Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
This is the sentence you’re characterizing in that way: …”I’m guessing when most of your viewings took place is going to color how you see the player.” You took such great offense to this. Seems a little defensive…hmm. Have a good one!
Didn’t take any offense to it. Just corrected you because you’ve continuously incorrectly suggested that. Happy to help

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
There see a lot.
Ducks need RD much more but still an option.
Arizona can do both. Centers is a need for them too. Geekie isn't sure thing. But could be a winger. But defense is a huge need. And they were not afraid to draft Simashev year ago.(who was better prospect)
As Seattle. They have Beniers, Wright and Forks as centers.
Ottawa needs RD much more but LD is an option.
Calgary needs in first D and first center. Iginla could be available for them too.

So it could be two teams in top 9, it could be more.

You prefer to draft for paper upside, I prefer to draft for NHL upside with skill. Agree to disagree.

“paper upside” lol. Yeah a guy like Catton could never be a great NHLer. Only would ever succeed on paper.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Saw an interesting mock from Graviteh on YouTube. Has the Devils trading down four spots, while picking up Dman Mario Ferarro from the Sharks. Devils select Brandsegg-Nygard at #14. Something like that could be pretty sweet.

I think that’d be very dumb. He’s worse than Siegs who is making basically the same money. He’s worse than Walman who is also making basically the same money and had negative value. It makes absolutely no sense to do that move.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I think that’d be very dumb. He’s worse than Siegs who is making basically the same money. He’s worse than Walman who is also making basically the same money and had negative value. It makes absolutely no sense to do that move.
If I'm trading down to #14, I'd rather just get that 2nd round pick back and a shot at a guy like Shuravin, Mustard, Ustinkov or Muggli. I don't mind Ferraro but he's pretty much just "a guy" and I don't see how that would be worth moving back for. Then again, I'm a draftnik idiot. and just want more picks all the time.

Normal Devil

Mar 16, 2014
I don't know if Ferraro is the right guy to acquire, but the Devils need a LD to replace Bahl. Ferraro plays top top pair in SJ, and that's clearly above his skill level, which in turn makes his numbers look like garbage. He'd be better playing in a second or third pairing. He is a physical guy and the Devils could use some of that. Anyway . Point was that maybe the Devils can acquire a DMan with a slight trade down, while still getting a good prospect in round one.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
You got me, the Sennecke homer hyper fixated on one guy. Oh, what’s this?:

View attachment 887279

I do question the board consensus about the player. I’ve read too much to the contrary. Sorry that offends. Maybe stop responding to my posts? In this case I was literally responding to a post about the player in this thread when you butted your ass in, aggressively as always.
I'm not sure how my feelings on Helenius awhile back affect your argument with @Captain3rdLine about Sennecke. But I will agree that Helenius is a sensible pick for NJ, seeing as he plays center, he plays a 200-foot game, he's very good in every respect, he's got elite intangibles and he's not too far from the NHL.

Just to set the record straight (and I'm not sure when the above quote is from) right now I'm more leaning Brandsegg-Nygard unless an elite LD like Buium or Dickinson is available. I would also be thrilled with some other players such as Solberg, Iginla or Chernyshov. I love Catton but don't feel he's the right fit in New Jersey -- still, he's so talented I'd be okay with the pick. Eiserman is a guy I'm cautious about, so I'm not sure how I'd feel if he were the guy despite the fact his offensive upside is only behind Celebrini, Demidov and maybe Lindstrom in this entire draft.

In terms of fit with the Devils, I would also add Hage and Beaudoin and maybe Surin, though those three would probably make better sense in a trade-down scenario. Hage is a guy I've said you should watch because over the last 20 or so games of the year, there was no forward in this entire draft aside from the top names of Celebrini, Demidov and maybe Catton who were as dominant offensively.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
“paper upside” lol. Yeah a guy like Catton could never be a great NHLer. Only would ever succeed on paper.
You are putting different mean in the "paper upside". Doesn't mean false or something like that. It does mean - on paper he should be successful,
If you will read my posts about Catton you will find words about Panarin level potential.

Chill, man. If you like guys with "higher ceilimg", its okay, guy like Pronman and Scouching agree with you. Doesn't mean every man from the boards should think the game in the same way. I spent enough time and enough posts to translate my vision why I think that Catton should be good but why he should restructuring his game.

And its exactly what you said

"I'd be happy with any of Silayev, Iginla, or Sennecke at 10 . Catton could very easily be the best player there when we're picking"

Silayev can't play with the puck under pressure, overall he isn't great with the puck. But should be great if he figures it out because of skating, size and positioning without the puck.
Sennecke is a big boy against small children - great with the puck on his stick and passenger without it with average skating. But should be great if he figure it out, because smooth hands, size, passing ability.
Iginla doesn't have separation speed and doesn't understand spaces well, he is good forechecker but we can't label him as a good defensive forward. But should be great if he figures it out because he is great with the puck, as a creator, as a controller.

All of them need to turn some corners and polish their game more. All of them have parts of their game that can limit their potential. Stil all of them have some great tools that promise high upside.
"Could be the best" is exactly potential dominatism on paper.

It is what it is.

Last edited:

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
Devils scout Mark Dennehy on Beckett Sennecke: “We interviewed him. I still don’t think he’s done growing. These kids have growth spurts at different stages. Last year he was this gangly sort of wiry, slippery player, who’s starting to mature physically. I know he finished incredibly well, but I didn’t mind his start. He’s one of those guys that, sometimes you can get fooled because you don’t see him all the time, and when you do he plays well — and I don’t think we’re fooled with Beckett — but I think he scored in every game I went to. That’s a good thing in my book. You look at the impact his injury at the end of the season had on that team and I think that speaks volumes. I don’t know if they were going to beat London anyways, but his absence was a major hole. Really crafty, slippery one-on-one player on the rush, good shot, sees the ice. I think he’s a winger, but a good one and very talented.”

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I don't know if Ferraro is the right guy to acquire, but the Devils need a LD to replace Bahl. Ferraro plays top top pair in SJ, and that's clearly above his skill level, which in turn makes his numbers look like garbage. He'd be better playing in a second or third pairing. He is a physical guy and the Devils could use some of that. Anyway . Point was that maybe the Devils can acquire a DMan with a slight trade down, while still getting a good prospect in round one.

Ferraro’s definitely not the right guy. You can also just sign a LD and get a different asset to trade back

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
If I'm trading down to #14, I'd rather just get that 2nd round pick back and a shot at a guy like Shuravin, Mustard, Ustinkov or Muggli. I don't mind Ferraro but he's pretty much just "a guy" and I don't see how that would be worth moving back for. Then again, I'm a draftnik idiot. and just want more picks all the time.

Yeah if we’re set on like MBN and moving back to 14 I’d be using that bizarre Isles/Hawks deal as a framework and would be looking to get back our 2nd from SJ to move down

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
Devils scout Mark Dennehy on Beckett Sennecke: “We interviewed him. I still don’t think he’s done growing. These kids have growth spurts at different stages. Last year he was this gangly sort of wiry, slippery player, who’s starting to mature physically. I know he finished incredibly well, but I didn’t mind his start. He’s one of those guys that, sometimes you can get fooled because you don’t see him all the time, and when you do he plays well — and I don’t think we’re fooled with Beckett — but I think he scored in every game I went to. That’s a good thing in my book. You look at the impact his injury at the end of the season had on that team and I think that speaks volumes. I don’t know if they were going to beat London anyways, but his absence was a major hole. Really crafty, slippery one-on-one player on the rush, good shot, sees the ice. I think he’s a winger, but a good one and very talented.”
is dennehy on these boards :sarcasm: pretty striking difference between:

Konsta "We really like him" Helenius
Sam "We really, really like him" Dickinson
and
Beckett "We interviewed him" Sennecke

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
So hard to judge Ferraro given how bad the Sharks are.

He did lead the team in 5v5 toi/gm as well as PK toi/gm at a very heavy 3 minutes per.

So yeah his numbers stink, but grain of salt.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

and
I admit that is pretty funny, but he still paints a pretty positive picture. Granted no one is going on record to rip a kid pre draft.

Reactions: My3Sons and evnted

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

and

That make me nervous. Could he be downplaying Senecke cause he wants him and doesn't want another team to pick him higher?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Just checked Sennecke's Ottawa team to see if I could glean anything from him missing games. First glance, nothing to see.

But I did notice that Ottawa's leading playoff goal scorer is a 6'7" caveman looking guy who was drafted by the Rag's last year. Had a 100 PIM's in the reg season. I know I was more wary of the Rempe effect then many on this board, but I really don't like the idea of the Rag's having a bunch of giant goon's who are going to come in and pummel our guys.

I know this has the potential for an unnecessary tangent, so to bring this back on topic, if we combine our biggest rival having recently embarrassed us physicality, with a big heavy Florida team winning the cup, and Fitz already having been leaning away from speed and towards size, I think we may see Fitz put a heavy emphasis on heavier players.

Wonder if Fitz leans away from a guy like Helenius because of that.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Just checked Sennecke's Ottawa team to see if I could glean anything from him missing games. First glance, nothing to see.

But I did notice that Ottawa's leading playoff goal scorer is a 6'7" caveman looking guy who was drafted by the Rag's last year. Had a 100 PIM's in the reg season. I know I was more wary of the Rempe effect then many on this board, but I really don't like the idea of the Rag's having a bunch of giant goon's who are going to come in and pummel our guys.

I know this has the potential for an unnecessary tangent, so to bring this back on topic, if we combine our biggest rival having recently embarrassed us physicality, with a big heavy Florida team winning the cup, and Fitz already having been leaning away from speed and towards size, I think we may see Fitz put a heavy emphasis on heavier players.

Not important but it’s Oshawa not Ottawa. If the Rangers want to fill their line up with big goons let them. It won’t pay off IMO.

I agree that Fitz is going for that but think it’s stupid and costly. There isn’t one formula to a cup winning team, Edmonton was really fast, and even Florida had some good skaters.
But I’m a big believer in building your team and playstyle around your stars. We have a fast skilled group of top forwards. We had success when our lineup was a fast skilled lineup. Building a big tough bottom 6 and trying to play that type of game and then throwing Jack Hughes and Jesper Bratt on the ice won’t work. We need guys that win battles and are hard to play against but not at the complete expense of our speed. As long as our core is what it is we should be trying to outskate other teams.

If our core was built around Matthew Tkachuk, and Barkov I’d say build up a big physical team. Even then you need some speed as they did.

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey

If most of them have as much "skill" as rempe im fine with it lol.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Helenius is not big, but he's far from soft. I'd grade his physicality as a plus, not a minus. He's also extremely competitive both on and off the puck.

But I'm starting to very much lean towards a belief that the Devils pick will be either Brandsegg-Nygard or a LD from the group of Dickinson, Buium and Solberg. I'd be a bit surprised if it were anyone else to be honest, though it bears noting that there are certain to be a few surprises at the 2024 draft.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
The Athletic did an article on the consensus ranking, combining the rankings of Pronman, Wheeler, Peters, Button & McKenzie's list.

Here's how the top 20 netted out:

ConsensusPlayerPositionPronmanWheelerPetersButtonMcKenzieRange
1Macklin CelebriniC111110
2Ivan DemidovRW823226
3Artyom LevshunovRHD232836
4Zeev BuiumLHD546473
5Anton SilayevLHD4941248
6Zayne ParekhRHD958784
7Cayden LindstromC10107955
8Sam DickinsonLHD11691065
9Berkly CattonC68514129
10Tij IginlaC/W13121231010
11Konsta HeleniusC141113698
12Carter YakemchukRHD31310151312
T13Beckett SenneckeRW7161111119
T13Cole EisermanLW1671451411
15Michael Brandsegg-NygardRW17141517173
16Adam JiricekRHD15221619167
17Stian SolbergLHD122125202013
18Michael HageC251517212410
19Trevor ConnellyLW241720271512
T20Igor ChernyshovLW18231924216
T20Jett LuchankoC193118181913

Aside from Celebrini, the consensus #1, Buium and Nygard had the lowest range of picks - with both players within 3 spots of each other across the lists.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Not important but it’s Oshawa not Ottawa. If the Rangers want to fill their line up with big goons let them. It won’t pay off IMO.

I agree that Fitz is going for that but think it’s stupid and costly. There isn’t one formula to a cup winning team, Edmonton was really fast, and even Florida had some good skaters.
But I’m a big believer in building your team and playstyle around your stars. We have a fast skilled group of top forwards. We had success when our lineup was a fast skilled lineup. Building a big tough bottom 6 and trying to play that type of game and then throwing Jack Hughes and Jesper Bratt on the ice won’t work. We need guys that win battles and are hard to play against but not at the complete expense of our speed. As long as our core is what it is we should be trying to outskate other teams.

If our core was built around Matthew Tkachuk, and Barkov I’d say build up a big physical team. Even then you need some speed as they did.
I think you're right. The Devils lost a huge amount of team speed over the past few seasons. This is one of the reasons why I really like guys like Nygard or Solberg or Dickinson for the #10 pick -- they add to the team speed while also giving a huge boost to team compete level and physicality.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Eh, it’s no secret that Rangers have been drafting for size, grit and hard-to-play-against-ness for years. They aren’t the only ones. (Detroit has drafted a bunch of giant defensemen, though they just traded one.)

Fitz can put an emphasis on heavier players, but they typically take longer to develop, particularly projects taken in later rounds.

Heavier players cost more in trades, for example the ridiculous return for Tanner Jeannot. And they’ll get ridiculous UFA deals, for example what Joshua or Zadorov are rumored to get.

We’ll have to stick to speed/skill for awhile, I don’t see how we suddenly get these heavier players. And we just got rid of our heaviest defender. (Don’t give me the “he didn’t play physical” line, Bahl was our most physical defenseman.)

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Eh, it’s no secret that Rangers have been drafting for size, grit and hard-to-play-against-ness for years. They aren’t the only ones. (Detroit has drafted a bunch of giant defensemen, though they just traded one.)

Fitz can put an emphasis on heavier players, but they typically take longer to develop, particularly projects taken in later rounds.

Heavier players cost more in trades, for example the ridiculous return for Tanner Jeannot. And they’ll get ridiculous UFA deals, for example what Joshua or Zadorov are rumored to get.

We’ll have to stick to speed/skill for awhile, I don’t see how we suddenly get these heavier players. And we just got rid of our heaviest defender. (Don’t give me the “he didn’t play physical” line, Bahl was our most physical defenseman.)
Well you can draft a guy like Nygard or Solberg. Nygard is actually pretty close to the NHL, especially relative to a non-top 5 pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad