SSM Greyhounds 2022-23 Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

scotty171

Sep 11, 2007
Even before then we had issues, yet it could have been worse.

In 2017 we drafted Sandin and Kupari so we were 1/2. Then we traded for the rights to Jonne Tammela at the 2018 trade deadline and he never reported.

In 2018 we were 1/2 with Pytlik and Pucek (Pucek didn't work out).

In 2019 we were 1/1 with Malik.

In 2020 we made no selections.

In 2021 we were 1/2 with Lutz and Kudryavtsev.

In 2022 we were 0/1 so far with Nordh.

So we were 4/8 with our import draft selections in the last 6 years.
I never understood not using both import spots during expected long playoff runs. Even through trade it usually costs less to bring in an import.

Reactions: DWI Dale

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
between the import picks and hail mary's like mcgroarty we have a lot of high talent picks not reporting. undeniably we'd be a much stronger team if guys like Lutz, Nordh and Rutger reported but when they don't these squandered assets start to add up.

when we lack depth, tradeable assets, and draft picks it sure starts to feel like Raftis has wasted his fair share of picks the past 5 years for a GM who refuses to rebuild.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I mentioned this before, but I think the refusal to rebuild is partly the execution of Lukenda's vision.

I, too, wish that we could get more high end talent to report. However, I don't think the solution is to stop drafting high end players (neither in the import or priority selection). I think you still pick your spots and take your shots, and I am fine with the shots that Raftis has taken. As I said relative to the import draft, could be better but definitely could be worse.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
i both agree and disagree. sometimes you have to shoot your shot and take chances. but i also think raftis has a high number of players who are not reporting and at some point that has to improve in order for us to build a contender. we should not have an empty import slot every season. a championship team will take two strong imports and 3 strong overagers.

if this is Lukenda's vision, his vision sucks. If he wants a championship he isn't going to "reinvent the wheel" on how it's done.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Is Savard realistically on a trade board or is he 100% back as an OA?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
There is a legit chance Savard gets at least an AHL contract after this season. He is over a point-a-game, brings a much different skillset to the table than most his age, and has demonstrated huge developmental leaps each season. It only takes one team to make a bet that he hasn't yet reached his ceiling.

He would be a great piece next season for a Greyhounds team looking to go on a run (if he's back), but if I'm Raftis and get a serious offer for him, I'm listening.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
There is a legit chance Savard gets at least an AHL contract after this season. He is over a point-a-game, brings a much different skillset to the table than most his age, and has demonstrated huge developmental leaps each season. It only takes one team to make a bet that he hasn't yet reached his ceiling.

He would be a great piece next season for a Greyhounds team looking to go on a run (if he's back), but if I'm Raftis and get a serious offer for him, I'm listening.

What would a serious offer look like in your mind? Similar to Zito or more? I’d assume significant conditionals based on returning as an OA.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
What would a serious offer look like in your mind? Similar to Zito or more? I’d assume significant conditionals based on returning as an OA.
I think the Zito return is right in the ballpark, but I'm unsure that they would be interested in moving him.

Also, a note to others. Can we drop this asinine notion that drafting high end players is some kind of mistake?

We got Matthew Virgilio this year on a gamble for god sakes. His closest comp, Sam Dickinson, was traded for 7 high end picks. That signing alone justifies every wasted pick for the last 10 years.

Our return for Luc Brzustowski (a 6th round pick) is more that we gambled trying to get McGroarty. Keep being aggressive, Raftis.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
For sure, although it is a delicate balance not wasting too many flyer picks on players unlikely to report. My concern leading into training camp this season was the lack of viable forward options vying for the open positions. We ended up with Moses (FA) and Good (U18 draft) who I am unsure if either manages to make it as a full time OHLer. There were 4 midround picks used on forwards in the '20 and '21 drafts, who were not viable options for us going into this training camp (2020 6th - Varner, 2020 8th - Bellwood, 2021 7th - Lewinski, 2021 8th - Campbell). I don't expect Raftis to hit on all of these picks, but if he hits on 1 or 2 of them then we aren't even having this discussion.

With flyer picks you hit on some and you miss on some, but you still need to be able to ice a team on the years you miss.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Also, a note to others. Can we drop this asinine notion that drafting high end players is some kind of mistake?
No. Having a higher than average number of players not reporting is worth discussing as a player drafted that doesn't report is meaningless to our on-ice prodcut no matter how skilled they are.

Also, we used a 4th on Rutger, not a 6th so get your facts straight. Throwing away 4ths on a guy who was never coming isn't chump change.

You are literally the king/queen of "asinine notions" so pipe down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Savard18

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
fair enough.

my point is that 4th round picks aren't chump change to throw around as they have been used to draft top players like Rory Kerins and Connor Timmins.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I don't think Raftis throws away a fourth on Rutger if he was "never coming". No idea what conversations he had with him, but he must have thought there was at least some possibility he reports or he doesn't waste that pick. I think what compounds the issue is that we didn't have a 2nd round pick in 2019 or 2020, and then use the 4th round 2020 pick on Rutger. Those 3 picks would normally occupy critical spots in our lineup by the time we get to the 2022-2023 season, and instead we were left trying to fill those holes.

It was a little different than the 2016-2017 drafts in that respect, even though we were missing a 2nd in 2016 and a 2nd in 2017, Raftis waited until the 6th round in 2016 (DeRidder) and the 5th round in 2017 (Beecher) to make his flyer picks. That allowed us to draft some solid players before using the flyer picks in those years.

Similarly, I didn't have any issue with the Virgilio pick this summer, as we had already made 4 picks before that flyer. Of course, the fact that he reported was awesome, but even if he didn't it wouldn't have handcuffed us the way it did in 2019 & 2020..

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
very reasonable assessment HP.

almost seems like we should have recouped at least one 2019 or 2020 2nd round pick at the 2019 trade deadline eh? especially when we are taking flyers on NCAA committed players so often. i'm certain we could have gotten at least one of those 2nd round picks as part of any deal sending out Frost or Hayton. ;)

Last edited:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
fair enough.

my point is that 4th round picks aren't chump change to throw around as they have been used to draft top players like Rory Kerins and Connor Timmins.
very different scouting staffs, im not sure they have shown they can find those kind of players in those rounds

mag1600

Jun 15, 2012
Holmes over Matier is really bugging me the last week.
I totally agree that our last 2 first rounders are very questionable at this point. And, don't even mention Holmes over local Jack Matier - I don't know what Raftis was thinking.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I totally agree that our last 2 first rounders are very questionable at this point. And, don't even mention Holmes over local Jack Matier - I don't know what Raftis was thinking.
he brought in his best friend to over see scouting with not so much experience, so this is where they are.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
i don't know how you misjudge a local kid. he's literally the easiest scouting task for a GM. just drive over to John Rhodes and watch the kid ffs.
those of us with kids around the same age as jack had been saying it for years that the kid was something special. i honestly don't know how you drop the ball that bad in your own back yard.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Lot's of teams passed over Jack in the first round and are probably kicking themselves now. Hopefully Raftis learns from that one.

Looking forward to getting the first look at Erie's Molnar tonight.

Last edited:

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
probably had more to do with how much they liked Holmes as opposed to a knock on
Matier, Probably had Holmes rated higher then Matier on there draft board.
Furthermore, Matier most likely will not be in the Ohl as an overager, but holmes most
likely will. The error i think Raftis made was trading Holmes for Thompson, hounds didn't
play very well in the playoffs last season . Check out there last 2 playoff games ?
Holmes would have made a good overage candidate for hounds next season, but on the
other hand he is Sudbury's captain but don't think he is having a great year based on
what Sudbury fans are saying . Don't know really because don't follow the sudbury wolves to closely.

Reactions: nelli27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad