Speculation: Stamkos

Dickfoligno

Apr 5, 2020
As a question for Lightning fans and people intrigued by the Stamkos situation:

How confident are you that the Lightning will get something done, even if he hits the open market and gets more than market value from other teams, and if they can, who do you think is most likely to be a casualty on TBL roster to make it happen?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Stamkos will look around the league, remember that he can take less with Tampa and still come out ahead due to taxes, and resign there.
Tampa has $5.3M in cap space and still needs to sign 1 defenseman and 2 forwards in addition to Stamkos.

Those 3 players at league minimum will bring the cap space down to ~$3M. I imagine he'll be able to get substantially more than the tax difference of that elsewhere.

Dickfoligno

Apr 5, 2020
The Ryan McDonough move was also really odd to me from an outside perspective, especially with zero retention.

I just wonder why they would willingly put themselves in that situation of bringing back at 30 something year old D with a big cap hit that could have been used to keep Stamkos to begin with instead of now being in a tight spot where they have to dump Jeannot, and/or Sheary, and maybe something else to make it happen and fill the roster out, unless they believe he will sign for much less.

Reactions: Fro

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
The Lightning will most likely try to dump some cap in the next week or so. Players like: Sheary, Jeannot, Cirelli, Cernak, Perbix, Sergachev have all be discussed on the Lightning board.

Stamkos' entire foundation is in Tampa. Been that way for 16 years? He's won cups and has the HoF locked up. I doubt he wants to uproot his family at this point I he doesn't have to.

On top of that, the Lightning currently have two top 6 holes to fill (including Stamkos 40Gs). They have $5.5M to do it with. I'm going to guess their plan is NOT to let him walk and fill two top 6 F holes with only $5.5M.

They'll most likely find a way to bring him back.

Last edited:
Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
The Lightning will kost likely try to dump some cap in the next week or so. Players like: Sheary, Jeannot, Cirelli, Cernak, Perbix, Sergachev have all be discussed on the Lightning board.

Stamkos' entire foundation is in Tampa. Been that way for 16 years? He's won cups and has the HoF locked up. I doubt he wants to uproot his family at this point I he doesn't have to.

On top of that, the Lightning currently have two top 6 holes to fill (including Stamkos 40Gs). They have $5.5M to do it with. I'm going to guess their plan is NOT to let him walk and fill two top 6 F holes with only $5.5M.

They'll most likely find a way to bring him back.
Sergachev for Clarke.

Blockbuster.

Reactions: garmonbozia

gvineq

Feb 6, 2023
Stamkos will look around the league, remember that he can take less with Tampa and still come out ahead due to taxes, and resign there.
I feel like people think state taxes are higher than they are. I've lived in both and the state with no state tax has massively high property taxes. Way higher than I would pay in state tax in the state with a state tax. From what I understand Florida has really high property insurance. The last time I filed state income tax I paid less than $1000 for the year and I got something silly like $18 back as a refund. Granted I wasn't making a few million. Conversely when I moved to a state with no state tax or taxes on most groceries I wasn't swimming in money Scrooge McDuck style because of the "savings". Due to a large difference in pay rate it's hard for me to determine if and I am saving money in the no state tax state and if I was if it is a lot. Again, I don't make millions. I will say my yearly property taxes are roughly around the price of a new fully loaded mid class (Toyota type) SUV or luxury sedan. and my property taxes are guaranteed to increase every year.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
I feel like people think state taxes are higher than they are. I've lived in both and the state with no state tax has massively high property taxes. Way higher than I would pay in state tax in the state with a state tax. From what I understand Florida has really high property insurance. The last time I filed state income tax I paid less than $1000 for the year and I got something silly like $18 back as a refund. Granted I wasn't making a few million. Conversely when I moved to a state with no state tax or taxes on most groceries I wasn't swimming in money Scrooge McDuck style because of the "savings". Due to a large difference in pay rate it's hard for me to determine if and I am saving money in the no state tax state and if I was if it is a lot. Again, I don't make millions. I will say my yearly property taxes are roughly around the price of a new fully loaded mid class (Toyota type) SUV or luxury sedan. and my property taxes are guaranteed to increase every year.

Off topic but... Wait what. You pay 50 000+ a year in property taxes but "don't make millions"? How the hell do you even afford that.

On the topic of Stamkos, really feel Tampa are moving on and see a age cliff coming. Wouldn't be surprised if he isn't anywhere near PPG this year.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Could definitely see a team like Detroit making room for him as others have mentioned. Their recent moves suggest something bigger is coming for sure

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Would Vancouver make an offer? They have 9+million they want to give Guentzel for 7 years. Would Stamkos take a three year deal, 12, 12, 4 with signing bonuses? Avg it out to just under 9 mil cap hit.

Guentzel, a guy that has never hit 100 points 7 years at 9 million, ridiculous.

If Van is contnet to pay Guentzel 9 mil at age 37 why not get a guy that old now that is known to produce at that age?

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
Would Vancouver make an offer? They have 9+million they want to give Guentzel for 7 years. Would Stamkos take a three year deal, 12, 12, 4 with signing bonuses? Avg it out to just under 9 mil cap hit.

Guentzel, a guy that has never hit 100 points 7 years at 9 million, ridiculous.

If Van is contnet to pay Guentzel 9 mil at age 37 why not get a guy that old now that is known to produce at that age?
Stamkos has taken a step back. Nearly half of his points were on the PP. Defensively is a liability and not the play driver he used to be.

Guentzel is an exceedingly strong evs producer, both in the regular season and in the playoffs in his career.

Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Stamkos has taken a step back. Nearly half of his points were on the PP. Defensively is a liability and not the play driver he used to be.

Guentzel is an exceedingly strong evs producer, both in the regular season and in the playoffs in his career.
Pretty much the same as Guentzel, Stamkos has been even stronger. Look up the comparison on Edge.

The thought being the term. In three years the Canucks will need loads of cash to re-sign players, Demko, Hughes, ? and play in the FA market for really big game.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

I can't speak about Guentzel, but it is a fair assessment on Stamkos.

I think he will extend with us for a cheap deal

Reactions: More 2004

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
if he was leaving there would be 10 articles a day about all the teams that he could go to. it's not happening

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I think Vegas signs him. We all know Vegas will look for another big fish because it sounds like Marchessault and Stephenson are walking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad