SSM Greyhounds 2022-23 Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
savard, sirizzotti and a stable OA defenseman would be a contender worthy crop of OA's imo.

but savard is also our only real trade chip this year. damn this is frustrating.
Sirizzotti played 73 games last year đź‘€

Reactions: dirty12

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
i love what savard brings but if he can net what zito did then i'd say do it. definitely.

in this market savard may get us a couple of 2nds and 3rds which would be great

Dean was already talking up Savard in the media recently.

The Greyhounds are hoping winger Tyler Savard carries his hot play into weekend action. The Peterborough, Ont., native has five goals and 10 assists over his last 10 games and seven goals and 15 helpers over his last 15.

Asked about the second-year player’s contributions, Dean spoke of how Savard, a tidy combination of skill and physicality, has been “unbelievable. But he’s been a force for us all season long, quite frankly. I think he’s the best puck-protection player in the league.”

Dean also said Savard, based on his club’s internal analytics work, is “No. 1 in the league when it comes to drawing penalties.”

Last edited:
Reactions: DWI Dale

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
it would be nice to plug a few of these holes/get duplicates for a deadline splash while prices seem to be high.

20232nd---
20242nd---
2025------
20262nd---
20272nd3rd
20282nd3rd

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Great value for Sirizzotti. Was hoping the Wolves would of picked up this player where we are lacking a natural right winger.

Good trade Soo.

WJ

Reactions: DWI Dale

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
Arcuri just went for more than zito...although there was no other player involved. hoping savard can go to Ottawa for a good package. they could use his skill and toughness down the stretch

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
he's nearly a PPG now. with this move you have to figure some veteran forwards are on their way out soon to recoup some picks.

why would Niagara, a team poised to make a mem cup bid get rid of this guy? do they have a ton of OA candidates for next year?
Niagara OAs should be Michaud and Cato and the probable third looks like Dann, at least for now.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
opinion :
hounds will trade, watson, savard, thompson & ivanov at the trade deadline.
( probably all for draft picks )

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
Next Season : ( based on this year's lineup )
Overagers : (3)
d'intino, sirizotti, savard ?

19 year olds : ( 9)
allard, ballard, hookey, mcconnel barker, carlisle, toms, kudryavtsev, van de ven, schenkel

18 year olds ( 6)
gibson, mignossa, cloutier, clattenburg, moses, montroy

17 year olds ( 4)
kostov, brown, virgilio, L. miller.

Reactions: Bearness

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
opinion :
hounds will trade, watson, savard, thompson & ivanov at the trade deadline.
( probably all for draft picks )
I'd also add Duarte to that list if there's a suitor. Seeing what we have from KR I'd say it's not likely we deal much away but we can hope. The only player I'd be hesitant to trade is Savard - the hitch being that if he was to return to the OHL next year he'd be a stellar OA. But with where prices are at this year perhaps there will be an offer made we can't refuse.

related opinion:
Hounds will have trouble winning another game after the trade deadline.

I can only speak for myself but I'd rather lose a few this winter than lose a few next spring.

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The only player I'd be hesitant to trade is Savard - the hitch being that if he was to return to the OHL next year he'd be a stellar OA. But with where prices are at this year perhaps there will be an offer made we can't refuse.
Circling back to the constant debate about draft equity. If we had more we could afford to take a gamble on Savard returning as an OA. But I think there is a very good chance that Savard is worth enough at the deadline to let him go. He could definitely be a difference maker in the postseason with his skillset. I can definitely see him latching on with an AHL team next year, if not earning an NHL deal.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
savard, sirizzotti and a stable OA defenseman would be a contender worthy crop of OA's imo.

but savard is also our only real trade chip this year. damn this is frustrating.
I would be surprised if the Hounds brought in an '03 defenseman for next year's run. They just dealt a stable '03 defenseman in Brzustowski. I think this defense corp is looking pretty good as is, and even though we graduate Thompson (if he's still on the roster) we should have a defense capable of contending without adding a neckbeard. We will only have limited assets to add, and scoring is our first, second and third priority.

'04 Kudryavtsev
'04 Carlisle
'04 Toms
'04 Van De Ven
'05 Gibson
'06 Virgilio
'06 McConnell-Barker

As for D'Intino, I expect him back as an OA. He won't lead the league in scoring, but he should chip in enough to warrant returning. We have so many other forwards who are contributing much less, that is where I would focus my upgrades.

The Sirizzotti trade was a good one. Even after reading on the Sudbury and Niagara boards about Brenden's defensive deficiences, I still really like this trade because we are in such a need for scoring. Bring on some scoring forwards, warts and all.

scotty171

Sep 11, 2007
I would be surprised if the Hounds brought in an '03 defenseman for next year's run. They just dealt a stable '03 defenseman in Brzustowski. I think this defense corp is looking pretty good as is, and even though we graduate Thompson (if he's still on the roster) we should have a defense capable of contending without adding a neckbeard. We will only have limited assets to add, and scoring is our first, second and third priority.

'04 Kudryavtsev
'04 Carlisle
'04 Toms
'04 Van De Ven
'05 Gibson
'06 Virgilio
'06 McConnell-Barker

As for D'Intino, I expect him back as an OA. He won't lead the league in scoring, but he should chip in enough to warrant returning. We have so many other forwards who are contributing much less, that is where I would focus my upgrades.

The Sirizzotti trade was a good one. Even after reading on the Sudbury and Niagara boards about Brenden's defensive deficiences, I still really like this trade because we are in such a need for scoring. Bring on some scoring forwards, warts and all.
I agree. This is kind of what we were talking about before in adding a forward with upside for not a significant price. In this case, he has already shown the ability to score at this level too which is even better. Let's see if Raftis can find a few more like this. Windsor did it last year adding Maillet and Christopoulos for peanuts and Smith before the season started for a mid pick.

If they do decide to bring in a defenseman, I don't think it would be until around the deadline next season.

If a team decides to pay large for Savard you pretty much have to do it. I'd be ok with them keeping him though too. D'Intino is ok but if a team offers a pick or two I would move him. The goal next year is to contend and there should be better OA's available.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo

It appears as though he struggled in niagara last year (-36 in 43 games), it seems like he has had a positive impact this year. As much as I tried to find something wrong with this deal it seems like we got an offensively minded forward that might thrive in our puck possession system, and for pennies on the dollar compared to what you might expect a PPG forward to cost. Let's see how he fits in.

2022-23
3.png
Niagara IceDogs
OHL237142121-4

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
It appears as though he struggled in niagara last year (-36 in 43 games), it seems like he has had a positive impact this year. As much as I tried to find something wrong with this deal it seems like we got an offensively minded forward that might thrive in our puck possession system, and for pennies on the dollar compared to what you might expect a PPG forward to cost. Let's see how he fits in.
Yeah, our struggling offense sure needs the help.

That being said though, while we are still dead last in goals for per game, we seem to be slowly closing the gap on the the other bottom feeders in this regard. We have actually clawed up to exactly 3.00 goals for per game for the first time since game 3 of this season (Windsor currently leading with over 4.5 goals for per game).

Kitchener and Guelph will both be tough battles this weekend before the break; they have both been trending up of late.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I'd also add Duarte to that list if there's a suitor.
I'm sure he would be available if there is a suitor, but not sure there will be. He nearly passed through waivers at the start of the season. He has been good but there are others that have been better. And there probably aren't that many OAs that will change hands from here on out. I think he fits into that category of good enough to be an OA on a contender if he is already on your roster, but not good enough to warrant trading for. Similar to Valade in Kitchener, or D'Intino next season for us.

But he has been impressive, playing centre, hard on pucks, good forechecks, chipping in points. Maybe there will be interest.

Reactions: dirty12

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
There was intense debate on this forum about whether we had the resources to add a scoring winger. Obviously that answer was yes.

Sirizzotti is a responsible addition for both this year and next and his scoring touch fills a real need. He put up 49 points last year and is on pace for over 60 this year. I like it.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
Toms with the big turnover in overtime vs guelph. Don't understand why
he is even on the ice in overtime, but that is for someone else to answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad