SSM Greyhounds 2022-23 Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Looking at the training camp roster, your lineups and the fact I don’t recognize over 3-4 names, I’ll be surprised if this team wins 15 games all season.
Soo is always a hard working contending team and this year should be fighting for 7-8 position in West.

They wont be that bad.

Ok, so I take back what I said Monday morning about being disappointed the Greyhounds hadn't released any info about camp. That info came around noon Monday, but the social media presence since has been fantastic. Live streaming all scrimmages to facebook and available to watch after the fact has been wonderful.

And then there is this video they released less than 2 hours after scrimmage ended. Impressive stuff by the social media team for sure.

Saginaw with Misa has a definite direction of what to build around. Wouldn't be surprised to see them sell off a few older pieces. Right now they are better than us on paper, but that could quickly change.

I think we are giving this unproven player a bit too much power and putting way too much pressure on him. Remember he is a smaller skilled player that doesnt go into dirty areas and thus will need time to acclimatize to the OHL and bigger, older, faster and tougher defenders.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Ok, so I take back what I said Monday morning about being disappointed the Greyhounds hadn't released any info about camp. That info came around noon Monday, but the social media presence since has been fantastic. Live streaming all scrimmages to facebook and available to watch after the fact has been wonderful.

And then there is this video they released less than 2 hours after scrimmage ended. Impressive stuff by the social media team for sure.

Saginaw with Misa has a definite direction of what to build around. Wouldn't be surprised to see them sell off a few older pieces. Right now they are better than us on paper, but that could quickly change.

Have to respect that the team brought in a 3rd party videography company which has produced some solid video content

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Scrimmage #2
Not dressed:
Evan Roach (white 3)
Caeden Carlisle (white 8)
Keegan McMullen (black 15)

I liked what I saw from Andrew Gibson, Christopher Brown, baby bmb, and Harrison Ballard. Ballard looks like he has a high motor and doesn't mind the physical, could be a great fit at 3C.

I thought Moses had some flashes out there.

Reactions: Houndzfan

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
Scrimmage #2
Not dressed:
Evan Roach (white 3)
Caeden Carlisle (white 8)
Keegan McMullen (black 15)

I liked what I saw from Andrew Gibson, Christopher Brown, baby bmb, and Harrison Ballard. Ballard looks like he has a high motor and doesn't mind the physical, could be a great fit at 3C.

I thought Moses had some flashes out there.

Good points.

i also thought that Toms was really, really good today and Cloutier was on another level. Dustin Good had another good day as well.

Ivanov was okay. Shenkle and Webb were both solid as well.

HockeyFan000

Dec 10, 2021
Fun to watch today great broadcasting. Mignosa Cloutier and montroy clearly led the way getting all over the score sheet for team black, which is good to see. I thought little bmb and toms was solid.

HockeyFan000

Dec 10, 2021
Decided to keep stats of the 05 and 06 players throughout today.
Brown-0
Little bmb-2
Vader-2
Virgilio-1
Cloutier-2
Montroy-3
Mignosa-5
Gibson-0 (shootout winner)
Our youngsters seem to be playing pretty well.

Let me know if I’m missing anybody!

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I think Ivanov will have a better year but that'll depend on the team in front of him, I'm sure he himself has grown alot albeit the stats may not show that this season..will be curious to see if Schenkel or Miller wind up in the #2 spot
I think it's probably Shenkel's job to start, but Miller is going to get playing time when he's ready. They made a big investment in him.

Reactions: DeletedAccountt

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
In my mind, the defense is pretty much settling itself.

With the way that Toms has been playing, he is making a case for himself on this team. Also, he looks like he really bulked up in the off season. I really like the way that Thompson plays, really steady shutdown D and we don't really have anyone else that plays that role. Lots of potential powerplay quarterbacks lol (Kudryavtsev, Toms, Gibson, Virgilio).

As well as Van De Ven has played, there unfortunately might not be a spot for him on this roster in a development year. I can see us starting the year with the following:
Kudryavtsev - Brzustowski
Carlisle - Thompson
Toms - Virgilio (06)
*baby bmb (06)* - Gibson

That means we can't roster any more '06 forwards if we keep Miller up, but for me none of them have been good enough to earn a roster spot this year anyway. It will be interesting to see what happens with the forward group.

Right now I have the following:
Savard - McConnell-Barker - Watson
D'Intino - Allard - Mignosa
McMullen - *Ballard* - Cloutier
Montroy - Brown (06) - Hookey
*Corte*
*Good* *Kostov*

EDIT: Apparently Kostov signed. Updated to remove Good and add Kostov.

Last edited:

Kristina Hazzard

Oct 5, 2021
In my mind, the defense is pretty much settling itself.

With the way that Toms has been playing, he is making a case for himself on this team. Also, he looks like he really bulked up in the off season. I really like the way that Thompson plays, really steady shutdown D and we don't really have anyone else that plays that role. Lots of potential powerplay quarterbacks lol (Kudryavtsev, Toms, Gibson, Virgilio).

As well as Van De Ven has played, there unfortunately might not be a spot for him on this roster in a development year. I can see us starting the year with the following:
Kudryavtsev - Brzustowski
Carlisle - Thompson
Toms - Virgilio (06)
*baby bmb (06)* - Gibson

That means we can't roster any more '06 forwards if we keep Miller up, but for me none of them have been good enough to earn a roster spot this year anyway. It will be interesting to see what happens with the forward group.

Right now I have the following:
Savard - McConnell-Barker - Watson
D'Intino - Allard - Mignosa
McMullen - *Ballard* - Cloutier
Montroy - Brown (06) - Hookey
*Corte*
*Good*
If Caleb is good enough they will make room

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
The 4 signed 16 year olds are Brown, Miller, Kostov and Virgilio

Brodie McConnell-Barker cannot be on this roster this year with those 4 signed but I could be wrong. I also can't see them putting Gibson on the bottom D Pairing.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
There's just too many unknowns to peg where the season shakes out. Looking forward to some good, competitive hockey either way.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017

Brodie McConnell-Barker cannot be on this roster this year with those 4 signed but I could be wrong. I also can't see them putting Gibson on the bottom D Pairing.

Only thing I can see if Miller starting the year on TBirds, and they have intention on moving Ivanov or Schenkle to get Miller some OHL action. Then you can have Brodie signed as you can't have more than 4 signed 16 year olds on the roster.

I can't find anything about that rule excluding goalies, or if the rule is dropped after a specific time..so if anyone can clarify that.

update: So you can have more than 4 signed but no more than 4 on your roster.

Last edited:

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Miller needs to play IMO. He will not be best served just getting practice pucks and the odd start. I hope they have a plan for him this year that involves being a starter for a Jr A team.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
If Caleb is good enough they will make room
Maybe. But making room involves sending another body out. Who?
Toms - He is making a bigger case for himself than Van De Ven
Virgilio - Not on your life after signing him away from NCAA
Gibson - Unlikely. They signed him last year and he was far and away the best defenseman on the Thunderbirds. They are ready for him to come in and take the next step.
baby bmb - possibly, but in a development year you might want the player that is two years younger and has already shown that he can play at this level.

Since when was Kostov signed?

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
Maybe. But making room involves sending another body out. Who?
Toms - He is making a bigger case for himself than Van De Ven
Virgilio - Not on your life after signing him away from NCAA
Gibson - Unlikely. They signed him last year and he was far and away the best defenseman on the Thunderbirds. They are ready for him to come in and take the next step.
baby bmb - possibly, but in a development year you might want the player that is two years younger and has already shown that he can play at this level.

Since when was Kostov signed?

I think the biggest indicator that hes been signed is that he's at 16 year old without a cage. You'd have to be signed for that.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
i don't know how you ship out toms, viriglio or gibson either.
i'd be more inclined to ship out thompson as unlikely as that sounds. make room for the youth before we hold on to any OA's.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
i'd be more inclined to ship out thompson as unlikely as that sounds. make room for the youth before we hold on to any OA's.

They traded for Thompson. He's gonna stay till at least deadline.

If you had to make a choice though.. like you absolutely have to move a guy..that guy is Toms.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Didn't notice Kostov without a cage. Good catch guys!

If that's the case then I assume they are starting the season with Ivanov/Schenkel.

If you had to make a choice though.. like you absolutely have to move a guy..that guy is Toms.
Do you absolutely have to move Toms for Van De Ven? I don't think so...

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
Didn't notice Kostov without a cage. Good catch guys!

If that's the case then I assume they are starting the season with Ivanov/Schenkel.

Do you absolutely have to move Toms for Van De Ven? I don't think so...

Oh..no.. not for Van De Ven.

I'm strictly just thinking about what gains the team for the future that wouldn't hurt us too much. I mean Van De Ven would be my first choice of replacement though.. but I wouldn't go out of my way to move Toms asap just for Van De Ven for sure

Reactions: HockeyPops
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad