SSM Greyhounds 2022-23 Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I completely disagree.. if we do make playoffs we just squeak in.. we shouldn't be worried about playoffs at all.. we should be focused on developing a strong team for the future. If we miss playoffs this year so be it. Let the kids play.

I feel like at camp all the spots are open. Work to earn it.
You must be extraordinarily pessimistic about some of our core players. Maybe you're right, but I take a more moderate view. I like what I saw from Ivanov last year and the defense is shaping up to be above average with a lot of depth.

Maybe for forward corps flops, but the team's history of developing forwards would suggest otherwise. It's hard to picture a team with this much talent, albeit young talent, being very far below .500, if at all.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
You must be extraordinarily pessimistic about some of our core players. Maybe you're right, but I take a more moderate view. I like what I saw from Ivanov last year and the defense is shaping up to be above average with a lot of depth.

Maybe for forward corps flops, but the team's history of developing forwards would suggest otherwise. It's hard to picture a team with this much talent, albeit young talent, being very far below .500, if at all.

I'm going to agree with DWIDale and say we could ice a full team of house league players and you'd find a way to say we're making playoffs. I'd rather be "a little pessimistic " about our core players than extremely delusional about the entire team. 🤷‍♂️

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
This season reminds me a lot of 2019-2020. That season we started the season as follows:
OAs: Propp, Peca
19yos: Trott, Roth, LeGuerrier, Wale
18yos: Pytlik, MacKay, Carroll, Kartye, Johnston, McLean, Calisti, Constantinou, Wawrow, Taylor

This year we are most likely starting with:
OAs: Watson, McMullen, Thompson
19yos: Savard, D'Intino, Brzustowski, Ivanov
18yos: McConnell-Barker, Allard, Ballard, Hookey, Kudryavtsev, Carlisle, Toms, Schenkel

Goaltending has some viable options, but nobody who has successfully carried the load yet in this league. It's probably average.

The defense will need another year of seasoning to be above average. We should have good depth but don't really have a top pairing going into the year.

Forward corps will indeed be weak.

We ended the abbreviated 2019-2020 campaign in 9th. That's where I peg this year's squad too.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
if Fisch says we're finishing 6th, should we add a few to that number in order to model his past discrepancies?

the future is bright but this is a 19 year olds league.

Reactions: DeletedAccountt

Kristina Hazzard

Oct 5, 2021
Somw good players from today game were

Zack Corte
Matthew Virgilio
Landon Miller
Caleb Van de Ven ( great shootout move) had all the normal hounds cheering
Alex Kostov
Daylan moses

Reactions: HockeyPops

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
some points that i saw from the first two periods anyway
- virgilio will be good. reminds me of a cross between jordan smith and jack thompson. Doesn't play like he's 16
- halushak and Thompson were two of the weaker d
- Miller let in one softy but made a lot of great saves
- Watson looked really good. Fast.
- van de ven was really good

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I thought Virgilio looked great. Miller was fine. Thompson was slow but very calm under pressure and always found a good first pass. Van de ven and Moses had flashes.

Reactions: Houndzfan20

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I'm going to agree with DWIDale and say we could ice a full team of house league players and you'd find a way to say we're making playoffs. I'd rather be "a little pessimistic " about our core players than extremely delusional about the entire team. 🤷‍♂️
It's unfortunate that you are unable or unwilling to make a response to what was said and instead make personal attacks. You make the forum a worse place for everyone by doing so.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
This season reminds me a lot of 2019-2020. That season we started the season as follows:
OAs: Propp, Peca
19yos: Trott, Roth, LeGuerrier, Wale
18yos: Pytlik, MacKay, Carroll, Kartye, Johnston, McLean, Calisti, Constantinou, Wawrow, Taylor

This year we are most likely starting with:
OAs: Watson, McMullen, Thompson
19yos: Savard, D'Intino, Brzustowski, Ivanov
18yos: McConnell-Barker, Allard, Ballard, Hookey, Kudryavtsev, Carlisle, Toms, Schenkel

Goaltending has some viable options, but nobody who has successfully carried the load yet in this league. It's probably average.

The defense will need another year of seasoning to be above average. We should have good depth but don't really have a top pairing going into the year.

Forward corps will indeed be weak.

We ended the abbreviated 2019-2020 campaign in 9th. That's where I peg this year's squad too.
I think that team was better than this one, but Propp put up one of the worst performances we have ever seen from a Greyhounds player.

Things really settled down after they got Bailey Brkin, who had a 17-8-3 record.

What are you expecting from Ivanov this season? The team looked confident in front of him last year. I think with a modest step forward, he can be above average. A save percentage around .895 would be huge. That's what we need from him to be a playoff team.

Devin

Jul 25, 2018
Looking at the training camp roster, your lineups and the fact I don’t recognize over 3-4 names, I’ll be surprised if this team wins 15 games all season.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
I think that team was better than this one, but Propp put up one of the worst performances we have ever seen from a Greyhounds player.

Things really settled down after they got Bailey Brkin, who had a 17-8-3 record.

What are you expecting from Ivanov this season? The team looked confident in front of him last year. I think with a modest step forward, he can be above average. A save percentage around .895 would be huge. That's what we need from him to be a playoff team.
I think Ivanov will have a better year but that'll depend on the team in front of him, I'm sure he himself has grown alot albeit the stats may not show that this season..will be curious to see if Schenkel or Miller wind up in the #2 spot

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
When remembering back to 2019-2020, the thing that stands out the most about that season is the number of odd man chances against. This year's team has arguably less firepower up front, making me worried that we will rely on our defense jumping up more. It might not be pretty for quite some time.

Many new coaches this year too. I have faith that they will get up to speed rather quickly, but every early season loss adds up.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
It's unfortunate that you are unable or unwilling to make a response to what was said and instead make personal attacks. You make the forum a worse place for everyone by doing so.

Okay wait. You can dish it out by calling me pessimistic but I call you delusional and it's a personal attack?

Literally delete your account, you sound like a troll.

Reactions: blkhawk

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
He applied for exceptional status last season (like Misa) but was denied. He will be eligible for this year's draft. Maybe Kristina has us pegged for last place overall, selecting first overall in the offseason?

Kristina Hazzard

Oct 5, 2021
He applied for exceptional status last season (like Misa) but was denied. He will be eligible for this year's draft. Maybe Kristina has us pegged for last place overall, selecting first overall in the offseason?
I think we will be around 8-10 you never know. Idk how is worse than us this year in west besides Erie ?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Ok, so I take back what I said Monday morning about being disappointed the Greyhounds hadn't released any info about camp. That info came around noon Monday, but the social media presence since has been fantastic. Live streaming all scrimmages to facebook and available to watch after the fact has been wonderful.

And then there is this video they released less than 2 hours after scrimmage ended. Impressive stuff by the social media team for sure.

I think we will be around 8-10 you never know. Idk how is worse than us this year in west besides Erie ?
Saginaw with Misa has a definite direction of what to build around. Wouldn't be surprised to see them sell off a few older pieces. Right now they are better than us on paper, but that could quickly change.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Players missing for scrimmage #1:
Evan Roach (3 white)
Luc Brzustowski (22 red)
Jordan D'Intino (25 red)

Noah Aboflan was wearing 25 red, so not sure what number Jordan D'Intino will wear if he returns.

Caeden Carlisle (8 white) went off in the second period after crashing into the end boards and didn't return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad