Proposal: St. Louis/Buffalo: Schenn to the Sabres

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Geez, when did the discussions between St Louis and Buffalo get so unpleasant? These fanbases have historically gotten along great. I like to root for teams that haven't won a Cup yet, but its getting harder to feel that way about Buffalo for me.

There seems to be a misconception that St Louis is going to blow it up, or trade off core pieces for futures. I think the Blues' next big move is hiring a head coach. I don't think they're in the market for trading Schenn right now. But if they are trading a center, it should be Bozak, who I don't think fits Buffalo's interests all that well.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Geez, when did the discussions between St Louis and Buffalo get so unpleasant? These fanbases have historically gotten along great. I like to root for teams that haven't won a Cup yet, but its getting harder to feel that way about Buffalo for me.

There seems to be a misconception that St Louis is going to blow it up, or trade off core pieces for futures. I think the Blues' next big move is hiring a head coach. I don't think they're in the market for trading Schenn right now. But if they are trading a center, it should be Bozak, who I don't think fits Buffalo's interests all that well.

On HF, it's always kind of been like this. The ROR trade threads got like this. Those Miller trade threads would got even worse. People were using that rationale that Miller would guarantee us a Cup, so we should be fine with giving up anything for him. For whatever reason, when you throw the Blues and Sabres in a HF thread, things get a bit interesting.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So what have we learned? Blues fans want more from Schenn if he's traded. Some Sabres fans want Schenn, some want him but not at the offer some Blues fans did not like, and some don't want him at all.

And that math is hard.

And that Bozak is a gift that keeps on giving, but to whom we are not quite sure yet beyond perhaps his accountant and agent.

Reactions: TK 421

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
That's what I was just thinking. I think the RoR trade created some weird rivalry. Personally, I like the Blues and hope they do well. But some people in this thread make it hard.

We haven't won shit and neither have you, lets just all get along. :laugh:

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
That's what I was just thinking. I think the RoR trade created some weird rivalry. Personally, I like the Blues and hope they do well. But some people in this thread make it hard.

We haven't won **** and neither have you, lets just all get along. :laugh:

It dates back to the Miller threads, those threads got really nasty.

Reactions: 67Blues

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I read those threads at the time. I don't remember them as nasty, just that there was a big disagreement about what Miller was worth. As it turns out, not so much.

Things got really nasty at one point, and mods quickly removed it, but a good portion on each side knows what happened. It's why pocketnines left HF, I'll just leave it at that. No need to really go into detail, but those threads made mods pretty active.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Things got really nasty at one point, and mods quickly removed it, but a good portion on each side knows what happened. It's why pocketnines left HF, I'll just leave it at that. No need to really go into detail, but those threads made mods pretty active.
I know exactly why Pocket Nines left.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Guess it depends on retention. I wouldn't retain more than 1 million. At 4, he's about paid fairly, so it's not that horrible of a contract.

Yeah, about a million was my thought. He's got that mid-6 thing going for him but $5M is just a bit out of the range for me personally. It would also be strange if A) the Blues were to deal a guy they just signed as a UFA and more importantly B) that Buffalo isn't on Bozak's summer NTC list. But... he seems like a better fit in terms of cost to acquire than Schenn from a Buffalo point of view. Not sure that works for the Blues (or Bozak) however.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah, about a million was my thought. He's got that mid-6 thing going for him but $5M is just a bit out of the range for me personally. It would also be strange if A) the Blues were to deal a guy they just signed as a UFA and more importantly B) that Buffalo isn't on Bozak's summer NTC list. But... he seems like a better fit in terms of cost to acquire than Schenn from a Buffalo point of view. Not sure that works for the Blues (or Bozak) however.

If retention is minimal, the acquisition cost would be pretty low. 2nd+meh prospect or decent prospect.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York
Any team that you get their first from gets all pissy because you want them to do badly so your first can get you franchise defining player. Happened when we got the Islanders first also in the King Vanek ransom.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Any team that you get their first from gets all pissy because you want them to do badly so your first can get you franchise defining player. Happened when we got the Islanders first also in the King Vanek ransom.
I would think Buffalo would prefer St Louis to do a bit better, and end up at #11 so they get the pick this year. Is that not the main school of thought on their side?

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York
I would think Buffalo would prefer St Louis to do a bit better, and end up at #11 so they get the pick this year. Is that not the main school of thought on their side?
Today's game could be a win/win for us, the blues can play themselves out of pick protection and turn their season around and become mediocre giving us a solid pick in a deep draft or they can slide again and blow it all up and give us a potentially great lotto pick next year. I'm good with either option.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Given the depth in this draft, yes.... 11th in 2019 is ideal...

But an unprotected 2020 pick is certainly enticing in the Ottawa/Colorado sense... it could hypothetically be a high end lottery pick.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

But an unprotected 2020 pick is certainly enticing in the Ottawa/Colorado sense... it could hypothetically be a high end lottery pick.

It's probably more likely that a coaching change fixes a lot of the issues plaguing the Blues this year. There would still potentially be a goaltending issue and a top-end issue, but I doubt it's another year of high-end lottery. It's really going to come down to if we invest in new coaches or go with in-experienced and bargain bin coaches.

Our PP structure has been an issue for years and that's related to Yeo, and our bizarre defensive structure of trying to do zone and man-to-man is on Van Ryn. We need an experienced head coach that can command the room and the authority to pick his own assistants.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Today's game could be a win/win for us, the blues can play themselves out of pick protection and turn their season around and become mediocre giving us a solid pick in a deep draft or they can slide again and blow it all up and give us a potentially great lotto pick next year. I'm good with either option.
There are too many prime age core players to blow it up. That's a HF fantasy here. At most, they'll trade off a core piece like Tarasenko or Pietro and try it again next year with a different formula. If the Blues pick Top 10 this year, I really don't see them making moves that would be likely to lead to a young rebuilding team next season (a team expected to struggle).

Maybe they'll inexplicably be terrible again next year, but I think its silly for Buffalo fans to fantasize about getting a top 10 pick next year with the Blues reconstructing.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

Yes, and Buffalo could hypothetically earn their own high end lottery pick with their own 1st. You may as well root for that, too, maybe you can get the top 2 picks next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad