SSM Greyhounds 2022-23 Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
What are you smoking

If Ballard was under 48 hour rule, he's now past it.

Gibson is probably an untouchable.

As long as Ballard pays his own way after 48 hours, he doesn't scrub his NCAA eligilibility.

As for Gibson, with baby bmb and Virgilio, we are suddenly looking a lot younger on the back end. Gibson had a good Jr. A year but has yet to prove he can repeat it at Major Junior. Right now I don't consider him a core piece like Kudryavtsev, Carlisle or Virgilio. He may change my mind during this year, but if push comes to shove he could be made expendable.

If #22 isn't on this roster then you start the year with only 2 players who have ever had a whiff of top 4 minutes (Kudryavtsev, Carlisle). I think it's suicide.

Reactions: shot caller

Kristina Hazzard

Oct 5, 2021
As long as Ballard pays his own way after 48 hours, he doesn't scrub his NCAA eligilibility.

As for Gibson, with baby bmb and Virgilio, we are suddenly looking a lot younger on the back end. Gibson had a good Jr. A year but has yet to prove he can repeat it at Major Junior. Right now I don't consider him a core piece like Kudryavtsev, Carlisle or Virgilio. He may change my mind during this year, but if push comes to shove he could be made expendable.

If #22 isn't on this roster then you start the year with only 2 players who have ever had a whiff of top 4 minutes (Kudryavtsev, Carlisle). I think it's suicide.
I think your only aloud 48 hours then you lose it. Gibson played in the soo last year I don't think they move him. He's a Right shot

Reactions: DeletedAccountt

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017

Gibson is 17 years old... lol he finished 12th among all skaters in points in the NOJHL, he was the top defenceman of the year as a 16 year old rookie. He had 51 points in 40 games. It would be insane to not assume he is a core piece of this team, especially that the team kept him in the soo last year for further development. He's a core piece, absolutely, especially for the future. He played 6 whole OHL games with limited minutes..haha.

To be honest, Viriglio is more unproven than Gibson...

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I also believe it's highly unlikely Gibson goes anywhere. But how many players do we carry in a development year? You don't usually have as many in the press box in a year like this. Probably 3 extra skaters max. Usually 2 forwards and 1 defense. That means total 7 rostered defense.

Kudryavtsev
Carlisle
Brzustowski
Thompson
Toms
Virgilio*
Gibson

baby bmb*
Van De Ven

If you are making room for one of the guys on the bubble, who are you moving out? It's definitely a good problem to have, but it's a tough decision absolutely.

* cannot be traded, only affiliated

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
i would be inclined to keep Gibson over most players on that list. his ceiling is way too high. again, i'd be inclined to get rid of an older player long before I shipped out a high-ceiling right handed offensive defenseman. this year means nothing with regards to chasing a cup so any '02 or '03 D men would be expendable before a possible future star.

Reactions: DeletedAccountt

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
I also believe it's highly unlikely Gibson goes anywhere. But how many players do we carry in a development year? You don't usually have as many in the press box in a year like this. Probably 3 extra skaters max. Usually 2 forwards and 1 defense. That means total 7 rostered defense.

Kudryavtsev
Carlisle
Brzustowski
Thompson
Toms
Virgilio*
Gibson

baby bmb*
Van De Ven

If you are making room for one of the guys on the bubble, who are you moving out? It's definitely a good problem to have, but it's a tough decision absolutely.

* cannot be traded, only affiliated

I'm convinced Brodie McConnell-Barker does what Gibson did last year and play for Thunderbirds. Especially if they've mentioned they want him to work more on his defensive game.

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
Gibson is 17 years old... lol he finished 12th among all skaters in points in the NOJHL, he was the top defenceman of the year as a 16 year old rookie. He had 51 points in 40 games. It would be insane to not assume he is a core piece of this team, especially that the team kept him in the soo last year for further development. He's a core piece, absolutely, especially for the future. He played 6 whole OHL games with limited minutes..haha.

To be honest, Viriglio is more unproven than Gibson...
Junior A is much different than Major Junior. I’ll reserve judgment until I see a larger sample size.

Can we all just agree that the back and forth between who should be out and who should be in really just sheds light on the potential riches we are developing and that is what deserves attention.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
I'd let little BMB spend a year with the tbirds. Gibson was one of the top players in the noj as a 16 year old. No chance we ship him out. Toms looks much more confident, van de ven has really impressed me as well. We need Thompsons experience and toughness. I like bruz too. Any other year little BMB is a lock, just don't see it this year. Gibson and virgilo are gonna be wild. Crazy to think they're 16 and 17.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Can we all just agree that the back and forth between who should be out and who should be in really just sheds light on the potential riches we are developing and that is what deserves attention.
it shows we're young and full of riches for sure. it also pushes each individual because it seems like there is roster spots up for grab. really it's a good problem to have. :)

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Has Ballard showed his face in camp yet?
What do you mean, showed his face? He has suited up and been playing, if that's what you mean.

Anyone know what the status is of Keegan McMullen? He was supposed to suit up for black but I haven't seen him on the ice at all?

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
What do you mean, showed his face? He has suited up and been playing, if that's what you mean.

Anyone know what the status is of Keegan McMullen? He was supposed to suit up for black but I haven't seen him on the ice at all?
I wasn't sure if he was in training camp or not, haven't been following things that closely to know and there isn't much that has been said about him on here...for a guy that's being ripped potentially from NCAA I would have expected more chatter similar to Virgilio

Kristina Hazzard

Oct 5, 2021
I wasn't sure if he was in training camp or not, haven't been following things that closely to know and there isn't much that has been said about him on here...for a guy that's being ripped potentially from NCAA I would have expected more chatter similar to Virgilio
He is a camo I saw him on Tuesday in area and Allard dad had his day with the cup so he went home for a day

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
for a guy that's being ripped potentially from NCAA I would have expected more chatter similar to Virgilio
The situations are actually very different.

Virgilio - NCAA wanted him
Ballard - NCAA pushed his commitment by a year, basically saying they didn't want him any more.

Also look where they were drafted to the OHL. Virgilio was taken in the 4th round even though at the time there was every expectation that he would play NCAA. That's 1st round talent otherwise. Ballard was taken in the 8th round.

Kristina Hazzard

Oct 5, 2021
Here is my projected team so far with Camp

LWCRWLDRDG
SavardMcConnell-BarkerMignosaBrzustowskiThompsonSchenkel
MontroyAllardWatsonCarlisle (ijuryVirgilioIvanov
AnselminiD'Intino (Injury)CloutierKudryavtsev GibsonMiller
Corte/GoodBrownHookeyTomsvan de ven
McMullen(Injury)Ballard Kostov McConnell-Barker (tbirds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad