Speculation: Stammergeddon 2024: Is Stamkos going to re-sign with the Lightning?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is Stamkos going to resign with the lightning?

• Yes

Votes: 37 58.7%
  • No

Votes: 26 41.3%

• Total voters

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
If we offered 3x8 and Stamkos wants 4 or 5M depending on term I'm assuming 4x6 or 5x5. So all in all he wants around 25M to stick around. We should be able to go up to 3.5x8 which gets him 28M. Nobody expects him to play out those last couple of years so we can LTIR the last 2 years, with his injury history shouldn't be a problem, and he gets his money and we get cap relief. If he's healthy we can buy him out.

We would need to avoid doing signing bonuses for it. We could structure it to where it's not completely front loaded but more like a pendulum so when we buy him out he gets a nicer severance at the end.

He gets 19.8 the first 6 years and with a buyout. Then he gets 6.7M after the buyout so he gets 26.5 in total cash for the contract. If you buy him out after 5 he gets 16.7M while playing and then 10.2M for the buyout so a total of 26.9M so he's making out well. And structuring it that way instead of front loaded or bonus heavy will make the buyout penalty much better for us.
Is there a recent contract similar? The NHL can not approve a deal if they deem it cap circumvention, correct?

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
Never thought Stamkos would get Killorned. It’s like the more guys say they want to stay the more insulting the offer they get. Was JBB a used car salesman before this?
Even worse, a lawyer.

I'm in the minority here, but I don't have any issues with the rumored offer. We're nearing the end of our window, an eventual rebuild would only be made more difficult by a bad Stammer deal. My perspective never includes loyalty to a player, I've always viewed that as kind of silly. This guy is worth many millions of dollars, he's going to live like a king for the rest of his life and this is true whether his next deal is 10m p/y, or 3 pennies per year. He got to play the game he loves for a living. I'm not going to pretend like he's some kind of victim because his last contract offer wasn't what he wanted.

No player is above the team, not Stammer, not anyone. I PREFER players play their entire careers with one team, I think it's cool to see. But by no means is any player owed that. Countless professional athletes, HOF legendary athletes, finished their careers on a team other than the one that drafted them, including Gretzky.

It's very difficult to determine what Stammer is worth, I guess we'll find out what the market thinks he's worth in a few days. But I'll say that the problem this team has is defense, and that is why Mac was brought back and appears to be Stammers replacement. People get so obsessed with offense, and seem to forget about defense. Our defense was abysmal, and it appears that JBB recognizes that better defense minus Stammer makes us a better team than keeping Stammer and continuing to have bad defense. We literally just saw what that looked like.

It will be several months, and many more moves, before we know the full ramifications of letting Stammer walk if that does indeed happen. For me it's not as simple as "he's our captain give him what he wants, it's not possible for the team to be better without him". Nah, I can't get behind that.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Is there a recent contract similar? The NHL can not approve a deal if they deem it cap circumvention, correct?

Not that I can think of because most deals are bonus heavy, front loaded or flat, there's occasional back loaded ones but most players want money early. But the structure of the deal I proposed isn't cap circumventing because it doesn't go below the 60% threshold.

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
Even worse, a lawyer.

Touche

I'm in the minority here, but I don't have any issues with the rumored offer. We're nearing the end of our window, an eventual rebuild would only be made more difficult by a bad Stammer deal. My perspective never includes loyalty to a player, I've always viewed that as kind of silly. This guy is worth many millions of dollars, he's going to live like a king for the rest of his life and this is true whether his next deal is 10m p/y, or 3 pennies per year. He got to play the game he loves for a living. I'm not going to pretend like he's some kind of victim because his last contract offer wasn't what he wanted.

No player is above the team, not Stammer, not anyone. I PREFER players play their entire careers with one team, I think it's cool to see. But by no means is any player owed that. Countless professional athletes, HOF legendary athletes, finished their careers on a team other than the one that drafted them, including Gretzky.

It's very difficult to determine what Stammer is worth, I guess we'll find out what the market thinks he's worth in a few days. But I'll say that the problem this team has is defense, and that is why Mac was brought back and appears to be Stammers replacement. People get so obsessed with offense, and seem to forget about defense. Our defense was abysmal, and it appears that JBB recognizes that better defense minus Stammer makes us a better team than keeping Stammer and continuing to have bad defense. We literally just saw what that looked like.

It will be several months, and many more moves, before we know the full ramifications of letting Stammer walk if that does indeed happen. For me it's not as simple as "he's our captain give him what he wants, it's not possible for the team to be better without him". Nah, I can't get behind that.
We certainly needed to improve the defense and McDonagh does that.

Nobody is saying hand Stamkos a blank check, but it's quite clear he's asking for much less than he's worth. Trading Jeannot and Sheary make the space, but JBB is dragging his feet. Maybe he's charging Vinik his hourly lawyer rate?

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Even worse, a lawyer.

I agree that no player is above the team. However, losing Stamkos for nothing DOES NOT make the team better. It makes them way worse.

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
Not to mention the leadership angle. Some salary needs to be shed to make this work and it's not like there aren't glaring candidates for it. Losing those individuals doesn't make the team worse. Losing Stamkos does. Unless he's asking way more but that doesn't seem to be the rumor. This isn't letting Killorn or Palat walk.

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Flat-cap caused tough choices, but being decent is a choice too. To think, what this GM has given unproven players, and others, but then craps on existing players turn after turn. What the ???? The right move here is trade one of 3 extended contracts (Cernak or Serg), and get what assets one can get back from it. But way this GM operates stinks of pride for many reasons!!!

Way this GM has treated existing Lightning players, and now to insult Stamkos this way too. Is last straw for us, and reason enough for us to checkout until GM is gone. And that would not be easy, we watch every single Lightning game each year. We used to take pride in way Lightning treated players, but way this GM treats existing players is what's insulting. Does anyone think Hedman, or anyone else is selling out for this GM? Most players will do just enough to stay healthy, and get theirs within this lockeroom environment. Sounds like effort many Lightning players had during 1st rd this yr, doesn't it? With way GM treats players, can't really blame any player for doing that though. Welcome in our new Locker-room chemistry folks. Oh well, pride before the fall.... Hope GM is happy with "His" team, and gets "Full" credit for any winning done this time around.

Sure, we understood some players had to go, but to disrespect players during that process is to much. Treating players with so much disrespect didn't have to be part of that equation, that was a choice. A bad one at that....

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Say Stamkos signs for 4.5 and Sheary gets bought out with no one biting on the trade bait we are offering

Doesn't that leave appx 2.9 to fill out four roster spots?

Interesting and worrying that we are on track to repeat last season with a roster that is one year older made up of a high-priced handful of players supported by cast offs from other organizations and players who should be getting experience in the AHL vice NHL.

But if that is what the majority of the fan base wants, that is what the fan base deserves.
I believe they'd only have around 2.2 left in that scenario. They could trade Jeannot and Perbix as well to boost it to around 6 available, then after bringing up Lilleberg and Crozier, plus let's say re-sign Motte amd promote Goncalves, they'd have ~2.5 for 2 last F spots to reach 22. They'd likely try and sign a 1 and a 1.5 type guy, but the depth is still weaker unless they hit on a couple lower cost guys this time.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
I agree that no player is above the team. However, losing Stamkos for nothing DOES NOT make the team better. It makes them way worse.

It's why I was hoping we'd trade him at the deadline, for various reasons it seemed clear he probably wouldn't be brought back. But even without trading him and getting assets in return, we can't really say losing him nets us nothing, we have to wait and see what we do in FA and via trade. I seriously doubt the plan was to bring in a top 4 defenseman, let Stammer walk, and then fill in the roster with some minimum salary guys.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
we can't really say losing him nets us nothing,
Nothing? Something? Where you getting a franchise Captain that had 81 points last yr?

JBB is on a roll! Jeannot, Sheary, Dumba, Duke...can't wait to see what corpse he drags in next.

GMAFB

Reactions: Coopers Gum

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
People are too emotionally attached.. He scored 40 and we still lost in the first round..

Scored half standing still, in one spot on the pp maybe JBB realizes that's not how you win..

• Haha
Reactions: T REX

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
People are too emotionally attached.. He scored 40 and we still lost in the first round..

Scored half standing still, in one spot on the pp maybe JBB realizes that's not how you win..
I don't think it's the emotion. I think it's more like, if we lost in the first round with him, how much worse are we without?

The problem is less about losing Stamkos than it is there doesn't seem to be an actual plan to improve the team.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

Ya and with Stamkos gone our power play is dead teams Will shut down Kucherov and block out point in the bumper spot .

I don't think it's the emotion. I think it's more like, if we lost in the first round with him, how much worse are we without?

The problem is less about losing Stamkos than it is there doesn't seem to be an actual plan to improve the team.
Correct we know JBB will flop bringing in another sheary 2.0 to replace Stamkos with no money. When we have no trade assets to replace Stamkos and get a top 6 forward also . Good luck replacing 40 goals with the bottom feed players JBB will bring in .

Reactions: J T Money

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Far from it, emotion is keeping Stamkos at market value or above it for the sake of keeping Stamkos, idiocy is letting a 40 goal scorer walk for sub 5M, surely even you can put that together.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

There absolutely is a plan, it just doesn't involve Stamkos above a lowball contract from JBB's perspective. I expect a slew of moves after July 1 if he doesn't sign. I like Guentzel if that's who we're truly targeting, he's got a lethal shot and is a better player today than Stamkos is but what's crazy is we can double dip, keep Stamkos at a stupid good deal that doesn't hurt the team and he's saying pass??? That part makes no sense, if he's asking for 7M+ yeah maybe lets explore other options but 4-5M is insanity.

Last edited:
Reactions: DFC

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
You guys can't just say the annual amount and act like that's the contract. 8x3=24m.

Yes it's low, but 5x5=25m. Would you be crying as loudly? If he plays 5 years @ 3m per and gets the rest on LTIR and it's 24M that's only 1m less total than 5x5.

I also want them to get the deal done. Maybe 3.75 x 7 = 26.25m or 4m x 6y = 24m or even 4m x 7 = 28m.

I do agree those seem like very team friendly deals and JBB needs to bridge the gap.

Just remember we asked for it when we're carrying dead cap for 2-5 years at age 37, 38 etc whatever when his body can't keep up.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Bozo Nicholson

5 Alarm Fire™
Jun 6, 2015
GD-3lIrXoAIlgUa

Put it to bed, boys.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
You guys can't just say the annual amount and act like that's the contract. 8x3=24m.

Yes it's low, but 5x5=25m. Would you be crying as loudly? If he plays 5 years @ 3m per and gets the rest on LTIR and it's 24M that's only 1m less total than 5x5.

I also want them to get the deal done. Maybe 3.75 x 7 = 26.25m or 4m x 6y = 24m or even 4m x 7 = 28m.

I do agree those seem like very team friendly deals and JBB needs to bridge the gap.

Just remember we asked for it when we're carrying dead cap for 2-5 years at age 37, 38 etc whatever when his body can't keep up.
By the time we carry the dead cap we will be in a full rebuild thanks to our terrible GM in his garbage drafting ability and trading all our draft picks for Tanner jeannot

So who cares about the dead cap are whole core will be old by then with no prospects in our organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad