GDT: 2024 Free Agency - July 1st - 12 P.M.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

devsfan4life

Aug 13, 2007
FL
What type of player is Pesce? Stay at home RD, mobile? Block shots/slot attempts? Good PKer? I saw someone post his comparable numbers to Marino but other than that I don’t know much about him. I assume a good partner for Luke..?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
What type of player is Pesce? Stay at home RD, mobile? Block shots/slot attempts? Good PKer? I saw someone post his comparable numbers to Marino but other than that I don’t know much about him. I assume a good partner for Luke..?
Moves the puck well, solid in his own end, kills penalties, not physical but he has a big body at 6'3 over 200. He'll be a solid partner for an offensive Defenseman.

Edit: Vanilla but like one of the better store bought vanilla ice creams. :laugh:

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
Marino has one season where he looks like a surefire top-4 defenseman and then one season where he looks like he'd be health-bombed in the AHL. The adoration for this guy is just baffling.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
We still need a LHD. We still need to sign Mercer and we still need at least one more forward...

And Pesce will cost more than Marino and Bahl combined.
Yeah. but we will not say NO to Pesce if we want land him for 5.5 only and his market price is starting from 6.
Everything you said can be signed for 10-12 mil combine.

Reactions: Wierzbowski426

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Marino has one season where he looks like a surefire top-4 defenseman and then one season where he looks like he'd be health-bombed in the AHL. The adoration for this guy is just baffling.
People can’t resist younger and cheaper

Reactions: HBK27

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Moves the puck well, solid in his own end, kills penalties, not physical but he has a big body at 6'3 over 200. He'll be a solid partner for an offensive Defenseman.

Edit: Vanilla but like one of the better store bought vanilla ice creams. :laugh:
You’ll never see him throw a hit but I’d actually say he IS pretty physical. He’s great along the boards and in front of the net and uses his size well to get inside position and break up offense.

Marino was a great fit here with his skating and outlets, but i think the Devils have been desperate for a guy like Pesce to help stabilize the 5v5 chances against.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

I think that's extreme. He was not good last year, don't get me wrong, but I think he's a very capable player. But a defensive defenseman, he is not. Very solid transition defenseman with his skating and passing, but far too weak when pinned in his own zone and it happened far too regularly last year.

Find an ideal partner with him and I think he'll rebound next year.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Very solid defensive d for a while now. Have to love the 241 hits last year too. I wouldn’t pay too much for him though. Definitely not over 2 years.
the “for awhile now” is the part that worries me, i know he was an underrated defensive D with Dallas and then was with the Sharks when they were contending for a few years. But with his style and age, i’m wary of committing more than a year or two to him.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yes. Begins at 11:00am
ESPN? They have the first day of Wimbledon on the mothership. ABC has their regular Monday schedule of talk shows and soaps. Maybe they’re streaming something but looks like just the NHLN for the TV coverage

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ

Call me basic but the best bang for you buck store bought ice cream is Breyers natural vanilla.

Reactions: Hockey Sports Fan

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
People can’t resist younger and cheaper
I mean, why can't people look at it like a trade? Would you rather have 27 year old Marino for 3/4.4, or 29 year old Pesce for 5/6.125 and two 2nd round picks?

Pesce is a better fit next to Luke, and Pesce didn't just turn in one of the grossest seasons I can ever remember for a Devils defenseman.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
He was literally our best defensive defenseman in a 52 win season and you don't understand where the admiration comes from?

Don't get me wrong, I do think he was highly overrated by our fans in 2023 but I certainly do understand why people liked him.

Last year though the defense was purely a management blunder from my perspective. Knowingly using 3 rookie Dmen and Brendan Smith was stupid and it wasn't a matter of circumstances due to injuries...Nemec was always going to play a certain amount of games last season.

The defense was set up to fail last year in my view.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad