SSM Greyhounds 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
They gave it their all but Vaughan shrank their time and space to nil and the hounds never really got much going offensively.
Vaughan is such a good team. They were #1 in Ontario all season for a reason.

Was surprised when the Soo gave it to them during the round robin. Regardless, an incredible season for this U15 Soo team.

Hopefully Soo Hockey comes to their senses and gives them U16 cards, or you'll see a few players depart for the GTHL. A few already are from what I'm told.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Way to late to give U16 cards now. Too many Soo kids have committed down south already. They needed to announce the card a year ago to have any chance to keep this team together.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
Way to late to give U16 cards now. Too many Soo kids have committed down south already. They needed to announce the card a year ago to have any chance to keep this team together

i know that at least 3 maybe 4 committed to other teams this weekend.

you're right, it's too late now. but what a shame it is to deny a team that makes the ontario final in u15 cards for next year. that's a bad look. how does north bay get a u16 team with 30, 000 less people?

system doesn't make sense

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
i know that at least 3 maybe 4 committed to other teams this weekend.

you're right, it's too late now. but what a shame it is to deny a team that makes the ontario final in u15 cards for next year. that's a bad look. how does north bay get a u16 team with 30, 000 less people?

system doesn't make sense
Without question, it is and will always be the executive. The foresight to see deficiencies and adapt is as important as the ability to recognize moments of success and throw all the cards on the table (no pun intended).

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Don't see NB having a U16 team next year either. They didn't ice a U15 AAA team this year so don't see how they can do it.

Sudbury will be the lone U16 team left in the GNML.

Way to late to give U16 cards now. Too many Soo kids have committed down south already. They needed to announce the card a year ago to have any chance to keep this team together.
Which kids are leaving? I've heard a few, but not 100%

Perhaps there is a better place to discuss this?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I won't name names, but we will find out for sure in 2 weeks once tryouts are completed in southern ontario. I've heard word of mouth rumours of up to half the team going down south, but personally know of a couple that I would consider from more solid sources. But even if it's only a couple, it would be a couple of first liners - very hard to replace those players and run a competitive team next year.

Reactions: DeletedAccountt

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
I won't name names, but we will find out for sure in 2 weeks once tryouts are completed in southern ontario. I've heard word of mouth rumours of up to half the team going down south, but personally know of a couple that I would consider from more solid sources. But even if it's only a couple, it would be a couple of first liners - very hard to replace those players and run a competitive team next year.

have to imagine someone is going to give Rossetto a home next year. that kid's got sick hands.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
rumour around here is Martin won't report unless it's Guelph or Kitchener.
than let him rot at home and pick him anyways. the soo's days of letting top players trickle down to the london and kitcheners of the league are over. if he doesn't report he can spend his 16 year old season at home to the detriment of his own development and reputation. if those franchises want him they can pay for it.

pick the best player available. no exceptions.

Last edited:

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
than let him rot at home and pick him anyways. the soo's days of letting top players trickle down to the london and kitcheners of the league are over. if he doesn't report he can spend his 16 year old season at home to the detriment of his own development and reputation. if those franchises want him they can pay for it.

pick the best player available. no exceptions.
Problem is they won't " rot" at home. They will just cross the border to open arms and play just about anywhere they want.

Reactions: DeletedAccountt

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
I think what's happening is someone took the article about Martin where it says in a perfect situation thats where he'd like to play, and made it into this rumor that he said that he would only play there.

"If Martin had his way he’d be bound to nearby clubs such as the Kitchener Rangers or the Guelph Storm, where his family has had season’s tickets for the past seven years. That might be difficult since Kitchener holds the 10th and 11th picks while Guelph doesn’t select until 14th overall.

Whoever drafts him will be getting someone special, Ertel said."

I feel like the Greyhounds have kept open communication with Martin, and I feel confident he will report. Hounds will take him at 3 for sure, unless something crazy happens before we pick.

Martin said in the video the OHL posted today that he's been working for 10 years to get to the OHL. The way everyone has spoke of his character, The Hockey News posting an article about him, it doesn't sound like he's a kid who's going to pull this move. I don't know him personally or anything like that but just judging his character based off what I've read/heard.

Last edited:

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Problem is they won't " rot" at home. They will just cross the border to open arms and play just about anywhere they want.
I agree. Except that the supposed rationale behind not reporting was remaining close to home. If that's truly his reasoning then the NCAA route will not facilitate that.

My statement was based on that rumour. In other words, if he can't leave home to play in the OHL, he isn't ready to play in the OHL.

The bottom line is Raftis needs to "nut up" and pick the best player regardless of where a player would like to play. The privilege and entitlement of any kid who thinks they get to dictate where they go is nauseating. That's not how the draft works and Raftis would be doing a great disservice to the OHL to cater to the whims of a child and his parents/agent. That would set us back 15 years to a time that kind of thing happened all the time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad