Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Wasn't Button's final mock going to come out after Bob's list, guess its still airing live? Despite the randomness of his rankings I think some here said his final mock usually does pretty well near the top of the draft thanks to his connections.
I don’t know who might have said that but I highly doubt that’s true at all. Might be consuming Mackenzie’s rankings and Button’s mock.

Separate post:
At this point I’m hoping Buium drop. If not Solberg please.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
What is the criticism of Beckett Sennecke? I saw him listed in some mock drafts for Devils. It made me curious about his scouting report.

Would he be a good fit at 10 for the Devils?

Beckett Senneke #10 for Devils
There’s a lot in here if you read back. Personally don’t like him because I don’t think he’s all that skilled or talented to be worthy of a pick this high.

Reactions: devilsfan950003

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Damn, depressing if it works out this way. Iginla is fine but there are others I would prefer based on my limited viewing.
Dude Tij has to get past Calgary at #9. Calgary's GM is one of Jerome Iginla's closest friends. Iginla is quite possibly the greatest legend in Calgary sports history.

Not saying it's impossible Tij falls to #10, but we have to logically realize it's very unlikely.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Dude Tij has to get past Calgary at #9. Calgary's GM is one of Jerome Iginla's closest friends. Iginla is quite possibly the greatest legend in Calgary sports history.

Not saying it's impossible Tij falls to #10, but we have to logically realize it's very unlikely.
So may be Jarome by himself will ask Conroy to not draft his son. Imagine to have your son on the line with Jack Hughes potentially. Thats much more shiny, thats much more money.
What is the criticism of Beckett Sennecke? I saw him listed in some mock drafts for Devils. It made me curious about his scouting report.

Average skating, below average defensive game, average game without the puck in O zone, lack of positional game, cheating on the stuff that is working greatly against smaller juniors but big part of it will not work against NHLers, especially on the Sennecke's speed.
Still very good to great stickhandling, passing, good shooting, physical potential.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

It's such a tough spot for Calgary and Conroy. Wouldn't shock me if he was secretly hoping tij was gone by 9

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I don’t know who might have said that but I highly doubt that’s true at all. Might be consuming Mackenzie’s rankings and Button’s mock.

Separate post:
At this point I’m hoping Buium drop. If not Solberg please.
I think the most likely of the generally top-rated defensemen to drop from the top 10 are Buium or Parekh, because NHL front offices historically value size with defensemen more than draft writers.

If I'm ranking hockey IQ among the 2024 eligible defenders, I think Buium is an easy call at the top of the list. He's just so advanced in his thinking of the game -- on both sides of the puck, in transition, and situationally. He's a high skill player who skates very well. The kid is a gamer.

Solberg is a different kind of player but I'm going to re-state that he would be an outstanding pick at #10 overall. We have to realize that the McKenzie rankings -- as well as my own -- are probably understating his excellence. Because, quite simply, no one really watched Norway league hockey until Solberg started generating some buzz -- essentially, Solberg was a late-comer to the 1st Round Party. Honestly, I think the first time I tuned in to watch him in a game was December or January. This is my fault, I get it, but I would not be surprised if many "draft experts" did not bother watching him until the world tourney.

Solberg is a terrific skater and defender who is smart and can match the compete level of any defenseman in the entire 2024 class. He hits like a mack truck and is deceptively smooth in transition. He's more of a reactor than an anticipator, but the same can be said for Silayev or Dickinson. And it's not a stretch to say he deserves to be mentioned both ability-wise and upside-wise with those two more highly regarded players.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

There's a ton on this thread written about it in the past 15 or so pages, because a few writers mocked Sennecke to the Devils.

I personally do not find him to be a realistic target for #10 overall, because I don't see him in the same talent tier as other forwards who will be available. He is an elite puck-handler and terrific passer who also shoots well -- his highlight reel is as fun as any player in the draft class aside from perhaps Demidov and Catton and Parekh.

But it's important to realize that Sennecke's upside has perhaps been a bit overstated. Though he's certainly capable of becoming a top-6 scoring wing at the NHL level, his offensive skills are not even in the same tier with players like Demidov, Eiserman and Catton. We also need to factor in that he has weaknesses which most top 10 wingers -- even at higher skill levels -- do not: consistency of compete level, 200-foot play, willingness to engage physically, thinking of the game off the puck. This is why I'd consider him more of a player for the #15-#20 range.

We can simplify this by separating top 6 forwards as "line drivers" or "Complimentary players". The Devils current have three players in their top 6 we could describe as "line drivers" in Hughes, Hischier and Bratt. These players usually need elite skill, and they need to have the puck on their stick a lot to play their best.

My concern with Sennecke is he is stylistically a "line driver" but he is not even close to the skill or speed of a Hughes, Hischier or Bratt. So I'm not sure he would be able to possess the puck enough to succeed in New Jersey, and he's not a great forechecker or finisher. We also have to consider the fact that, of all the forwards mentioned as possible top 20 picks, Sennecke is possibly the furthest away from the NHL. He's still growing into his body and he has a ton to work on in his play off the puck. I think he's at least 3 years from the NHL, maybe more. Players like Helenius and Nygard and maybe even Catton are probably going to be vying for NHL roles as soon as 2025-26.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

Our board specifically is very down on him. Doesn’t reflect the broader scouting community though.

IMG_1915.jpeg

That blurb is worth posting again. This scout did not like the player early in the year. And he got better and better every month. So I’m guessing when most of your viewings took place is going to color how you see the player.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS

Calgary is in no position to draft a winger ahead of a center or defensmen at this point, it isn’t like Iginla is a tier ahead of the guys available.

Reactions: Guadana

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Our board specifically is very down on him. Doesn’t reflect the broader scouting community though.

View attachment 887174

That blurb is worth posting again. This scout did not like the player early in the year. And he got better and better every month. So I’m guessing when most of your viewings took place is going to color how you see the player.
Or you saw him second half and have seen all the highlights and still just don’t think he’s that great of a player worth that high of a pick.

Reactions: My3Sons and Guadana

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Or you saw him second half and have seen all the highlights and still just don’t think he’s that great of a player worth that high of a pick.
Would be strange considering his production was great in the second half plus a dominant playoffs, while putting up flashy highlights, great tracked microstats, and wowing much of the professional scouting community. Which is why he rocketed up the rankings. But your opinion is your opinion. It’s a circular conversation that I’m not interested in, especially considering I don’t watch junior hockey.

He’s a reach at 10 on this board but not really elsewhere.

Reactions: My3Sons

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Would be strange considering his production was great in the second half plus a dominant playoffs, while putting up flashy highlights, great tracked microstats, and wowing much of the professional scouting community. Which is why he rocketed up the rankings. But your opinion is your opinion. It’s a circular conversation that I’m not interested in, especially considering I don’t watch junior hockey.

He’s a reach at 10 on this board but not really elsewhere.
Nothing strange about it. Not sure why you think so and keep trying to explain it as anything other than people on this board not being as high on him.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Nothing strange about it. Not sure why you think so and keep trying to explain it as anything other than people on this board not being as high on him.
How many of the Oshawa Generals games that you watched were from before January and how many after? Did you think he found another level in the playoffs or played the same as in your earlier viewings?

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
How many of the Oshawa Generals games that you watched were from before January and how many after? Did you think he found another level in the playoffs or played the same as in your earlier viewings?
The vast majority of the games I’ve watched of any prospect are second half of the season because I was very busy for a large portion of the season. Most of the watching I’ve done has been in the last couple of months and I try to watch as many more recent games as possible.

His production certainly increased in the second half of the season but it’s very unlikely that skillset and overall talent level significantly increased.
And that’s one of my biggest issues with the scouting community and fans when it comes to prospects. A guys starts producing more or playing better at a lower level and he’s all of the sudden a significantly better prospect. Players and especially young ones in leagues like these that are continuously changing are gonna have good season’s, bad seasons, good stretches, bad stretches, good games, bad games. You want to pay attention to this and production and it can obviously signify growth and development. But too much stock is put in it.

There is no doubt that Sennecke is a damn good OHL player and that he became a better one as the season went on. Does that mean he’s a way better prospect than he was at the start of the season? To me it doesn’t. He’s probably improved in some areas that have made him a better prospect and the production and improved play is a great sign and raises his stock but unless he’s become a significantly more talented player than he was he’s not a significantly better prospect.

Now all but one game I watched of him was in the second half of the season when he was doing much better. From these viewings I don’t think he’s skilled or talented enough to take 10th overall.
Now I don’t know what your issue is or if you’re related to him, but there’s nothing remotely weird about a bunch of people in here not being as high on him. It happens all the time with prospects and it doesn’t warrant you coming in multiple days in a row to continuously question if we don’t like him as much for reasons other than thinking other prospects are better.

Was it you calling him a top 10 lock the other day too? And then saying wait till Mckenzie’s rankings came out (in which he isn’t even in the top 10). I don’t remember if that was you but regardless It’s getting weird at this point man. We don’t like him as much. And it’s not just because of when in the season we watched him which I think you’ve asked 10+ times.

Apologies for the long rambling post.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
The vast majority of the games I’ve watched of any prospect are second half of the season because I was very busy for a large portion of the season. Most of the watching I’ve done has been in the last couple of months and I try to watch as many more recent games as possible.

His production certainly increased in the second half of the season but it’s very unlikely that skillset and overall talent level significantly increased.
And that’s one of my biggest issues with the scouting community and fans when it comes to prospects. A guys starts producing more or playing better at a lower level and he’s all of the sudden a significantly better prospect. Players and especially young ones in leagues like these that are continuously changing are gonna have good season’s, bad seasons, good stretches, bad stretches, good games, bad games. You want to pay attention to this and production and it can obviously signify growth and development. But too much stock is put in it.

There is no doubt that Sennecke is a damn good OHL player and that he became a better one as the season went on. Does that mean he’s a way better prospect than he was at the start of the season? To me it doesn’t. He’s probably improved in some areas that have made him a better prospect and the production and improved play is a great sign and raises his stock but unless he’s become a significantly more talented player than he was he’s not a significantly better prospect.

Now all but one game I watched of him was in the second half of the season when he was doing much better. From these viewings I don’t think he’s skilled or talented enough to take 10th overall.
Now I don’t know what your issue is or if you’re related to him, but there’s nothing remotely weird about a bunch of people in here not being as high on him. It happens all the time with prospects and it doesn’t warrant you coming in multiple days in a row to continuously question if we don’t like him as much for reasons other than thinking other prospects are better.

Was it you calling him a top 10 lock the other day too? And then saying wait till Mckenzie’s rankings came out (in which he isn’t even in the top 10). I don’t remember if that was you but regardless It’s getting weird at this point man. We don’t like him as much. And it’s not just because of when in the season we watched him which I think you’ve asked 10+ times.

Apologies for the long rambling post.
It’s weird to discuss a prospect that is very much in play for our pick? He hasn’t been according to the Devils HF brain trust, but he almost certainly is in play in reality. Seems appropriate to discuss this player.

You’re the one being weird, man. Look how wrong this was with Bob having him at…11: “Anyway, the Vegas odds are moving in the direction of him being a top 10 pick with some others going the other way. Almost across the board, the newer the mock, the higher he’s going. Again, let’s continue this talk when Bob’s list is out.”

Wow, I’ve been exposed.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
It’s weird to discuss a prospect that is very much in play for our pick? He hasn’t been according to the Devils HF brain trust, but he almost certainly is in play in reality. Seems appropriate to discuss this player.

You’re the one being weird, man. Look how wrong this was with Bob having him at…11: “Anyway, the Vegas odds are moving in the direction of him being a top 10 pick with some others going the other way. Almost across the board, the newer the mock, the higher he’s going. Again, let’s continue this talk when Bob’s list is out.”

Wow, I’ve been exposed.
What site are you using for draft odds?

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

Wow, I’ve been exposed.
No it’s weird to spend countless days adamantly and continuously questioning other people’s opinions without providing your own and just by saying this is what the media says and you must not have watched the right part of his season. And it’s not like you’ve been talking about all the posibilities. Just hyper focused on questioning any negative opinions about one guy.

What have I said that’s weird? Name one thing that’s remotely weird that I’ve said. Please.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Wow, I’ve been exposed.

I just always assumed you were related to Bennett Sennecke, since there’s no other way to explain why you’re fixated on a prospect who only came #11 on Bob’s list.

Anyway, back to discussing a board fav who’s #17.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
No it’s weird to spend countless days adamantly and continuously questioning other people’s opinions without providing your own and just by saying this is what the media says and you must not have watched the right part of his season. And it’s not like you’ve been talking about all the posibilities. Just hyper focused on questioning any negative opinions about one guy.

What have I said that’s weird? Name one thing that’s remotely weird that I’ve said. Please.
You got me, the Sennecke homer hyper fixated on one guy. Oh, what’s this?:

IMG_1921.jpeg

I do question the board consensus about the player. I’ve read too much to the contrary. Sorry that offends. Maybe stop responding to my posts? In this case I was literally responding to a post about the player in this thread when you butted your ass in, aggressively as always.

Reactions: HBK27 and My3Sons

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
You got me, the Sennecke homer hyper fixated on one guy. Oh, what’s this?:

View attachment 887279

I do question the board consensus about the player. I’ve read too much to the contrary. Sorry that offends. Maybe stop responding to my posts? In this case I was literally responding to a post about the player in this thread when you butted your ass in, aggressively as always.
There was nothing aggressive about it even if you don’t like it. There also no such thing as butting in on a public forum man. If you just wanted to talk to that person send them a direct message. The reason I chose to respond is because you were once again for the hundredth time falsely suggesting despite being told the contrary multiple times, that the only reason people on this board don’t like him as much is because they watched the wrong part of his season. Happy to do so as much as I like.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
There was nothing aggressive about it even if you don’t like it. There also no such thing as butting in on a public forum man. If you just wanted to talk to that person send them a direct message. The reason I chose to respond is because you were once again for the hundredth time falsely suggesting despite being told the contrary multiple times, that the only reason people on this board don’t like him as much is because they watched the wrong part of his season. Happy to do so as much as I like.
This is the sentence you’re characterizing in that way: …”I’m guessing when most of your viewings took place is going to color how you see the player.” You took such great offense to this. Seems a little defensive…hmm. Have a good one!

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Well for starters you constantly chime in to say that Ben Lovejoy was the best dfenseman ever and then you bore us all to death droning on and on about your wife, kids, and dogs but other than that nothing comes to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad