SSM Greyhounds 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
MaRtIn IsNt SiGnInG iN the SoO

Its unfair to assess a team for the duration of a year when you weren't watching games though too....... how many games did you go to last year, or even watch on TV?

i watched some on TV, and attended 2 or 3. how many saggy games did you attend and watch that makes you so confident we're better than them?

i also have eyes and can see we were at the bottom of league scoring last year. is your argument this indicates us having a strong offense this year?

Last edited:

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
right now they are at best 4th in the west, only because Guelph lost Allen for half the year

that's fair. i see them 4 or 5 as well. for the record i also don't think saggy is a bonafide contender on paper. they look like a 2nd round exit, backdoor host team to me. time will tell but the last decade i've been very accurate and realistic in my season predictions for the hounds and others.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirty12

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
that's fair. i see them 4 or 5 as well. for the record i also don't think saggy is a bonafide contender on paper. they look like a 2nd round exit, backdoor host team to me. time will tell but the last decade i've been very accurate and realistic in my season predictions for the hounds.
i think it should be owen sound but well see. london should be there as well just not sure on their offensive depth either, but they have more then the soo at the moment.

Reactions: Houndzfan20

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Really don't see the Soo or Saginaw any better than each other at this point. After January 10th Saginaw will be much better than the Soo. They will buy anything they can. I do see Saginaw getting to at least the 3rd round but upsets happen.

Reactions: DWI Dale

OHLfan200

Nov 28, 2017
There is no way the Greyhounds should be going for it this year imo.. The core with the best chance at winning rests in the 06-07 group, lead by Virgilio and Martin and the only way to give them that chance is to sell BMB and Kirill this year. I just think thats the smarter thing to do if you want to be a contender for 2-3 years after this one.

We are bringing back the same team that was 4th last in offence last year and we lost our #2 and 5 scorers in Watson and Duarte.

Not saying they won't improve offensively, I just think its unrealistic to expect a winning season when most of our skill and depth is 16 and 17 years old.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
There is no way the Greyhounds should be going for it this year imo.. The core with the best chance at winning rests in the 06-07 group, lead by Virgilio and Martin and the only way to give them that chance is to sell BMB and Kirill this year. I just think thats the smarter thing to do if you want to be a contender for 2-3 years after this one.

We are bringing back the same team that was 4th last in offence last year and we lost our #2 and 5 scorers in Watson and Duarte.

Not saying they won't improve offensively, I just think its unrealistic to expect a winning season when most of our skill and depth is 16 and 17 years old.

i agree but unless we flop badly in october, november and december it looks like Raftis/Lukenda are more than happy to get turfed in the 2nd round again lol

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017

Been saying for months that we need to build around the 06s and 07s. Sell BMB and kirill and rebuild properly. We will not be good enough with this current squad.

And IMO we are not as good as Saginaw at this point. And they have a ton of assets to buy so it's essentially pointless now.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I am looking forward to seeing Americans Elijah Lilja ('06) and Keegan Gillen ('07)
All 2023 picks from the first 8 rounds are reporting except 6th rounder Sebastian Dell'Elce.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Argh, I was hoping to get the the GFL today for day one of training camp but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. Did anyone go? If so, please share your observations!

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
- cloutier has been on another level. I've been critical of him in the past but he looks great. Same wirh mignosa.
- Martin is ridiculously skilled.
- I'd be worried if I were the 19 year old d. The 17 year Olds look great.
- clattenburg is a monster
- brown looks bigger and stronger. Has looked head and shoulders above where he was

With the amount of younger talent I would trade the vets at deadline. This team will be prime in 2-3 years if we build around the younger core and have the assets to buy.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
How do I give a post multiple likes?

Just to make sure I understand, you aren't talking about Karki or Kudryavtsev, it's Carlisle, Toms, Van De Ven? And when you refer to the 17 year olds, that's Virgilio, Evans, and McConnell-Barker that all are impressing? Any others unsigned that are impressing (Evan Roach is the only other 17 year old dman in camp)?

Last edited:

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
How do I give a post multiple likes?

Just to make sure I understand, you aren't talking about Karki or Kudryavtsev, it's Carlisle, Toms, Van De Ven? And when you refer to the 17 year olds, that's Virgilio, Evans, and McConnell-Barker that all are impressing? Any others unsigned that are impressing (Evan Roach is the only other 17 year old dman in camp)?

No, not talking about kudryatsev. IMO karki hasn't done anything special...yet. New city, country and a big change. I'll reserve jusgement until he settles. I would go with kirill, gibson, Evans, Little BMB, virgilio, and both Keegan gillen and hunter Solomon have looked really good. I would say that IMO, van de ven has looked the best of thr 19 year Olds (that don't start with k)

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Gillen and Solomon both 16. Great news and thanks for the reports!

What kind of player are they?

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
Solomon reminds me of O'Rourke. Scored a nice goal yesterday. Gillen is small, quick and very good with the puck
Agreed. Solomon will be a tough kid to play against in a year or two. Gillen is really good...vision, body position and patience are off the chart for a 16 year old d. I really hope they give him some games this year. I can't see how he was drafted that low unless they weren't sure he would go ncaa

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyFan000

Dec 10, 2021
Agree on cloutier and Mignosa. They really look like they took a step. Cloutier seems like a speedy player with great physical ability and more of an offensive touch with a good skill set Mignosa looks great and stronger out there. Wheeling in offensive zone. Really noticed his shot so far and it’s really accurate and hard. Sniper

Gibson looks like a pro out there. Gonna be a stud for this team and I’m real excited. Karoo super smooth with awesome skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad