Proposal: St. Louis/Buffalo: Schenn to the Sabres

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Why would we give them back the best part of the ROR deal and a couple prospects for a downgrade on ROR?

Because the situation for both St Louis and Buffalo has changed since the RoR trade

Part of the RoR trade was to change locker room dynamics and force Eichel/Reinhart/et al to stop relying on RoR to be a leader. That has been accomplished.

The hope was Mittelstadt/Berglund/Reinhart could pick up the 2/3 center duties.

Reinhart has been part of the top line. Berglund is gone. And Mittelstadt simply isn't ready yet to be a regular contributor. Which is why they need a center.

I kinda doubt if Sabres would go "all in this season" by trading away futures. They are really the fourth best team in the Atlantic. Save your ammo. for another season.

Buffalo get's 1.5 seasons of Schenn. Even if they don't trade the 1sts in season, they need another center this summer . unless Mittelstadt takes a huge step forward. Hopefully by the time the contract is up, Mittelstadt is ready to take over 1B duties at C.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Schenn has been playing at a 67 pt pace during his time as a full time C in STL. He was a bit of an unproven full time C in Philly and had his most productive year when he was C'd by Giroux

I think he is worth a tadmore than what STL spent to acquire him.... more proven at C/slightly better raw production, but 2 years less on his contract. His scoring efficiency (all strengths p/60) has remained between 2.3-2.6 the last 4 (2 in STL, 2 in PHI) seasons as well. I think a bigger trade similar to Stepan+ to Arizona could be had as well. I don't think BUF should trade that STL pick. If they need a stop gap 2C i think they can pry a guy like Kevin Haynes which shouldn't cost the STL 1st.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Never said there was never a way- just very unlikely Blues make another trade with Buffalo unless they over pay- my point is 70 point season is more the playe Schenn can be - Army doesn’t get equal value in trades he gets overvalue - ROR and Schenn are great examples of that
"Sabres don't have cap space to add Schenn"

Sounds definitive to me.

How is that ROR trade working out for you? Worked out well for the sabres :)
Now the blues are talking rebuild and he traded all his picks away.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007

Sounds definitive to me.

So much wrong with this post.

ROR has been great for us, thx for asking.

The Blues aren't talking rebuild, the media is but that isn't a hill anyone should want to die on.

He hasn't "traded all his picks away".

I know you may find this hard to believe, but the Sabres improved through several other reasons completely unrelated to ROR.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
What about Buffalo targeting some UFA centers such as Spezza, Hayes, Lee or Brassard? From a rental standpoint, they could be worth a shot and probably won't cost a lot and will buy you the rest of the season to see where Mittelstadt is by the end of the year. Then you could do a one year contract with them, or look elsewhere. A lot less risk there and a lot more affordable.

Aavvaa

Jul 2, 2018
What about Buffalo targeting some UFA centers such as Spezza, Hayes, Lee or Brassard? From a rental standpoint, they could be worth a shot and probably won't cost a lot and will buy you the rest of the season to see where Mittelstadt is by the end of the year. Then you could do a one year contract with them, or look elsewhere. A lot less risk there and a lot more affordable.
This is what I have been kicking and screaming about for months.

Throw a 2nd and a high five to PIT for Brassard or something along those lines. We don't need to be trading away a bunch of future assets for older players.

Having 4 first round grade prospects coming in on ELC's while we're moving on to the next level of pay for our top players is going to be huge. Not to mention the 7 years of team control they bring.

I get people want to improve the roster now, but this is an incredibly unique position the Sabres are in. Being competitive and having this much in the way of future assets is almost Celtics esque. Let's not piss it away for players like Schenn when realistically we could just move secondary assets.

I seriously seriously hope Botterill doesn't move those picks. Also I realize "Piss it away for Schenn" sounds negative, and it's not. I love Schenn. The two just don't make sense right now.

MattMartin

Crypto Dbag™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Sabres don’t have the Cap to add Schenn and Blues could get a lot more for Schenn who is coming off a 70 point season

Schenn, 345 points in 545 career games and turning 28 before the start of next season will not get you what he think you will, sorry.

Last edited:

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Schenn, 345 points in 545 career games and turning 28 before the start of next season will not get you what he think you will, sorry.
Thus why the Blues aren't shopping him. If he can't return a positive value for the Blues this season in a trade, there is no reason to trade him.

TarasenkosForearm

Oct 21, 2017
We aren't trading a guy like Schenn that busts his ass. The Blues need to assess after a proper coach is brought in, with a scheme that is conducive to the talent on the team. As to the guy laughing about ROR, ROR has been busting his ass, been a class act, and is doing his job incredibly well. Buffalo got better for completely unrelated reasons...

Last edited by a moderator:

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
28 yes, sorry. That post comes across as knocking Schenn who I think is a very good player. That post was aimed at something from another thread just so you know. I don't want anyone to think I'm saying he is "worthless" by any stretch.
Schenn also started off his career slow.

amosmoses

Aug 26, 2018
Did that imaginary point help you win any games? If Schenn had a bonus in his contract that paid him for a 60 point season, in how many years would he have been paid that bonus? I'm going with 1 year. What say you?

Simple: Projecting a 19-20 year old, is not the same as measuring a veteran.

For f***s sake, 59 is closer to 60 than to 50. That’s why it’s misleading.

People sound like a bunch of chickens clucking in this thread. f***

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

Sounds definitive to me.

This is a pretty ignorant post. Sabres are better because they have had a consistent blue line. They went on a 10 game winning streak. And they were given Skinner for some pretty inconsequential pieces. Also, Eichel has been pretty healthy this year and a few of the older guys are having bounce back seasons.

Blues are bad, but they are nowhere near considering going full rebuild. Blues have not gotten consistency from their core whatsoever. ROR has been our best player. Thompson wouldn’t have helped this year, Sobotka needed to go, and Berglund also needed to go.

If you chalk either up to the ROR trade solely you really are not understanding of the situation.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
We aren't trading a guy like Schenn that busts his ass. The Blues need to assess after a proper coach is brought in, with a scheme that is conducive to the talent on the team. As to the guy laughing about ROR, you are ****ing dumb. ROR has been busting his ass, been a class act, and is doing his job incredibly well. Buffalo got better for completely unrelated reasons...

Not to beat a dead horse but I'm not sure how ROR's conduct on the ice disrupts the narrative that moving him helped Buffalo. No one has ever so much as hinted at his play being part of the problem here.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Buffalo is the Pittsburgh of the mid 2000's right now. Smart calculated trades for additional talent is what they need to do, no crazy roster changing trade. They are on the cusp of being a dominant team.

Reactions: Eichel9

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Buffalo is the Pittsburgh of the mid 2000's right now. Smart calculated trades for additional talent is what they need to do, no crazy roster changing trade. They are on the cusp of being a dominant team.
That is funny. They are overachieving due to luck and unsustainable percentages. They have 1 perhaps elite player, a likely elite player based on his pedigree and play as rookie, a good player shooting an insane percentage, and a bunch of middling players. Enjoy the flukey run this year, bc Toronto and especially Tampa have far better rosters moving forward.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Math Hill.
He hasn't been a 50 point player that past 4 seasons, he's been better than that every year...so much for that math hill.

He's been a 60 point 82 game pace the past 3 of 4 seasons, so much for that math hill.

Last edited:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
That is funny. They are overachieving due to luck and unsustainable percentages.

Fair

They have 1 perhaps elite player

Perhaps?

a likely elite player based on his pedigree and play as rookie

Ok so likely two elite players.... That’s 2 more than St louis

a good player shooting an insane percentage

That’s the benefit of having 2 elite players... they make the good players even better

and a bunch of middling players.

If Sam Reinhart is a middling player... what does that say about St Louis roster? Since he’s outsxoring everyone on it...

Enjoy the flukey run this year, bc Toronto and especially Tampa have far better rosters moving forward.

Thanks. We are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad