Speculation: Stamkos

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
As a question for Lightning fans and people intrigued by the Stamkos situation:

How confident are you that the Lightning will get something done, even if he hits the open market and gets more than market value from other teams, and if they can, who do you think is most likely to be a casualty on TBL roster to make it happen?
I am about 8 out of 10 on the Stamkos returns to Tampa confidence scale.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Tampa has $5.3M in cap space and still needs to sign 1 defenseman and 2 forwards in addition to Stamkos.

Those 3 players at league minimum will bring the cap space down to ~$3M. I imagine he'll be able to get substantially more than the tax difference of that elsewhere.
That and there are other teams play in states with no state tax. Florida isnt entirely unique in that fashion

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
It's directly contradictory to the intent to get younger, but if it's a short term, high dollar deal I wonder if Pittsburgh makes an offer. PIT has cap space to burn in the near term but doesn't want to commit to super long contracts that would go rotten after the rebuild, and they need a trigger man on the PP. Stammer for 2 years would fit their needs.

Reactions: Jag68Sid87

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The Ryan McDonough move was also really odd to me from an outside perspective, especially with zero retention.

I just wonder why they would willingly put themselves in that situation of bringing back at 30 something year old D with a big cap hit that could have been used to keep Stamkos to begin with instead of now being in a tight spot where they have to dump Jeannot, and/or Sheary, and maybe something else to make it happen and fill the roster out, unless they believe he will sign for much less.
Folks need to ask themselves: would they have even picked up Ryan McDonagh if they thought it jeopardized keeping Stamkos in any way? Of course they wouldn't have. It's not like they picked up McDonagh, THEN ran their Cap numbers, and said "oopsie!!! omg now we have no room for Stammer!". Nope. They already knew whatever it is they needed in order to keep Stamkos. Whether that's the manner they'd dump Jeannot, Sheary, Cirelli or whoever, or whether they have other LTIR options coming, whatever it is... they already knew it BEFORE they added McDonagh.

I mean, it's slightly possible that what they knew was that Stamkos wanted out... or wanted a ridiculously large contract that they weren't going to agree to even when they had room for it... but those seem like highly unlikely cases. It makes more sense that they simply have another Cap solution and they're fully planning to keep their 40-goal scoring Captain around.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Think this comes down to Tampa, Dallas and Detroit, in that order.. If they move Cirelli, Cernak or Sergachev before July 1, then he’s staying. Dallas would have to decide if the money is just too much of a luxury or not, and Detroit is likely sitting with open arms.

jamienwalker

Jul 30, 2022
I agree with CowbellConray, I hope Buffalo puts an offer in, and he signs. It'll be an expensive 2, probably have to be 3 year deal. Stamkos is an extremely valuable player, that's available for no assets. I think every team will be offering him a contract.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Can Stamkos still play centre? If so, the Bruins may make a big push for him.
He can. If he walks, I think Boston is probably the most likely destination.

I still think he stays. I just hope we make a major move to clear the money while bringing in assets, rather than a bunch of minor moves that will structure us more like the Leafs (top heavy, no depth).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad