Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Sennecke to mtl, Iginla to Calgary and Parekh/Yakemchuk to Uta(or to Seattle) would do wonders for Devils.
Including Celebrini and Levshunov, that's 5 slots of 9.

Leaving 4 picks for 5 top players -- Demidov, Lindstrom, Buium, Dickinson and Silayev. I think it would virtually guarantee one of those 5 guys to NJ. Although my preference would be to also insert Nygard into that conversation.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

Leaving 4 picks for 5 top players -- Demidov, Lindstrom, Buium, Dickinson and Silayev. I think it would virtually guarantee one of those 5 guys to NJ. Although my preference would be to also insert Nygard into that conversation.
Lindstrom will 100% be gone. Very likely Demidov too even though he’s Russian. Gotta think the effort he’s put in to show his commitment to the NHL as well as Michkov’s recent news makes it likely someone will take him there.

I previously said that Celebrini, Levshunov, and Lindstrom are guaranteed to be gone. Demidov next closest.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

I don't see any chance for Demidov and Lindstrom. As for Levshunov and Celebrini. There is a virtual chance for Lindstrom but I still dont believe. Just can't see how at least one from 8 teams will not try to risk with huge big center with physicality, shot, skating, speed, skill and interior play. Its impossible.

And I starting to think Silayev will be drafted before us.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Lindstrom will 100% be gone. Very likely Demidov too even though he’s Russian. Gotta think the effort he’s put in to show his commitment to the NHL as well as Michkov’s recent news makes it likely someone will take him there.

I previously said that Celebrini, Levshunov, and Lindstrom are guaranteed to be gone. Demidov next closest.
Ok, I'll take Zeev Buium, thank you very much.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Well, I have a few responses here for a fw points raised. First, no one on this board dislikes Sennecke -- we all have him as a 1st round pick. Second, no one on this board has dismissed Sennecke's puck-handling skill as anything short of elite -- he's a brilliant stickhandler and it's been stated and re-stated at length (he's also a great passer, great at zone entries, and a good shooter). Third, Mitch Brown obviously, like many in the draft community, not watched any Demidov film.

I will say it again -- Sennecke is not close to Demidov's tier, and they are similar-type players. They are not close now and their upsides aren't close. They are about equal as skaters, and Demidov is a level ahead of Sennecke in puck-handling and shooting, while being several levels above Sennecke in passing vision, hockey IQ, compete level, defensive play, physicality, pretty much anything else we can come up with.

Conversely, Sennecke is ahead of Demidov in being tall and being Canadian instead of Russian.

In a nutshell, no one is complaining about Sennecke being defined as good or 1st round worthy. The complaints are about the hype outweighing the possibility by a country mile. Another similar-type player to Sennecke is Berkly Catton -- what does Sennecke do better than Catton?

Ultimately, we should all be happy here because this overhyping is turning into a best-case scenario for New Jersey -- if Sennecke is drafted in the top 9, it will push a significantly superior prospect with significantly higher upside down to the Devils. I mean, how great would it be if a division rival like Columbus took Sennecke at #4 and passed up on a forward two to three tiers ahead of him like Demidov or Cayden Lindstrom? It would be cause for celebration.
No, no, my dislike for him is bordering on abhorrence.

But on a serious note, f*** off with the Senneckes and Cattons and other wussy skilled players. We have enough of these. I want a MBN or a Cherry-something-ov type and I think the team wants one too.

Time to complement what they have and at a ELC price. I don’t want to hear anymore dumb win now trades in a vacuum that don’t take salary cap and roster construction into account. People need to look at the 19-20 Dallas Star roster that lost in the finals and the one that just lost in the WCFs and what they’ve have done to replenish on the fly and stay competitive. Sure they haven’t won it and the had a home run draft when they got MH, JR and JO but that’s what I’m looking at as a plan for this team.

This team hasn’t shown enough consistency to just trade picks like their Tampa already and not think of the future and keeping the team competitive with a mix of value contracts and higher paid vets.

“You can get wingers anywhere or as UFAs” or blah I keep reading on this board and that isn’t remotely true. Draft what you need and enough with the bullshit. And if they bust, oh well, at least it didn’t cost dollars or assets.

Not directed at you STI, just need to rant and vent.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
What is your preference in order for the devils to pick (and which is most likely what the organization will do) between Buium Dickinson and MBN
Those are three players I'd all be thrilled with, to be honest. Buium is the best defenseman in the 2024 class in my book, so that would be something to celebrate at #10 overall. I'm a big fan of hockey IQ and compete level and Buium is elite in both respects while also being a very good skater with incredible offensive skill.

Dickinson fills a huge need on LD, and seems almost born to be paired with a Nemec. He's huge (6'3-210 or thereabouts) and combines high-end skating with physicality, character and very good play on both sides of the puck. I'm not sure he'll ever be an elite scorer, but he's going to put up an impressive amount of points while playing potentially a key shut-down role in any situation. He might not be the sexiest pick, but it's like a football team drafting a future all-pro left tackle -- it's something that may not be highlight-y or glamorous, but you'll need guys like Dickinson to win.

Nygard is being sorely undersold by the draft community. We're talking a high IQ forward with elite compete level and defensive play who is also physical as hell and a high-end skater. Outside of maybe Lindstrom, Nygard is the best-skating forward even mentioned as a possible top 10 pick for the 2024 draft. We're talking a potential future Mark Stone type -- winning battles all over the ice, crashing creases, scoring huge goals, maybe even nominated for a Selke Trophy or two. If he can also play center (which he looked good doing this past year in a limited role)? Look out.

It's hard to cite preference. I have them ranked 4,5,6 (Buium, Dickinson, Nygard) in my rankings so obviously I hold them in similar esteem.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

But on a serious note, f*** off with the Senneckes and Cattons and other wussy skilled players. We have enough of these. I want a MBN or a Cherry-something-ov type and I think the team wants one too.

Time to complement what they have and at a ELC price. I don’t want to hear anymore dumb win now trades in a vacuum that don’t take salary cap and roster construction into account. People need to look at the 19-20 Dallas Star roster that lost in the finals and the one that just lost in the WCFs and what they’ve have done to replenish on the fly and stay competitive. Sure they haven’t won it and the had a home run draft when they got MH, JR and JO but that’s what I’m looking at as a plan for this team.

This team hasn’t shown enough consistency to just trade picks like their Tampa already and not think of the future and keeping the team competitive with a mix of value contracts and higher paid vets.

“You can get wingers anywhere or as UFAs” or blah I keep reading on this board and that isn’t remotely true. Draft what you need and enough with the bullshit. And if they bust, oh well, at least it didn’t cost dollars or assets.

I love a top-6 offensive forward, to be sure. Which is to say that, if Demidov fell to #10, I would take him in a heartbeat. But guys like Catton and Sennecke aren't even close to Demidov in terms of upside. Demidov can lead the league in scoring one day, sometimes I watch him and see him as an even-more-skilled Kaprizov.

Catton would be fine if the Devils were confident he could be an NHL center. But on the wing, we're talking a slightly-slower Bratt-type -- a hell of a player to be sure, but not a distinct area of need for the Devils like some of the other player-types and positions being mentioned.

Sennecke's upside is as a point-per-game top 6 winger, which is valuable for sure. But the Devils are desperate for centers, more speed, more interior play, more physicality and more defense and I'm just not sure he would address any of those areas. Other forwards with equivalent upside will address several of these areas -- Nygard, Helenius, Chernyshov, Hage. So I just don't see him being a good match in NJ.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
I love a top-6 offensive forward, to be sure. Which is to say that, if Demidov fell to #10, I would take him in a heartbeat. But guys like Catton and Sennecke aren't even close to Demidov in terms of upside. Demidov can lead the league in scoring one day, sometimes I watch him and see him as an even-more-skilled Kaprizov.

Catton would be fine if the Devils were confident he could be an NHL center. But on the wing, we're talking a slightly-slower Bratt-type -- a hell of a player to be sure, but not a distinct area of need for the Devils like some of the other player-types and positions being mentioned.

Sennecke's upside is as a point-per-game top 6 winger, which is valuable for sure. But the Devils are desperate for centers, more speed, more interior play, more physicality and more defense and I'm just not sure he would address any of those areas. Other forwards with equivalent upside will address several of these areas -- Nygard, Helenius, Chernyshov, Hage. So I just don't see him being a good match in NJ.

Of course if Demidov, Iggy Jr., CL or any center worth the pick drop to #10, yes by all means, but Dickinson and Buium can go kick rocks. If the the two LDs are there, I’m listening to the best trade offer and moving out. This team needs forward depth desperately, as shown last year with the injuries and losing a center to a heinous act. Utica called me to play on their fourth line and I declined because the commute is a bitch.

With Luke, Simon, and some other interesting Dmen in the pipeline, no time to screw around. Get Jack a lunch pail wing who can shoot. I’m usually for BPA, but another first round D would drive me nuts. I can see the two high ranked LDs developing quicker than most, but D still take time overall to make two-way impact.

I just think unless someone really reaches, MBN is gift wrapped and tailor made for NJ and their needs. If you trade back, Cherryov and Hage should be there, potentially Konsta to Konsta too depending how far back. In this scenario where they pick up other assets, then Stian the Man would be ok too.

Reactions: evnted

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I don't see any chance for Demidov and Lindstrom. As for Levshunov and Celebrini. There is a virtual chance for Lindstrom but I still dont believe. Just can't see how at least one from 8 teams will not try to risk with huge big center with physicality, shot, skating, speed, skill and interior play. Its impossible.

And I starting to think Silayev will be drafted before us.

Starting? I’ve never thought Silayev would fall anywhere near 10.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I dont know. May be because there will be only 2 teams in top 9 who wants to draft LD. So im not sure about his availability.

He was 2 and 3 on Bob’s last 2 lists and 3 in Pronman’s last mock. Those are the 2 most accurate indicators or where players are likely to go. He’s not falling to 10

Last edited:

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
He was 2 and 3 on Bob’s last 2 lists and 3 in Pronman’s last mock. Those are the 2 most accurate indicators or where players are likely to go. He’s falling to 10
Okay, Im not against it. Silayev is a great prospect but his game with the puck is questionable. in O zone or in D zone. Iginla and Sennecke are higher on lists too, so I like how the situation can turn out for us.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Okay, Im not against it. Silayev is a great prospect but his game with the puck is questionable. in O zone or in D zone. Iginla and Sennecke are higher on lists too, so I like how the situation can turn out for us.

I meant to say not falling to 10. I'd love Silayev at 10 but he won't get there. Luke-Nemec top pair and Silayev-Dougie/Casey 2nd pair sure is something. I'd be happy with any of Silayev, Iginla, or Sennecke at 10 but wouldn't be surprised if none are there. I don't want Yakemchuk. MBN I like and think is fine and would be a good fit but I think it'd probably be leaving some value on the board. Helenius I'm not big on but again "fine" less fine with this than MBN. Catton could very easily be the best player there when we're picking but I just don't think they'd pick him.

Last edited:

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
I dont know. May be because there will be only 2 teams in top 9 who wants to draft LD. So im not sure about his availability.
Who are the two? I've seen a lot of teams mentioned as landing spots for LHD. Seattle strikes me as obvious. Seen Anaheim and Columbus mentioned that despite having some great defensive prospect they lack a true top pair shutdown type on the left side. Arizona I've seen mocked a LHD quite a bit and there was a rumor they liked Buium. Calgary fans seem to think they might go D as well. Also, if there is anyone I trust to make a random pick that doesn't make much sense it is Ottawa.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020

I prefer players with MBN’s skillset and am a big MBN fan in general, with that said this is the draft and there’s no guarantees when making the pick that you’ll get an NHLer let alone an impact one. If the Devils are higher on Catton and/or Sennecke and think they can be high impact NHLers then you take them and worry about fit later, if one of those guys turns into a High end top 6 forward that’s a great draft pick.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I meant to say not falling to 10. I'd love Silayev at 10 but he won't get there. Luke-Nemec top pair and Silayev-Dougie/Casey 2nd pair sure is something. I'd be happy with any of Silayev, Iginla, or Sennecke at 10 but wouldn't be surprised if none are there. I don't want Yakemchuk. MBN I like and think is fine and would be a good fit but I think it'd probably be leaving some value on the board. Helenius I'm not big on but again "fine" less fine with this than MBN. Catton could very easily be the best player there when we're picking but I just don't think they'd pick him.
I have Nygard at #6 overall, I don't think you're leaving value on the board by taking him at #10.

We just don't see high-compete physical power forwards who skate that well, think the game so well and play defense so well every year, or even every few years.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Who are the two? I've seen a lot of teams mentioned as landing spots for LHD. Seattle strikes me as obvious. Seen Anaheim and Columbus mentioned that despite having some great defensive prospect they lack a true top pair shutdown type on the left side. Arizona I've seen mocked a LHD quite a bit and there was a rumor they liked Buium. Calgary fans seem to think they might go D as well. Also, if there is anyone I trust to make a random pick that doesn't make much sense it is Ottawa.
There see a lot.
Ducks need RD much more but still an option.
Arizona can do both. Centers is a need for them too. Geekie isn't sure thing. But could be a winger. But defense is a huge need. And they were not afraid to draft Simashev year ago.(who was better prospect)
As Seattle. They have Beniers, Wright and Forks as centers.
Ottawa needs RD much more but LD is an option.
Calgary needs in first D and first center. Iginla could be available for them too.

So it could be two teams in top 9, it could be more.

You prefer to draft for paper upside, I prefer to draft for NHL upside with skill. Agree to disagree.

Reactions: Alex NJD

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I prefer players with MBN’s skillset and am a big MBN fan in general, with that said this is the draft and there’s no guarantees when making the pick that you’ll get an NHLer let alone an impact one. If the Devils are higher on Catton and/or Sennecke and think they can be high impact NHLers then you take them and worry about fit later, if one of those guys turns into a High end top 6 forward that’s a great draft pick.
Agree to agree. I'm pro Nygards, but if scouts think about high potential of specific player - they should draft him. Hope it will not be Eiserman or Parekh.
I will question their decision but it is a best strategy gor top 10 pick.

I have Nygard at #6 overall, I don't think you're leaving value on the board by taking him at #10.

We just don't see high-compete physical power forwards who skate that well, think the game so well and play defense so well every year, or even every few years.
The truth.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Saw an interesting mock from Graviteh on YouTube. Has the Devils trading down four spots, while picking up Dman Mario Ferarro from the Sharks. Devils select Brandsegg-Nygard at #14. Something like that could be pretty sweet.

10 for 14+42 might also be feasible, we'll see if the Sharks try to leapfrog for a D or may be content to stay put for Eiserman. (And if our scouts think our target would still be there at 14)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad