SSM Greyhounds 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
it's weird they don't mention Ertel being Martin's coach.

was this hiring the best candidate available or was it necessary to lure Martin to report?

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
This is gearing up to be an exciting season, will be interesting to see if we 'go for it' despite Saginaw having host rights to the MC

Were going for it lol

You don't burn a 7th overall import pick on a guy who planned to come for one year, just to sell lol

Trust me... the team ( despite what the HFBoard experts say ) has a plan and they believe they are a top team in the league.

I don't care what anyone says..we are better than Saginaw going into the year.

Unless we go 0-20 to start, I would think they're going to go for it.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
Goaltending and Defense look like a strong point, barring any injuries.
Forwards, don't know if they will be able to score enough ?
i think a 3rd overage forward is a must, needs to be a quality player.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
Goaltending and Defense look like a strong point, barring any injuries.
Forwards, don't know if they will be able to score enough ?
i think a 3rd overage forward is a must, needs to be a quality player.

3rd oa, and I think they splash on a winger.

Plus who knows what surprises are at camp...

I think our needs/gaps to fill are lesser than some teams that posters have pegged higher than us in standings.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Trust me... the team ( despite what the HFBoard experts say ) has a plan and they believe they are a top team in the league.

screen shotted to add to the long list of the years you've said this since 2018. ;)

i agree that we're going for it, but i'm not convinced we should be. the 27th ranked offense last year will have to make some miraculous gains to be any kind of credible threat. i do agree that our defense looks stellar but our forward group has more holes than a spaghetti strainer lol.

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Can we put together 3 scoring lines?

Line 1 ( > 1.2 pts/gm)
1. BMB 1.13
2. Sirizzotti .95
3. 3rd OA forward?

Line 2 (0.8 - 1.2 pts/gm)
4. D'Intino .62
5. Mignosa .54
6. Allard

Line 3 (0.5 - 0.8 pts/gm)
7. Martin
8. Fantino .45
9. Cloutier .41

Line 4
Kostov
Brown
Clattenburg
Montroy
Good
Moses
Vader
Hayes
?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Can we put together 3 scoring lines?

Line 1 ( > 1.2 pts/gm)
1. BMB 1.13
2. Sirizzotti .95
3. 3rd OA forward?

Line 2 (0.8 - 1.2 pts/gm)
4. D'Intino .62
5. Mignosa .54
6. Allard

Line 3 (0.5 - 0.8 pts/gm)
7. Martin
8. Fantino .45
9. Cloutier .41

Line 4
Kostov
Brown
Clattenburg
Montroy
Good
Moses
Vader
Hayes
?

and thats where i struggle with the soo. both the attack and the spirit have guys at 1.0 pts per game at least on the top 6 lines and the .62 and .54 on their third lines, not the 2nd lines. they are missing 2 top 6 forwards at least, even with adding that 03 overage.

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
and thats where i struggle with the soo. both the attack and the spirit have guys at 1.0 pts per game at least on the top 6 lines and the .62 and .54 on their third lines, not the 2nd lines. they are missing 2 top 6 forwards at least, even with adding that 03 overage.
Yeah. If we look back on our last successful team to make it to the OHL Finals ('17-'18), our 7th highest scoring forward was Verbeek at 0.91 pts/gm. I just don't see that kind of forward depth, even if we make a couple of acquisitions.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Yeah. If we look back on our last successful team to make it to the OHL Finals ('17-'18), our 7th highest scoring forward was Verbeek at 0.91 pts/gm. I just don't see that kind of forward depth, even if we make a couple of acquisitions.
i think thats pretty common among all condending teams, depth all over the lineup. the soo has the defensive depth, but up front, alot of holes or need guys who never have scored to score alot all of a sudden. martin is not a tradable asset either, hes too good to trade. you can probably assume hes good enough to be a 9th forward on a very good team.

goalie group is probably not perfect but no teams goalie in the west that is competing is perfect either.

Reactions: HockeyPops

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo

I keep making this comparison as well. If you look at the season before our last run (2016-2017) it was more apparent that we had a solid top 6 returning and the potential for a potent 3rd line.

I did not see that kind of development last year so I don't think it's unfair to ask where our scoring will come from this year.

1692724996536.png

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
martin is not a tradable asset either, hes too good to trade. you can probably assume hes good enough to be a 9th forward on a very good team.

i think some of our fans are putting too much stock in Martin showing up and being a first year phenom. if we're depending on a 16 year old to be in our top 6 thats entirely unfair to Brady.

and one last point, our 2018 team also had well stocked cupboards to add the 2nd best forward available (Robert Thomas > Raddysh)

Last edited:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
i think some of our fans are putting too much stock in Martin showing up and being a first year phenom. if we're depending on a 16 year old to be in our top 6 thats entirely unfair to Brady.

and one last point, our 2018 team also had well stocked cupboards...
there is an element of tribalism on display with some, believing your team is the best irrationally and fighting against those who say otherwise despite them providing evidence and facts to support their thoughts.

martin could be a very good top 9 player at 16, but if you need him to be a top 6 player to be successful, thats not a good sign. most high end teams need deep lines up front. sarnia didnt make the finals but had players with size and 0.75 pts a game in their third line. could the soo do that? sure, but theyd have no picks for 4 years and i dont think thats part of their organizational identity, which i agree with.

they needed more 04s or 05s to become top 6 forwards, but to this point they have not.

Reactions: TuckerFan1

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
there is an element of tribalism on display with some, believing your team is the best irrationally and fighting against those who say otherwise despite them providing evidence and facts to support their thoughts.

they're also revisionists who forget lessons learned in previous seasons as soon as a new season begins lol

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
Were going for it lol

You don't burn a 7th overall import pick on a guy who planned to come for one year, just to sell lol

Did you fall out of bed this morning and bump your head?

Reactions: TuckerFan1

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
MaRtIn IsNt SiGnInG iN the SoO

I did not see that kind of development last year so I don't think it's unfair to ask where our scoring will come from this year.

View attachment 737991

Its unfair to assess a team for the duration of a year when you weren't watching games though too....... how many games did you go to last year, or even watch on TV?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
MaRtIn IsNt SiGnInG iN the SoO

It’s unfair to assess a team for the duration of a year when you weren't watching games though too....... how many games did you go to last year, or even watch on TV?
id reply to your trolling with facts but you’ll run to the moderator so what’s the point. nothing wrong with believing in your team, nothing wrong with constructive criticism as well. hockey pops is incredibly fair and balanced in his posts, you can hate and troll me but he’s saying the same thing.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Were going for it lol

I actually agree with all of this (except the bit about being better than Saginaw).

The reason I agree is because hfp is saying it's what the team believes and what the team will do.

The team does have a plan, whether we share their vision or not is another discussion point.

Reactions: DWI Dale

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I actually agree with all of this (except the bit about being better than Saginaw).

The reason I agree is because hfp is saying it's what the team believes and what the team will do.

The team does have a plan, whether we share their vision or not is another discussion point.

right now they are at best 4th in the west, only because Guelph lost Allen for half the year

Reactions: DWI Dale

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
LDN, OS should be really damn good. SAG should be real good & be real aggressive. If GUE picks up where they left off they should be quite good, but as mentioned Allen being gone for months hurts, tho Buchinger/Romeo/Hislop should be able to survive. If their import goalie is legit it could make a massive difference. Their goaltending last yr was disastrous & they still went off in 2nd half.

WSR will be rather solid until they sell off. Don't sleep on Erie either. I know we all look past them cause its been forever but they could have 3 good scoring lines + a couple solid D. A lot rides on goaltending tho which is questionable.

I like SSMs roster especially on D & I like your G, but it's hard to win if you can't score consistently which is something LDN, OS, GUE, SAG, WSR, ER should be able to do. Conference as always is gonna be a war. I don't look forward to us being on the receiving end of it lol.

Reactions: Gondrex

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
LDN, OS should be really damn good. SAG should be real good & be real aggressive. If GUE picks up where they left off they should be quite good, but as mentioned Allen being gone for months hurts, tho Buchinger/Romeo/Hislop should be able to survive. If their import goalie is legit it could make a massive difference. Their goaltending last yr was disastrous & they still went off in 2nd half.

WSR will be rather solid until they sell off. Don't sleep on Erie either. I know we all look past them cause its been forever but they could have 3 good scoring lines + a couple solid D. A lot rides on goaltending tho which is questionable.

I like SSMs roster especially on D & I like your G, but it's hard to win if you can't score consistently which is something LDN, OS, GUE, SAG, WSR, ER should be able to do. Conference as always is gonna be a war. I don't look forward to us being on the receiving end of it lol.
it’s funny everyone other then the one guy seems to think the same way. but it’s because we didn’t all watch them last year?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
There is a fairly easy path to contention for SSM, trade Miller and/or Virgilio close to home.
Barrie has close to six forward lines with the core being 2005-06 born. A forward line of Frasca; one of Matthews or Jodoin; one of York or Wigle; and, Picknell and Forlin could all be had.
From there it’s one January add to three very solid lines.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyPops
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad