Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Catton if we pick, crossing my fingers
I don't see it, despite Catton's obvious offensive skill. He's similar stylistically to two forwards the Devils already have locked up long-term in Jack Hughes and Jesper Bratt, and Catton lacks the elite skating and upside of those two. While Catton certainly might have the highest point-scoring potential available when the Devils pick at #10, New Jersey has several needs in several areas (center, LD, interior forward) -- and the only one Catton could potentially fill is center, which is far from a guarantee since many in the scouting industry foresee him as a winger at the highest levels.

I very much like Berkly Catton as a player, and he's certainly in the conversation with the #10 pick. While I would probably not take him if I were Tom Fitzgerald, I am not Fitzgerald nor am I aware of his draft-day agenda. But we can say that Fitzgerald has repeatedly both stated and addressed a desire to build the Devils into a bigger and more physical team, and Catton would represent the smallest forward he has drafted since the 6th round of the 2020 draft.

Of course the same could be said for Konsta Helenius, but since Helenius is what we would call a more "natural" center, he might make a bit more sense for the organization going forward. And while it bears noting that just two years ago Fitzgerald made a terrific pick with an undersized defenseman in the 2nd round (Seamus Casey, 5'10-175) it also bears noting that Casey plays a greasier style and certainly bigger than his measurements. The same can be said for Helenius -- a remarkably competitive kid -- but not so much for Catton, who is not soft by any means but prefers to create from the perimeter.

Ultimately, Catton is certainly in play for the Devils pick at #10, I just wouldn't consider him a favorite. I'd say the most likely scenarios are a LD (Buium, Dickinson, Silayev or Solberg) or Helenius. Catton would be probably towards the middle of a group of dark horses which include Nygard, Iginla, Eiserman, Sennecke, Yakemchuk or -- in the very slight chance he falls -- Lindstrom.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah I agree, but I do think nepotism certainly could play a factor, not only because of his father being a Flames legend, but Tij is projected to go in that range regardless of his last name. There will definitely be outside pressure from the fanbase to pick Tij, and if they’re splitting hairs on two or three guys, nepotism wins out.

I think Conroy’s decision is initially going to be questioned regardless of who they pick unless Tij is already gone by then.
I think you're right. People are also forgetting that Conroy was one of Jerome Iginla's very closest friends on the team when they played in Calgary for several years. It's going to be very difficult to justify passing on Tij Iginla, if available.

However, I also think Ottawa takes Iginla at #7 overall, which would lighten Conroy's load a bit.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Of course the same could be said for Konsta Helenius, but since Helenius is what we would call a more "natural" center, he might make a bit more sense for the organization going forward.
I’m not sure Helenius is any more of a center at the NHL than Catton. At least in the top 6. He’s small and not all that fast or skilled. Not exactly the recipe of an NHL center.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Maybe we can trade back with SJ and get him with the 14th pick (and get our 2nd back in the process).
This is the first year I actually like the idea of a trade-back, because I think it's a virtual guarantee that one or more of Nygard/Solberg/Helenius will be available at #14. All three are not too far from the NHL, all three are outstanding prospects, and all three would fill major holes for the Devils going forward.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011

The latest from Craig Button:

Very interesting mock draft that has us selecting Helenius. This is the first time I think I’ve seen Dickinson going as high as 3. Iginla doesn’t make it to Calgary and Catton falls to 15.

EDIT: Greentree 2 spots ahead of MBN. That won’t be a popular take in these parts!

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

Very interesting mock draft that has us selecting Helenius. This is the first time I think I’ve seen Dickinson going as high as 3. Iginla doesn’t make it to Calgary and Catton falls to 15.
Not sure Craig Button is even worth posting

Unless you want to get an idea of whats definitely not gonna happen.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I’m not sure Helenius is any more of a center at the NHL than Catton.
In terms of Helenius vs. Catton, it's pretty simple. Catton is better with the puck, Helenius is a lot better without the puck. At wing you can take this with a grain of salt, but at center it certainly becomes more critical.

It's possibly been understated how impressive Helenius' scoring output was in the top Finnish league while also contributing above-average defense as a 17-to-18 year old.

Now, Catton is not the cliche "defensively non-existent" forward (see: Eiserman, Greentree) by any means, but he certainly would not be considered too far above-average defensively, even in the CHL. But he's not a player I think anyone would say stands out until the puck is on his stick. Helenius stands out all over the ice.

I think the only knocks on both Helenius and Catton in terms of overall draft-standing is a lack of size (Catton probably 5'11-170, Helenius probably about the same at 5'11-175) combined with a lack of high-end skating (I'd rate both of their skating grades as good, but not great). But I don't think this holds back Helenius' future at center because his IQ off the puck is so elite -- his anticipation and awareness are so impressive they almost give him a cheat code.

So, while it's impossible to disagree with your assessment that it's possible both are moved to the wing, I think it's a fair statement that Helenius has a greater chance to remain up the middle at higher levels.

Not sure Craig Button is even worth posting

Unless you want to get an idea of whats definitely not gonna happen.
I like Button because he's so biased for and against certain players for questionable reasons that you get an idea how teams like the Senators are going to screw up everyone's mock draft.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
In terms of Helenius vs. Catton, it's pretty simple. Catton is better with the puck, Helenius is a lot better without the puck. At wing you can take this with a grain of salt, but at center it certainly becomes more critical.

It's possibly been understated how impressive Helenius' scoring output was in the top Finnish league while also contributing above-average defense as a 17-to-18 year old.

Now, Catton is not the cliche "defensively non-existent" forward (see: Eiserman, Greentree) by any means, but he certainly would not be considered too far above-average defensively, even in the CHL. But he's not a player I think anyone would say stands out until the puck is on his stick. Helenius stands out all over the ice.

I think the only knocks on both Helenius and Catton in terms of overall draft-standing is a lack of size (Catton probably 5'11-170, Helenius probably about the same at 5'11-175) combined with a lack of high-end skating (I'd rate both of their skating grades as good, but not great). But I don't think this holds back Helenius' future at center because his IQ off the puck is so elite -- his anticipation and awareness are so impressive they almost give him a cheat code.

So, while it's impossible to disagree with your assessment that it's possible both are moved to the wing, I think it's a fair statement that Helenius has a greater chance to remain up the middle at higher levels.
I don’t disagree with you I just have very little belief in small, slow or just not that fast players making it at center. Centers have to cover more ice than anyone and even if he’s smart and adjusts well to the NHL pace Helenius will have an extremely difficult time doing that. Just don’t see it.

I like Button because he's so biased for and against certain players for questionable reasons that you get an idea how teams like the Senators are going to screw up everyone's mock draft.
You’re might be right there. Button just churns out questionable and straight up bad takes after bad take and is somehow continuously paid to keep doing so. Always has the worst logic too.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Looking at the teams picking in the top 10 and Stian Solberg and the devils might be the first team that could be reasonably likely to take him.

I think he fits the devils needs well and the devils can afford more than any of the teams in front of them to go a bit off the board.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I don’t disagree with you I just have very little belief in small, slow or just not that fast players making it at center. Centers have to cover more ice than anyone and even if he’s smart and adjusts well to the NHL pace Helenius will have an extremely difficult time doing that. Just don’t see it.

You’re might be right there. Button just churns out questionable and straight up bad takes after bad take and is somehow continuously paid to keep doing so. Always has the worst logic too.
Neither Catton nor Helenius are slow, and both are so smart that they think ahead of game pace and have no problem with it. But Catton is always thinking offense and has a propensity to cheat towards that goal, whereas Helenius does not.

Again, you're certainly right that NHL organizations might agree with you and move them both to wing, I'm just saying for the sake of debate.

It's very possible indeed that outside my top 3 (Celebrini, Lindstrom) the next player drafted who sticks at center in the NHL is Cole Beaudoin. And, although the Devils are not going to be getting Beaudoin, that's a kid I can probably talk about forever. What a great young player and on-ice leader.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

EDIT: Greentree 2 spots ahead of MBN. That won’t be a popular take in these parts!
Its mock draft. So technically everything can happen.

Overall I mostly ignore Button this days. I can be not agree with Pronman but at least he iswatching this players and watching them a lot.

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
off-topic for StevenToddIves (not tagged on purpose - cause not really urgent).

What would you say were your 2 biggest misses over the course of your time doing this?
And what about your 2 biggest homeruns (outside of obvious top 10 people)?

Just curious - would appreciate the food for thought.

For fairness (and I don't look into this stuff like ya'll). I thought Kerby Rychel was going to be great from that 2013 draft.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Helenius isnt fast from the start but as I remember he is top-5 finnish league player in terms of speed. He is fast enough on the move.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland

The only rankings I get excited for. It’s funny how the two guys working for the same company are on the completely opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of worth reading and taking their opinions seriously.

Bob's rankings are definitely the best ones, but Pronman's last mock drafts before the draft are usually pretty predictive as well, at least for the top 10. He has good connections with NHL scouts, and last year he had Carlsson, Fantilli, Smith, Reinbacher and Michkov in the right order. In 2022 the same thing with Slafkovsky, Cooley, Wright, Gauthier and Kasper (he had Nemec and Jiricek the wrong way around).

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Its mock draft. So technically everything can happen.

Overall I mostly ignore Button this days. I can be not agree with Pronman but at least he iswatching this players and watching them a lot.
I'm happy with this because if I saw one more mock draft with Sennecke projected to the Devils I was going to literally vomit.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I'm happy with this because if I saw one more mock draft with Sennecke projected to the Devils I was going to literally vomit.
hehe
1 Parekh
2 Yakemchuk
3 Connely
4 Catton
5 Levshunov
6 Silayev
7 Eiserman
8 Greentree
9 Jiricek
10 Sennecke
11 Celebrini
12 Lindstrom
13 Demidov
14 Buium
15 Dickinson
16 Nygard
17 Helenius
18 Hage
19 Solberg
20 Chernyshov
21 Iginla
22 Emery
23 Beaudoin
24 Surin
25 Ritchie
26 Luchanko
27 Ustnikov
28 He
29 Muggli
30 Kol
31 Mustard
32 Swanson

I believe you will like this version of the first round.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
off-topic for StevenToddIves (not tagged on purpose - cause not really urgent).

What would you say were your 2 biggest misses over the course of your time doing this?
And what about your 2 biggest homeruns (outside of obvious top 10 people)?

Just curious - would appreciate the food for thought.

For fairness (and I don't look into this stuff like ya'll). I thought Kerby Rychel was going to be great from that 2013 draft.
My most recent miss which I sorely regret is easy, because I'm a huge Wyatt Johnston fan and I literally watch Dallas games just to watch him play. Johnston was drafted in the pandemic year, which made a lot of projection tough, especially for players in the OHL, who had their entire seasons cancelled. Still, Johnston was very, very good in every trackable respect and I should've paid more attention, especially during international play.

I'd say my most hilarious miss was Nolan Patrick over Nico Hischier. I mean, I can make fun of myself for this one forever and it's still not enough. Maybe @Guttersniped can invent a few more pejoratives for me.

My favorite hits have probably been Adam Fox and Brock Faber, both of whom I had rated as 1st rounders when the consensus had them as 3rd rounders.

Off-hand, here's my favorite misses and hits through the past 10 years:

Miss: Sonny Milano -- I had him as a top 10 pick, but I still blame Tortorella for ruining his development
Hit: Brendan Perlini -- a consensus guy around the top 10, I didn't like him for the top 20. Relied to much on his size, lacked intangibles.

Miss: Mikko Rantanen -- everyone else had him top 10, I had him #19. Oops.
Hit: Ethan Bear -- no one else knew who he was, I fell in love with him while scouting Barzal in Seattle and had him as an early 2nd rounder. Sure, he wasn't a star, but he has a solid NHL career and I can probably say I was the only guy with him in my top 100.

Miss: German Rubtsov -- I had him in the mid-1st, a bit higher than consensus. As it turned out, all 4 of his NHL games were bad.
Hit: Adam Fox -- I remember someone writing that I was a troll for ranking him in the 1st round and Lucas Johansen in the 2nd. I wish I remembered that guy's email address.
Other Hit: Henrik Borgstrom -- the analytic folks loved him, I preferred players who knew how to skate.

Miss: Nolan Patrick -- please no one ever ever ever mention him again
Hit: Lias Andersson -- the only time I've ever been called out for being "anti-Rangers" was when I called this "the worst pick in the first round" (I had him as a 2nd rounder, Rangers took him #7 overall). As it turned out, I was being pro-Rangers by simply letting them know how mediocre this player was.

Miss: Jett Woo -- I'm pretty sure I called him "the steal of the 2nd round".
Hit: K'Andre Miller -- I was the only guy on earth with him in my top 10.
Other Hit: Filip Johansson -- I said Minnesota would be lucky if he played one game in the NHL. On second thought, they're probably lucky he did not.

Miss: Alex Turcotte -- I absolutely loved him at #3 overall, but I haven't given up yet.
Hit: Has to be Moritz Seider, who many had in the 2nd round and I wouldn't shut up about being a worthy top 10 pick. This is connected to Philip Broberg, who I had in the 2nd round and wound up being forced to write a million pages on why Seider was better.

Miss: Jan Mysak -- I loved the kid in the mid-1st round, just never panned out that way.
Hit: Easy -- Brock Faber. I guaranteed he would be better than Wallinder and Grans (both consensus 1st rounders) and was called a lot of names for my trouble.

Miss: Wyatt Johnston -- nope, I'm not as smart as I think I am
Hit: Stanislav Svozil and Ethan Del Mastro -- I had them both as 1st rounders and think they are both rounding out into very good defensemen

I guess it's still too early to delve too much further. But I have always tried to isolate my mistakes and learn from them, as well as hone my successes in order to improve upon them. Over the years, I think I've been a bit better than the consensus with forwards, a lot better than the consensus with defensemen, and maybe the worst of anyone on planet Earth with goalies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
My most recent miss which I sorely regret is easy, because I'm a huge Wyatt Johnston fan and I literally watch Dallas games just to watch him play. Johnston was drafted in the pandemic year, which made a lot of projection tough, especially for players in the OHL, who had their entire seasons cancelled. Still, Johnston was very, very good in every trackable respect and I should've paid more attention, especially during international play.

I'd say my most hilarious miss was Nolan Patrick over Nico Hischier. I mean, I can make fun of myself for this one forever and it's still not enough. Maybe @Guttersniped can invent a few more pejoratives for me.

My favorite hits have probably been Adam Fox and Brock Faber, both of whom I had rated as 1st rounders when the consensus had them as 3rd rounders.

Miss: Sonny Milano -- I had him as a top 10 pick, but I still blame Tortorella for ruining his development
Hit: Brendan Perlini -- a consensus guy around the top 10, I didn't like him for the top 20. Relied to much on his size, lacked intangibles.

Hit: Ethan Bear -- no one else knew who he was, I fell in love with him while scouting Barzal in Seattle and had him as an early 2nd rounder. Sure, he wasn't a star, but he has a solid NHL career and I can probably say I was the only guy with him in my top 100.

Miss: German Rubtsov -- I had him in the mid-1st, a bit higher than consensus. As it turned out, all 4 of his NHL games were bad.
Hit: Adam Fox -- I remember someone writing that I was a troll for ranking him in the 1st round and Lucas Johansen in the 2nd. I wish I remembered that guy's email address.
Other Hit: Henrik Borgstrom -- the analytic folks loved him, I preferred players who knew how to skate.

Hit: Lias Andersson -- the only time I've ever been called out for being "anti-Rangers" was when I called this "the worst pick in the first round" (I had him as a 2nd rounder, Rangers took him #7 overall). As it turned out, I was being pro-Rangers by simply letting them know how mediocre this player was.

Other Hit: Filip Johansson -- I said Minnesota would be lucky if he played one game in the NHL. On second thought, they're probably lucky he did not.

Miss: Alex Turcotte -- I absolutely loved him at #3 overall, but I haven't given up yet.
Hit: Has to be Moritz Seider, who many had in the 2nd round and I wouldn't shut up about being a worthy top 10 pick. This is connected to Philip Broberg, who I had in the 2nd round and wound up being forced to write a million pages on why Seider was better.

Miss: Jan Mysak -- I loved the kid in the mid-1st round, just never panned out that way.
Hit: Easy -- Brock Faber. I guaranteed he would be better than Wallinder and Grans (both consensus 1st rounders) and was called a lot of names for my trouble.

Hit: Stanislav Svozil and Ethan Del Mastro -- I had them both as 1st rounders and think they are both rounding out into very good defensemen

I guess it's still too early to delve too much further. But I have always tried to isolate my mistakes and learn from them, as well as hone my successes in order to improve upon them. Over the years, I think I've been a bit better than the consensus with forwards, a lot better than the consensus with defensemen, and maybe the worst of anyone on planet Earth with goalies.

I remember liking Mysak. He was fun. Who doesn’t like fun.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey

Surprised you got flack for this. Pretty sure a lot of people were at least mildly surprised considering I think he was more of a mid 1st projected guy. It's funny tho they absolutely robbed the Coyotes getting this pick from trading Derrick Stephan, only to pick Andersson while 5 of the next 6 selections became top 6 forwards and the last one is a 3C

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
I’m not opposed to Solberg as by all accounts he seems like a great prospect. With that said, I will be annoyed if Fitz were to take him at 10OA. This is a perfect trade down situation. Acquire a second round pick and add another prospect or use it in a trade for a top forward (I know it’d take more than a 2nd but I think Ehlers would be perfect for the Devils…too bad he’s a UFA in ‘25.). Fitz has done many great things in his tenure as GM but an area that he needs vast improvement in is how to work the draft (see Muk which was a reach at 20OA). I fully understand that sometimes a trade is just not there to be made so I won’t be overly critical. However, if the same situation unfolds yet again and a pattern has emerged, I will recant my last sentence.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I’m not opposed to Solberg as by all accounts he seems like a great prospect. With that said, I will be annoyed if Fitz were to take him at 10OA. This is a perfect trade down situation. Acquire a second round pick and add another prospect or use it in a trade for a top forward (I know it’d take more than a 2nd but I think Ehlers would be perfect for the Devils…too bad he’s a UFA in ‘25.). Fitz has done many great things in his tenure as GM but an area that he needs vast improvement in is how to work the draft (see Muk which was a reach at 20OA). I fully understand that sometimes a trade is just not there to be made so I won’t be overly critical. However, if the same situation unfolds yet again and a pattern has emerged, I will recant my last sentence.

Fitz doesn't do trades. He'll just take the guy he likes at his spot and call it a day.

Shero was the one who made a bunch of trades each draft.

Reactions: longislanddevil

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I’m not sure why people keep saying this kind of stuff. It gets no less annoying and stupid. Just because some media people have a player that ranked lower than where they are picked, doesn’t mean the team could’ve traded down and still gotten that player. Its a really stupid assumption.

For all we know the team picking 21st would have taken Mukhammadullin. Or one of the others just after. For all we know if we trade back one of the next teams will take Solberg. If we like a player enough to take him there, you can bet there’s a pretty good chance others in the area do as well. If you like a player and think he’s worthy of being picked there you take him.

There’s only two reasons to trade down. One is because you’re being offered a trade that is too valuable to pass up. The other is if you have a bunch of equally ranked prospects and are still sure to get one of them. Neither of those reasons is that public models have him lower than we’re picking so he’ll definitely still be available. That’s stupid and those media rankings don’t mean a damn thing once draft day comes.

If you got a guy and think he’s the best there, you take him regardless of where the media has him.

Sorry for the slightly aggressive tone in this post but people complaining about not trading down because a player was considered a “reach” annoys the shit out of me.

Last edited:

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
To add on to the post above there was a main board thread from the guy who runs the prospect black book or something. He mentioned in one of his posts that scouts generally have somewhat different lists then all the online/media lists which just tend to kind of copy copy each other. In 2019, aside from Detroit I bet at least a few teams had Seider top 10 on their board so they took him at #6 rather than trade back. I could definitely see that being a similar case with Solberg, shut down defender, physical, good skater, apparently killed his interviews at the combine. He has lots of qualities NHL GMs love (similar to Dickinson in that sense).

I do feel like our draft day trade in 2016 of swapping #11 and #12 was probably bc Shero made it known he was trying to move back from #11 and Ottawa quickly offered a 3rd to make sure no one jumped them to grab Logan Brown

BTW are there any cases/rumors of us trying to trade up/down in recent history? Last I remember is that Shero apparently wanted to use our 2nds in 2015 to get into the late 1st and grab Konecny but Vancouver didn't budge and took Boeser

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00