily pay for this entertainment and keep it alive, not the relatively few hardcore purists. Being a purist doesn't make them anything like a superior fan, no matter how much they would like to believe the contrary. At the end of the day, all credit cards clear equally.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Hockey is just entertainment and not some psuedo-religious calling. If one takes any entertainment too seriously, they should detach and find something else. Casual fans are who primarily pay for this entertainment and keep it alive, not the relatively few hardcore purists. Being a purist doesn't make them anything like a superior fan, no matter how much they would like to believe the contrary. At the end of the day, all credit cards clear equally.
Spoken like a true bandwagonner. Please surrender your Canadian passport immediately!

Also it is clear that you, Sir, DO NOT know the way to San Jose. Think on your sins.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Not my ex-wife's

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
What are you 12?

Lol, someone talked some shit to you years ago and now you're mad at everyone on the internet. Jesus this is some funny shit. :laugh:
Because I hope he’s still around on the boards when the team struggles?

No trips to Arizona or Florida when they struggle(d) to fill the building in down years? Or just too expensive?
Arizona is a trainwreck that shouldn’t have a team. That’s pretty unanimous, no?

I also don’t have a lot of love for Florida, but they’re probably an accurate comparison in terms of what to expect when things are rough. Godforbid this city gets a basketball team before that happens.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Because I hope he’s still around on the boards when the team struggles?

Arizona is a trainwreck that shouldn’t have a team. That’s pretty unanimous, no?

I also don’t have a lot of love for Florida, but they’re probably an accurate comparison in terms of what to expect when things are rough. Godforbid this city gets a basketball team before that happens.
I think I just realized what we're going for here.

It's awesome that you're here right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad