Speculation: Stammergeddon 2024: Is Stamkos going to re-sign with the Lightning?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is Stamkos going to resign with the lightning?

• Yes

Votes: 37 58.7%
  • No

Votes: 26 41.3%

• Total voters

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Ya and with Stamkos gone our power play is dead teams Will shut down Kucherov and block out point in the bumper spot .

Correct we know JBB will flop bringing in another sheary 2.0 to replace Stamkos with no money. When we have no trade assets to replace Stamkos and get a top 6 forward also . Good luck replacing 40 goals with the bottom feed players JBB will bring in .
We don't know anything of the sort. JBB hasn't made us privy to his course over the next few days, and as usual, he is playing things close to the vest in terms of potential acquisitions. Every GM signs a dud ufa now and then, so just because Sheary has been a bust doesn't equate to his adds this summer being so as well.

Reactions: DMB06

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
And since very little to anything leaks from Tampa, LeBrun can say what he wants, but I doubt he has any source within the Bolts organization feeding him that.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
What a joke jeannot and sheary should be gone

He got it directly from the stamkos camp and I don’t blame the stamkos camp for leaking this information they low balled him
Which again, may or may not be accurate. They could have said that to try and add pressure on JBB to cave, who knows. The point remains that JBB has a plan for the team next year, and just because he doesn't share it means little. I also very highly doubt that if Stamkos does leave, he doesn't have moves in place for that scenario. Until we see how it transpires over the next several days, I won't be acting like the majority on here who are resorting to some hysterical sky is falling takes based on circumspect evidence at best

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
Nothing? Something? Where you getting a franchise Captain that had 81 points last yr?

JBB is on a roll! Jeannot, Sheary, Dumba, Duke...can't wait to see what corpse he drags in next.

GMAFB

We're not, but not getting that doesn't mean we got "nothing". If he's not re-signed we have to wait and see how the rest of the offseason goes before saying it didn't work out.

Honestly, what he does next season is almost irrelevant, what kind of player is he going to be three seasons from now, or four? That's what JBB is looking at, clearly. Three years from now if he's a 12 mpg player, struggling to hit 40 pts, letting him go is going to seem like a good decision.

This team needs better goaltending, much better defense, and better depth. If JBB brings in a couple of Goodrow/Coleman type of players, combined with the addition of Mac.....I think that makes us a better team than last season.

It's impossible to even talk really because there are so many variables. How is Vasy going to play? Because if it's like the past two seasons it almost doesn't matter who we bring in or let go. Who does JBB have his eyes on in FA and trade market? Just no way of knowing these things until they happen.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
You guys can't just say the annual amount and act like that's the contract. 8x3=24m.

Yes it's low, but 5x5=25m. Would you be crying as loudly? If he plays 5 years @ 3m per and gets the rest on LTIR and it's 24M that's only 1m less total than 5x5.

I also want them to get the deal done. Maybe 3.75 x 7 = 26.25m or 4m x 6y = 24m or even 4m x 7 = 28m.

I do agree those seem like very team friendly deals and JBB needs to bridge the gap.

Just remember we asked for it when we're carrying dead cap for 2-5 years at age 37, 38 etc whatever when his body can't keep up.

I mentioned something similar earlier. My guess is it's like the Killorn situation where we want him back but and were close on dollars but not term. We wanted to pay him 25M over 7 to 8 years and Anaheim was willing to do it in 4. We probably are fine paying Stamkos 25-30M but over 8 years not 5 or 6.

BriseBois can't cave to Stamkos and give him a huge AAV because he's going to have to do it again next summer with Hedman. And BriseBois probably values Hedman higher and rightfully so. If he gives Stamkos too much this summer it makes paying Hedman and Jeannot next summer that much harder.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I mentioned something similar earlier. My guess is it's like the Killorn situation where we want him back but and were close on dollars but not term. We wanted to pay him 25M over 7 to 8 years and Anaheim was willing to do it in 4. We probably are fine paying Stamkos 25-30M but over 8 years not 5 or 6.

BriseBois can't cave to Stamkos and give him a huge AAV because he's going to have to do it again next summer with Hedman. And BriseBois probably values Hedman higher and rightfully so. If he gives Stamkos too much this summer it makes paying Hedman and Jeannot next summer that much harder.

Yeah Hedman's going to ask for 6 and we'll let him walk on a hard 4

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
There it is through a reliable source, no cap space will be made.

Like last offseason JBB continues to act like he’s completely helpless to our cap situation, f*** you dude.

4m could potentially keep him too. Horrible

Reactions: The Gongshow

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Sheary and Jeannot are a moot point, JBB could have retention on McDonagh if he wanted to keep Stamkos in the fold. Inexcusable to make that deal if you aren’t willing to budge off of 3m. He is not wanted back

Reactions: Coopers Gum

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
Wouldn't the GM need Viniks approval to let the face of the franchise and captain walk?
Sheary and Jeannot are a moot point, JBB could have retention on McDonagh if he wanted to keep Stamkos in the fold. Inexcusable to make that deal if you aren’t willing to budge off of 3m. He is not wanted back

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'll grab the pitchfork once the headline says "Stamkos will not return to the Tampa Bay Lightning" and the source comes from Meehan and he actually leaves. Someone is going to concede.

Until then I'm convinced these guys are just doing their best impressions of my cats derping over a cricket on my back porch being stupid AF making a total ass of themselves. That's literally what this reminds me of.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
JBB is really choosing Jeannot and/or Sheary over a franchise player who was the face of the org for over a decade. This is insane. Truly insane.

Stamkos makes the team better, shesry and Jeannot are contracts that can and should have been moved, as they just didn't work out for the roster in any sense.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
we have 5 million in cap space so whether we move sheary and jeannot doesn’t even matter if he is only offering 3. personally i’ll just wait a few days and see what happens. jbb has made some weird decisions in the past but i still doubt he would just let stamkos walk unless we have some plan to replace him

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
JBB is really choosing Jeannot and/or Sheary over a franchise player who was the face of the org for over a decade. This is insane. Truly insane.

Stamkos makes the team better, shesry and Jeannot are contracts that can and should have been moved, as they just didn't work out for the roster in any sense.
I really *REALLY* think this is hardball until the 11th hour. Stamkos' camp turned the contract negotiations 8 years ago into a f***ing circus complete with selfies at Jays games and liking Stamkos to Leafs statuses on Twitter; all over a contract that was the near precise to Stamkos' value considering his track record at the time was being often injured and poor playoff performances. The hysterics that were thrown only to sign one of the best contracts in NHL history is the one thing in his career I will not cut him slack on. I think JFBB has remembered that Stamkos' camp loves hardball and is using every last ounce of leverage he can.

Only difference is JFBB is throwing the circus now and he's actively pitched his tent and started running the Ferris wheels. And if you listen closely you can hear the elephants coming.

JFBB needs to stop the bullshit and build us a team that's winning a Cup instead of a team where everyone who can score 30 points a year gets lifetime contracts

It's embarrassing and I expect better of our GM

Last edited:

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I don't see him going to Detroit considering Yzerman played hardball with him too.

JBB is super overcomplicating this though.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't see him going to Detroit considering Yzerman played hardball with him too.

JBB is super overcomplicating this though.
Yzerman played hardball, but look at that deal in hindsight. To this day, no one has made more than 1m more than that contract.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
I'm curious what Stammer is actually asking for. I read the tweet about wanting 1.5-2m more than what's being offered. So, 4.5-5m, but is he looking for the same eight year deal? If so, adios.

I think at 4.5-5 I'd only be happy if it was a three year deal....and he wouldn't take that either. How many people want Stammer, at age 38, taking up 5m? The cap should go up but that's still pretty risky IMO.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I'm curious what Stammer is actually asking for. I read the tweet about wanting 1.5-2m more than what's being offered. So, 4.5-5m, but is he looking for the same eight year deal? If so, adios.

I think at 4.5-5 I'd only be happy if it was a three year deal....and he wouldn't take that either. How many people want Stammer, at age 38, taking up 5m? The cap should go up but that's still pretty risky IMO.
He's not the one asking for an 8 year deal lol. He prob wants short term, high AAV.

Him even agreeing to talk 8 years to keep the AAV down is a favor to the team.

Reactions: The Gongshow

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I'm not sure if you understand the reality of where we will be when Stamkos is 38, 39, 40 regardless if he's here or not.

And the cap is going up. Stamkos at 4.5 6 years from now is like having a 3.5m bad contract right now. You sign that all day because it leaves you with enough room to improve your roster in the here and now.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
There it is through a reliable source, no cap space will be made.

Like last offseason JBB continues to act like he’s completely helpless to our cap situation, f*** you dude.

4m could potentially keep him too. Horrible
You mean the source says will stay put and not get rid of Sheary/Jeannot? And we won't trade either Cirelli or Sergachev?
Fück me man, that would be depressing.
We have to re-tool in order to get back at being competitive.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
You mean the source says will stay put and not get rid of Sheary/Jeannot? And we won't trade either Cirelli or Sergachev?
Fück me man, that would be depressing.
We have to re-tool in order to get back at being competitive.

Source says Lightning have gone as far as they can with what they are willing to do with the cap to make room for Stamkos. Yeah it's depressing

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
I'm not sure if you understand the reality of where we will be when Stamkos is 38, 39, 40 regardless if he's here or not.

And the cap is going up. Stamkos at 4.5 6 years from now is like having a 3.5m bad contract right now. You sign that all day because it leaves you with enough room to improve your roster in the here and now.
I understand what you're saying, but we could hit on another Point or two between now and then, there are several offseasons to sign help and work out trades, and of course we'll have draft picks. It's not guaranteed we'll be garbage then.

He's not the one asking for an 8 year deal lol. He prob wants short term, high AAV.

Him even agreeing to talk 8 years to keep the AAV down is a favor to the team.
But the reality is we don't know what he's asking for, it's all speculation as far as I'm concerned. The 1.5-2m more might really be 3-4m more. It might be 5-6m more. JBB might've offered 4, or even 5. If the source is Stammer's camp, it's not exactly an unbiased one.

• Haha
Reactions: T REX

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad