SSM Greyhounds 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
with all the controversy surrounding the Ice Dogs i wonder if their top picks will want to stay there. i said a couple weeks ago that i'd try to put a package together for Roobroeck. we could definitely do it. Dickinson went for

2,2,2,3,3,5. we can do that with what we have right now and recoup more picks than that selling Kirill and BMB. can easily get 2,2,3,4 for Kirill and player, 2,2,3,3,3 for BMB

comparable to the Holmes (and i think Kirill is much better than holmes,) and Zhilkin trades last year

imagine having Martin and Roobroeck together tearing up the league in 2 years?

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
with all the controversy surrounding the Ice Dogs i wonder if their top picks will want to stay there. i said a couple weeks ago that i'd try to put a package together for Roobroeck. we could definitely do it. Dickinson went for

2,2,2,3,3,5. we can do that with what we have right now and recoup more picks than that selling Kirill and BMB. can easily get 2,2,3,4 for Kirill and player, 2,2,3,3,3 for BMB

comparable to the Holmes (and i think Kirill is much better than holmes,) and Zhilkin trades last year

imagine having Martin and Roobroeck together tearing up the league in 2 years?

Roobroeck is signed. Dickinson was not.

If I were you ( and everyone else ), I would get the idea of selling out of your head. I'm not sure that's going to happened. I think the Soo will recognize that the West is weaker next year and they will be one of the better teams pre-deadline. As a few posters have mentioned, I think they'll use first 20 games as an assessment but...I think they believe they can contend.

Good, our picks are reporting to dev weekend. Great sign.

I feel like a few are signed and just awaiting announcement.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
Roobroeck is signed. Dickinson was not.

If I were you ( and everyone else ), I would get the idea of selling out of your head. I'm not sure that's going to happened. I think the Soo will recognize that the West is weaker next year and they will be one of the better teams pre-deadline. As a few posters have mentioned, I think they'll use first 20 games as an assessment but...I think they believe they can contend.

I feel like a few are signed and just awaiting announcement.
if people think the Soo is going to be good enough to go all in then they need to give their head a shake. in no realm is this team going to be good enough to win next year. maybe one round. maybe. saginaw, owen sound, guelph and probably london are going to be much better than us. if we can't win it all with the 2017/18 team, we sure aren't going to next year with kirill and bmb. and maybe sirrizotti.

if we don't sell next year for a haul, and rebuild around or 16 and 17 year olds, there's no hope for this managment.

Reactions: DWI Dale

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Nothing will change until Raftis is gone.

He is arrogant enough to believe we are a contender next year.

We are in perpetual mediocrity until there's a shakeup.

Reactions: Houndzfan20

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
if people think the Soo is going to be good enough to go all in then they need to give their head a shake. in no realm is this team going to be good enough to win next year. maybe one round. maybe. saginaw, owen sound, guelph and probably london are going to be much better than us. if we can't win it all with the 2017/18 team, we sure aren't going to next year with kirill and bmb. and maybe sirrizotti.

if we don't sell next year for a haul, and rebuild around or 16 and 17 year olds, there's no hope for this managment.

I don't disagree but let's say we're sitting with like. 25-10 record( literally just made this number up, but you know).. what would you do? Sell? How do you go abouts the situation if Barker wants to stay here to win? There is SO many situations that as fans ( myself included ) we think we have it figured out and know the business. I'm not standing up for anyone's decisions and I do agree we should have sold at times but there are SO many situations that as a fan behind a computer we think it would be as easy.

Being up north this team and management absolutely HAS to consider relationships with players. One negative from a player in the Soo could be very detrimental. These situations exists. The Soo has a name for itself for having solid relationships, they won't burn those bridges just because a few disgruntled fans post in a group.

Raftis is not going to go up to Barker and say " Hey bud, i don't care how you feel, we're trading you." While having his 17 year old brother as an up and coming player for our team. A player they will depend on. Just not going to happened.

You can say that we "missed out on the cup" because of it and stay angry or you can just admit that the OHL is corrupt and planned to have Saginaw in the before the trade deadline because of Misa. Just like they waited till after draft to announce the Niagara stuff......

Last edited:

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
there will be no doubt that saginaw will load up there team at the
deadline because they are hosting the memorial cup. They will sell
the farm, draft picks and there young players, Will the hounds be
able to match that selling, doubt it, so they should make some moves
early on in the year to trade there veterans and build around there young core to make
there run in 2 years. So i would have no problem in trading BMB and KRIL.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
there will be no doubt that saginaw will load up there team at the
deadline because they are hosting the memorial cup. They will sell
the farm, draft picks and there young players, Will the hounds be
able to match that selling, doubt it, so they should make some moves
early on in the year to trade there veterans and build around there young core to make
there run in 2 years. So i would have no problem in trading BMB and KRIL.

None of us as fans would have a problem with it. That's not what I'm getting at.

Saginaw will load up and who will finish 2nd? Playoff hockey is playoff hockey.

There's 0 chance the Hounds are thinking like this right now. We have "fans" writing us off already but it has nothing to do with the talent, just a personal vendetta against managment.

Assess how things are at the start of the season and move forward, but no way are they thinking sell right now like some posters are.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I don't disagree but let's say we're sitting with like. 25-10 record( literally just made this number up, but you know).. what would you do? Sell? How do you go abouts the situation if Barker wants to stay here to win? There is SO many situations that as fans ( myself included ) we think we have it figured out and know the business. I'm not standing up for anyone's decisions and I do agree we should have sold at times but there are SO many situations that as a fan behind a computer we think it would be as easy.

Being up north this team and management absolutely HAS to consider relationships with players. One negative from a player in the Soo could be very detrimental. These situations exists. The Soo has a name for itself for having solid relationships, they won't burn those bridges just because a few disgruntled fans post in a group.

Raftis is not going to go up to Barker and say " Hey bud, i don't care how you feel, we're trading you." While having his 17 year old brother as an up and coming player for our team. A player they will depend on. Just not going to happened.

You can say that we "missed out on the cup" because of it and stay angry or you can just admit that the OHL is corrupt and planned to have Saginaw in the before the trade deadline because of Misa. Just like they waited till after draft to announce the Niagara stuff......
Yes - different factors develop/change every day so hard to know all the reasons/logic behind each move or the direction the GM takes - but don't ever think for 1 minute OHL teams are not monitoring what is being said about them in the Media ". Teams have a Media person for a reason. They don't just write a release once or twice a week for teams. They read everything that is being said. There are actually software programs that pull out comments from the internet that are directly about the source selected. In this case comments about the Greyhounds.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
There's 0 chance the Hounds are thinking like this right now. We have "fans" writing us off already but it has nothing to do with the talent, just a personal vendetta against managment.
So edgy putting "fans" in quotations!!!

I have no personal vendetta. I want to succeed and the only success Raftis had was with a core that Dubas drafted. How has kissing Raftis' ring worked out for you the last 4+ years?

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017

- but just liking a place doesn't mean he will want to stay. there's no way we can compete with the four teams i mentioned. maybe london as they have no goaltending right now but the others are much better than we are now.

- Kirill shouldn't have a no trade clause. as much as i like him and BMB as players and possibly as people, i like this team more. and would absolutely love to see a championship. which we won't if we don't sell them. we need to get to the mentality that Hamilton had. Win the OHL, sell off, rebuild, win the OHL. they have that down pat. they already have a bunch of young talent ready in year 2 and are poised to make that run again next year or the year after.

- You can't please everyone. there has been so many good/great testimonials about the soo that i don't think one unhappy player will change that narrative. This team has consistently pumped out players year after year and their accomplishments speak for themselves in that aspect. i'm not sure i agree with your point about being up north. we haven't really had an issue on non-reporting kids (that aren't US) in the last 10 years.

- Raftis may not go up to him and say "we are trading you and i don't care how you feel", but if raftis isn't going to him and saying, "hey, i can send you to a contender and help our team out in the process" then he isn't doing his job. I don't know anyone that would stay and play here on a mid pack team rather than go to a contender and possibly win. Regardless of how good we treat them. if he does, then he invokes his no trade clause. he earned it and he could absolutely do that.

good debate. good to see all the different views from the passionate soo fans. we are due for a championship. hopefully they can deliver one soon.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
Yes - different factors develop/change every day so hard to know all the reasons/logic behind each move or the direction the GM takes - but don't ever think for 1 minute OHL teams are not monitoring what is being said about them in the Media ". Teams have a Media person for a reason. They don't just write a release once or twice a week for teams. They read everything that is being said. There are actually software programs that pull out comments from the internet that are directly about the source selected. In this case comments about the Greyhounds.

Lol.. I might be the one person in this forum who knows first hand about all this

So edgy putting "fans" in quotations!!!

I have no personal vendetta. I want to succeed and the only success Raftis had was with a core that Dubas drafted. How has kissing Raftis' ring worked out for you the last 4+ years?

There are TONS of people not just you!! Hahaha

Reactions: ohloutsider

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
- Raftis may not go up to him and say "we are trading you and i don't care how you feel", but if raftis isn't going to him and saying, "hey, i can send you to a contender and help our team out in the process" then he isn't doing his job. I don't know anyone that would stay and play here on a mid pack team rather than go to a contender and possibly win. Regardless of how good we treat them. if he does, then he invokes his no trade clause. he earned it and he could absolutely do that.

I've said this before in regards to Frost. He didn't wanna go. Sometimes they don't want to go and there's nothing you can do about it. These kids start dating girls in ssm and build relationships. It's hard. Not the first time I've heard players not wanting to leave. Can't force em, this is a development league first and foremost

You cannot blame Raftis though!

It's tough and I'm definitely not saying I want the Hounds to buy and take a run by any means.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
I've said this before in regards to Frost. He didn't wanna go. Sometimes they don't want to go and there's nothing you can do about it. These kids start dating girls in ssm and build relationships. It's hard. Not the first time I've heard players not wanting to leave. Can't force em, this is a development league first and foremost

It's tough and I'm definitely not saying I want the Hounds to buy and take a run by any means.
i get it, sometimes they don't want to go. but in Frost's case, you could force him. you could have traded him to a contender and got a haul. whether or not he would report is not the Hounds problem. Yes, it'd be a dick move. but it could have been done for the good of the franchise.

Hayton could have easily invoked his NTC so he literally could dictate what he wanted lol.

i agree, it's not easy. but sometimes it can't be easy if you want to build a winner.

Reactions: DWI Dale

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
i get it, sometimes they don't want to go. but in Frost's case, you could force him. you could have traded him to a contender and got a haul. whether or not he would report is not the Hounds problem. Yes, it'd be a dick move. but it could have been done for the good of the franchise.

Hayton could have easily invoked his NTC so he literally could dictate what he wanted lol.

i agree, it's not easy. but sometimes it can't be easy if you want to build a winner.

Forcing a player out isn't in the best interest especially when we have had issues with players reporting in the past.

It's tough for sure. I'm happy I'm not a GM. Everyone always says " if I won the lottery, I'd buy X team ", but not me, I'd buy the arena they play in. Lol.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Yes actually we can. Every other player on every other team goes through the same crap re: getting close with billets, local girlfriends.

You've been peddling the same excuses for 5 years, and while you admit we should have made trades you simultaneously don't seem to have learned a damn thing.

Can't wait to see all your excuses next spring when we are an easy 2nd round exit... again!

Reactions: Houndzfan20

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Let's save our opinions for where this team should go, and who should go, come Christmas time when we can see if we're contenders or pretenders...the more immediate concern at this time is who will be coaching this team next year as Dean's contract is expired..

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
Let's save our opinions for where this team should go, and who should go, come Christmas time when we can see if we're contenders or pretenders...the more immediate concern at this time is who will be coaching this team next year as Dean's contract is expired..
Ohhh Dean’er is coming back. This shouldn’t be a surprise.

You only change things when things need to be changed. There is a lot that needs to be changed about this upper and lower management group, but sadly, the upper agrees with the direction of the lower and is likely influential in all aspects of the decision making.
Making a small change like a coach in what was otherwise a season of results we all expected, would ultimately indicate the whole ship requires straightening out…and this certainly might be the case but unless you expect the entire ship to be sunk, don’t expect one deck mate to be kicked off when the team produced what everyone in the league (except some greyhound fans) expected.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
Dean staying for sure

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
Who went yesterday?

Anyone going today at noon?

I couldn't make it at 6 yesterday

Wonder why they're waiting to announce the Martin signing.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016

Hayton and McCann both did not get returned to the OHL for their last season. They 100% were going g to be traded. Our rebuild would have been unreal with the assets received. Phoenix and Vancouver made huge errors that hurt the Hounds and was not best for those two. Fortunately, their huge talents allowed them to succeed in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad